Walleye Rig – Three-way trolling

• jumpndaboat
    Barneveld, WI

I have heard about this technique to catch walleyes but haven’t had much luck when trying it. Any I not rigging it correctly? Is this a popular technique with other walleye fishermen?

I rig it with a 3-5 oz anchor, i mean weight. One foot up from the weight is a 3-way swivel, and off the swivel is 4 feet of line with a pin minnow or storm thunderstick shallow diver.

Anyone have suggestions? Do you use this technique? Any specific time of the year that is more effective?

Thanks for your input and stories in advance,

JumpNDaBoat

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I run 3-way once in a while but mostly handline whis is similar to 3-ways. It is important to slow down your presentation. This would be a first question for ya, how slow are you going ?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

If you do a search on “Three way” you will get a ton of info. (Top of this page, click on the word “Search”.) Here is a link to an old post on this topic. Some good info there for starters.

3-way post

jumpndaboat
    Barneveld, WI

I have been varying my speeds to explore my options in the different currents. But I typically go around 1.5 mph. Thanks for the info and the link.

JumpNDaBoat

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Try slowing down your presentation to a crawl, then work the current seams. I’m not an expert, but it has produced well for me in the past.

Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

I’ve been using this technique for about 10 years on anything from walleyes on pool 4 to LARGE northerns on lakes.

Slowing down is the best advice your probably going to hear. This works extremely well when the current picks up speed and you need to keep the bait in front of fish to get them to bite. I’ve found on pool 4 that this is very productive early and late in the year. As the bite nears the spawning stage I’ve found that jigs have typically outproduce trolling, but not in every situation.

Try different baits and colors. Some days a blue and white rapala it the ticket, other days a clown color or firetiger can be hot.

Best of luck.

jumpndaboat
    Barneveld, WI

Very good website = very good fishing information and advise. I will give it a try. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.