Courtesy of others

• Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I know I might be seeming like a you know what but when someone else is fishing you dont need to pull within 10 feet of them. On tues we had a boat come between us and shore only about 20 feet from us at full throtle. There is just no need for that. there is plenty of river to motor in. Also when someone is casting and anchored they usally want to cast farther than 10 feet from the boat. I was unable to cast no farther than 15 feet on fri because we had boats on both sides and front and back. Just because someone caught a few fish doesnt mean you have to come right up next to them. I’m not trying to sound mean, I just want to say use some common sense and courtesy for others that are fishing. Has anyone else had this problem or know why people would do this?

Walleye Fool

Inge
    West Central WI

This topic has been a thread previously a number of times. While I don’t fish the river as often as most folks on this site, my experience has been during the real busy days, this happens on a regular basis. If you are going to fish the river, below the dams, its just something you have to deal with. The interesting part is many who do this don’t really see it as an “offense”. I have had folks come right up next to me, and start talking to me as if we were in the parking lot of a mall. It was obvious that from their prespective their actions were not out of the norm. For those like myself who most often fish “up north” this would be a real culturally “no no”.
    I guess you get to view it as a “tolerance improvement” exercise .
    Inge

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

I agree with Inge.
    If you anchor yourself mid stream or on a break line. YOU can expect that anyone fishing that break will be drifting by. It’s been my experiece tho that should you get something big on and obviously need more room other boats will give you that room.
    Be tolerant, patient, and don’t assume that everyone is being uncourtious. The river is busy this time of year.
    Enjoy the day not everyone has the opportunity to get out this time of year.
    Clarence

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

up in the dam I’m used to boats being in close proximity, it’s just the way it goes, authough I agree with you, running full bore so close is un-called for and down right dangerous. Usually you get out of this world what you put into it, and they will get they’res. Gills

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I know exactly what gills means. But I also agree with everyone esle it is just part of the normal routine.

What I think bothers me even more is when there is a popular drift happening and someone pulls in and anchors right in the middle. Most times that party doesn’t catch the fish they hope to, but it is their right to fish there too.

All in all I am very surprised how well mannered most folks are about this and how well everyone keeps an eye out trying not to bump into others. It’s like ice fishing. But instead of sitting in shacks we sit in boats.

Keep your lines tight!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I understand what you guys are saying but the thing is i was anchored below the vermilen wing damn so i was not in the middle of a drift. The people that came in on us were using their trolling motors and going around the wing dam and then inside of us. We were there most of the day and never say anyone drift pass the tip of it then come in so i know that wasnt there pattern til they saw us get a few fish. It just the point of they had to make a major effort to get between us and the shore or wing dam. So it leds me to believe we were not in their drifting pattern. Thanks for the input though guys. Any other input would be appriciated.

Walleye Fool

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.