Best hair jigs?

• Jasonerlandson

I’m going to pick up a few hair jigs for this spring. Any suggestions on which ones I should try?

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Dean’s Tackle Box . I really like these jigs.

That Kelly Green one in Wade’s link will NOT work

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

I’m going to pick up a few hair jigs for this spring. Any suggestions on which ones I should try?

Everts Resort has all the hair jigs you will ever need and they are right on the river

Stop in see them and you may even meet some IDO members while there.

What ever colors you buy DONT forget WHITE

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Might as well toss in 4 Season Hair Jigs too. They are all made buy the same guy. LOL!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Not sure what category they fall in but Fuzz-E-Grubs always have a spot in my box. They technically have hair right?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Dean’s, Evert’s or 4 Seasons. Nice jigs, reasonable.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Might as well toss in 4 Season Hair Jigs too. They are all made buy the same guy. LOL!

Well we know that

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m freaking buying a Powerball Chris!!

nauga-monster
    Milton, Wisconsin

Born in Alma here… this question has a very simple answer. Hands down “Killer Jigs” from Caption Hooks Tackle. They out fish any other hair jig that I have used. The pancake stle head cuts the current beautiful and causes the jig to dart through the water likae a shad, the marabou hair flutters in the water beautiful. The best 3 colors in pools 4 through 10 are hands down are 130, 139, and 152.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Hands down “Killer Jigs” from Caption Hooks Tackle,the marabou hair flutters in the water beautiful.

I have dealt with those jigs for many years and if my memory serves me right they are a synthetic hair jig with a 2″ nap and NOT a marabou jig.. I do agree tho they have their place while fishing walleye when dealing with heavy flow conditions,I also agree #152 is a great color.

When pitching tho,I have to agree on the teardrop bucktail jig in light weights 3/16 on down.

JMHO jeff

hnd

i like hutch’s

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I am a big fan of Jimmy D’s Riverbugs!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I am a big fan of Jimmy D’s Riverbugs!

I got a whole box full of them. If you’re not using bear, you’re not using hair!!

jbob
    Hastings, MN

Hutch’s # 1

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I bought some Jimmy D’s last spring for smallies, the real fish. I just haven’t found a time when they are the go to presentation for any species. For walleyes, I have caught them on plastic down to freezing, so I don’t see when a hair jig would outfish plastic. All I can figure is that in VERY clear, cold water during bright conditions they would be effective. Just waiting to have a day where I hammer fish on them (bass or eyes) so that I get a strong confidence in them.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

If I had to pick one bait to pitch for big river walleyes in months of May and October, it’d be a Jimmy D Walleye Weenie hair jig without a doubt.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Quote:

Born in Alma here… this question has a very simple answer. Hands down “Killer Jigs” from Caption Hooks Tackle. They out fish any other hair jig that I have used. The pancake stle head cuts the current beautiful and causes the jig to dart through the water likae a shad, the marabou hair flutters in the water beautiful. The best 3 colors in pools 4 through 10 are hands down are 130, 139, and 152.

Being from Alma you shouldn’t forget Lee’s fisher flick jigs. Same head as the killers with real hair and great paint.

nauga-monster
    Milton, Wisconsin

Absolutely… Also, I assumed it was some type of synthetic hair. Similar to marabou.

farmology

kelly green or black no meat from everts

nord

Very nice! Are you a powder paint man? I tie jigs too, so it’s easy to see quality work.

james_walleye
    rochester, mn

Ya I am. These are just a couple pics I had on my phone of a couple colors……

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Here is a dandy Pool 4 eye on a Jimmy D’s weenie jig!

buschman
    Pool 2

If you looking to buy a hair jig…… I would also say Jim D is the olny way to go. I have fished lots of hairs and now tie my own. Jimmy D weenie hairs are still #1 in my mind. I have no doubts about any part of how they are made and they will be made the way you want them.

I remember one day where me and another member of the site here pulled up on a spot and for two hours we could not keep them off the weenie jigs…. They chewed the hair off one after more fish than we could count and this was the first and olny time I have ever seen that with these jigs….. I am not saying this to push or pry…. They just catch fish. Thats all.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.