What’s the best test weight line ?

• cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Looking for opinions on the best weight of line also the best type of line (mono vs others) And what brand is best for Walleye/sauger fihing pool 4 while vertical jigging with a jig and minnow ? Also any color preference’s or just clear ? Thanks

abe
    La Crosse

I prefer using Fireline Crystal. I would problaby use 8lb test. Also use a fluoro carbon leader(6-8lb)

Good Luck!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I have been using the Suffix 832 (braid) on the river the past few years and I love it. I have both the hi vis and the new ghost and i don’t see a difference in the bite ratio. I have been using the 6/2 (test/diameter). Works great for pitching, dragging and jigging for me. Others may have different opinions but that is what has been working for me

johnie1610
    Eau Claire, WI

Power pro is all i use on the river. Berkley mono on the ultralights all depends what you are planning on doing

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

All I use is Cajun Braid or Power Pro and an appropriate sized leader

riverdan

Fireline crystal 4lb is the heaviest I ever use, right now my draggin rod has 2lb and main jig rod is 3lb used it for years don’t care much for suffix 832 unless its above freezing because it seems to freeze up

starvin pilgrim

I use Fire line with a leader 8lb Berkley low vis. green,both hard and soft water.

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

Suffix 832 6# good stuff!! Why do you guys use a leader?

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

I use 4-6# gold mono with a florocarbon leader of 6# test.I use the florocarbon because I want to put all the odds in my favor, if the water is somewhat clear or if the bite is tenative I feel more comfortable with the (invisible leader) hope this helps.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I use #6 Suffix 832 for vertical jigging and for pitching blades. I still like to use Suffix Siege tangerine orange #6 for pitching plastics. Fluorocarbon can provide some extra durability but I don’t hesitate to tie my baits directly to the chartreuse 832 or tangerine mono on the Mississippi River. I tried the yellow Cortland mono line but prefer the Orange Suffix.

Dave

walleye16
    SE, MN

Fireline crystal 6lb, Suffix 832 6lb and Trilene Sensation 6 or 8lb solar.

115Opti
    Phillips, WI

Fireline Crystal throwing crank baits for walleye.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

I use Suffix 832 for vertical jigging and for pitching blades. I still like to use Suffix Siege tangerine orange #6 for pitching plastics. Fluorocarbon can provide some extra durability but I don’t hesitate to tie my baits directly to the chartreuse 832 or tangerine mono on the Mississippi River. I tried the yellow Cortland mono line but prefer the Orange Suffix.

Dave

X2…that set up has not failed me for several years…

brianl

Hi-vis line…whichever you can personally see best in low light. Right now with the river being very clear a florocarbon leader on the end of either mono or hardline I agree is a good idea.

For fishing jigs in water less than 15′ mono or hardline. Mono for pitching jigs to shallow current I prefer 6 or 8#, deeper than 15′ I’d rather have hardline with a 2-4lb diameter for no stretch and better feel. I don’t do well with blades on mono at all.

Easier for me tie to floro leader with cold hands than hardline too.

Lot’s of good options mono or hardline and if you have spare spools for your reels you can be more versatile by being able to swap from mono to hardline in short order. Then you can test which works best for you from one situation to the next.

Brian

fishdale

Quote:

Suffix Siege tangerine orange #6 for pitching

+2 for the pitching rod.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.