report for pool 5a

• minigrub
    Winona MN

Well, if you want to catch buckets of sauger, go below lock 5, you may have to fight off about 2 dozen or so boats, but if you can get a anchor down, you will have some good pan size fish, and a few small male walleyes in the midst. not alot of drifting going on due to the fishing pressure. Mostly jig and minnow, color seemed like it didn’t not matter, everyone was using different colors and everyone was getting fish. and alot of sorting was taken place. but I will let one note out of the bag for those pig hunters, saw two nice fish in the 25 to 30 inch range, caught on plastics, right off the current break closest to bass camp landing. did not see alot of small fish caught along the cabins but the ones I did see were of very nice size. and to the gentleman in the blue fisher, great job on the release of those two big eyes. the saugers that we caught were spawned out, and the walleyes, I believe were just small males, no milking yet. just a reminder to all that land at basscamp, it is a 7 dollar a shot landing fee, but on the other hand the fish are biting.

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

Thanks for the update. It’s good to see someone else on here fishing the same area I do. I’m heading out towards the Whitman dam early Saturday morning. Hopefully I’ll get lucky and find some action. Anyone else heading out there on Saturday? Any new updates?

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I’m going to be on the pool between Fountain City and the Dam. Will be in my little jon/merc.15. Probabally won’t fight the traffic by the dam but hope to find on breaks and wingdams.

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

I’ll be in the orange Lund/25hp Johnson. I plan to stay away from the dam a bit myself to avoid the crowds. I’ll say hi if I see you.

minigrub
    Winona MN

To all of you out Saturday Morning, remember that the flow is going down, to a small crawl, so work on the outside corners of the main channel, and try the front wingdam if you find three or more in a row on the same side, they are going to be looking for current. To some of the other die hards on this site, any other ideas, do you think a slow or fast presentation will have the upper hand. this site has serouisly increased my “in the boat ratio”, Thanks to all, and I will try and contiune with the reports too. Also let the big ones go, that way there will be more for the future. Another question I have, Does anyone think that with the low flow, the walleye hatch for this year will be stinted or not….

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I fished Whitman yesterday with some success. It was a great day to be on the water and even better since it was the first time in my new rig. I found saugers willing to bite from 17 – 30′ and about half were eaters. Spent much other time just getting used to the rig and trying out all the motors and gear.

I saw plenty of others catching enough fish to keep them out there. I would guess the average was about 20 boats at any one time within sight from my boat near the dam, not too bad since they were scattered from the rock pile to the wall and some in front of the camp ground below the launch. I never saw any pigs. The good news was that everything on the boat ran GREAT

Good luck to anyone getting out today, stay safe and practice CPR.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.