High Water Walleyes

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Muddy Waters Guide Service

Well its starting to look like we may have another year of high water on our hands on the Mississippi River. From the spring floods at first I thought the levels may drop off fairly fast but with the hit and miss rain we have been getting, much of the state still holding a ton of water and a forecast calling for rain every day this week it looks like another high water river fishing season may be upon us. Not that that is all bad.

Here are a few tricks I use for approaching high water walleyes.

First of all Yes walleyes do feed in high water. They feed very aggressively in high water especially as the water temps warm to summer levels. The trick is finding them as they can be pushed into very small areas. It can also be challenging to get a lure properly presented to them with high currents and debris fouling the lines. The extra effort it takes to finding these hungry fish can well be worth the rewards as many time when one fish is found many other will be using the same area.

In very high flows my hunt for hungry walleyes usually starts off the main channel or very tight to the shorelines. In extreme high flows where the water is flowing over many of the river islands my fishing is almost always way back in the back waters. Im looking for rock and gravel areas back there. Channels with less flow that have current breaks in them and maybe some good wood structure. Sometimes even areas with a lot of wood laying on the bottom and flow going over them. Spots like this offer great areas for hungry walleyes to hide behind and dart into the current as a meal comes to them.

There are many ways to fish high water walleyes but my favorite are pitching jigs, crank baits, blade baits or long line trolling crank baits. Ill just let the location, water conditions and fish dictate what Im going to use and how to present it. A perfect example is finding active fish on a long stretch of rocky shoreline. Normally I may start with long line trolling this but if there is to much debris in the water that day I may switch up to pitching or vertical jigging. Give the same situation with a strong wind and good water conditions and I may be back to trolling. The good thing is once the fish are found in high water they tend to feed very aggressively and are willing to hit many different lures and presentations. Much more so than in low water conditions. If one presentation is not working do not hesitate to try another.

For jig fishing in high water live bait is usually reserved for a back up to using plastics, hair jigs and crank baits. As the fish are aggressively hitting lures the finesse approach of live bait is mostly not needed. For jigs white plastics are always a good bet in high muddy water. Another favorite is purple/chartreuse tail ring worms and paddle tails. For jig heads bright colors rule again in the high muddy river conditions but what may surprise many people is you do not always have to bulk up the jig weights in these conditions. 3/16th to 5/16th are still my most common sizes in high flow conditions. It is not until water levels drop and I move back out to the main channel that jig sizes start to get bulked up. Fishing these mid weight jig sizes gives you a good idea of what type of flow Im fishing. Keep in mind no mater how high the water gets there is always areas of less current and lower flow somewhere.

For casting and trolling crank baits there is not a lot of difference than what we use under normal water levels on the river. Match the diving abilities of the crank to the water depths you are fishing. I prefer cranks with rattles in them as the fish have limited sight in muddy water and the noise I believe helps them key in on the lures. For this same reason very bright colors can also help fish find the lures and having them tick the bottom while trolling will help with this also. Crank baits can be fantastic in high river conditions but on some days can be almost unfishable. Leaves and grass in the water which is common in high flows can quickly foul out these lures and cause you to constantly clean them or even get to the point that its to troublesome to fish them. At that point its very good to know there are many other ways to catch a walleye in high water conditions.

So in closing if this season plays out anything like last year on the Mississippi river and you are waiting until lower flow levels to go chase those hungry walleyes you might just be waiting your summer away. Those fish are still there and waiting for something to come by and tickle there nose so they can strike at it. You may have a little more time on the water spent looking for these hungry fish but once found the rewards can be great.

Good luck to those that are getting out and I know there are many other approaches and presentation that work in high water conditions. Please add what works for you to this post.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Forgot to add some comments about hair jigs.

One thing I want to add to this article is some information about hair jigs. As you can tell when it comes to plastics and crank baits bright colors and noise can be very effective. Now hair jigs on the other hand seem to be a very stealthy lure. They dont rattle like a crank bait or give off large amounts of vibration like the tail of a plastic but for some reason they can still be very effective. There are days that it amazes me that those walleyes can still find those little hair jigs in that fast muddy water and believe me they do. Many a 28″+ walleye has come to the boat using this approach.

If you want to check out many of the jigs and plastics I use on my trips take a look a bfishntackle.com. Their H20 jigs, Draggin Jigs, Moxies, Paddle tails and much more put the majority of big walleyes in my boat every year. If you have any question on their products feel free to ask here or send me a PM.

Good luck fishing guys.

stuart
    Mn.

Good read Mike.Looking forward to opener so I can get past the railroad tracks on P4.With this high water I have a place that they love to hang out.(Gravel road)

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Good read Mike.Looking forward to opener so I can get past the railroad tracks on P4.With this high water I have a place that they love to hang out.(Gravel road)

As kids we used to wade and pitch jigs on a flooded gravel road bed down in that area while dodging snakes swimming threw the woods. Never had a clue as to what we had found. Just thought we where luck to stumble across a decent bite.

stratos_375
    Southern Wisconsin

Great article, thanks for sharing, I have only been fishing rivers for the last few years and this article had a lot of good info.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

So with the high water, do you troll cranks with lead in the river and lake? I was thinking about heading to Pepin this weekend and trolling lead?

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Good article Mike…hope to see you down there soon.

J

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I dont spend anytime with leadcore. Now down on Pepin and lower st croix areas its a preferred method to fish. Hopefully one of the guys fishing these area will chime in with how high water effects their presentation and fishing.

There are guys that fish pool 2 lead core to but its just not a preferred method for me. Where I troll most of it is less than 12′ so long lining deep diving cranks works well. Long lining lets me keep the weight of the rod/reel combo down so there is no problem holding it in your hand for long periods of time. This also allows us to easily manipulate the speed of the lures by pulling them forward and dropping them back. This can be key for trigger fish at times. Depth is easily adjust by raising and lower the rod tip. IF you are running those lures on the bottom in the sticky stuff and where the bottom depth is all over the place quick adjustments need to be made. The absolute best part of trolling light combos with the rod in your hand is getting to feel those fish hit. This is the same reason my other main approach is pitching. If you are not feeling those fish smack the lures on the end of your line you are really missing out on a big part of fishing in my opinion.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Mike knows I always have a leadcore rod in the boat. Borrowed him one a while back. Got it back pretty quick.

I like running LC in this fast current to locate fish. Granted, not my favorite way to fish, but it does put fish in the boat. When the water is blowing through like it is now, I don’t want that crank too far back. Go for it!

-J.

backlasher
    Fridley, Mn

Always like to read your posts, Mike. In the high fast muddy water, I like to use larger profile baits. I like the 5″ k-grubs and large cranks to put out a lot of noise and vibration. Not to mention they cast easier and keep some of the smaller fish away.

fishdale

1st trip of the year ended up with 3 Eyes with the biggest being 22.

One thing good about high water is that it lets you retrieve the lures you lost in trees from last year. I got one of mine back from last year, new hooks and it will be ready to go. I will see how the Eyes like “faded Fire tiger”

Now once the river drops I can retrieve the 2 I lost on wing dams on this outing.

The river giveth and taketh away.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The river giveth and taketh away.

That for sure. I always tell people that why they make more lures. Beem trying to get out all week to chase those hungry high water walleyes but keep getting bogged down with work. Saturday morning cant come soon enough.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

For those of you hoping for river levels to drop before getting out this doesnt look good. Pool 2 is heading back to flood stage very soon.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.