Walleye glide bait rods

• Prodigyboatsguy

Okay guys and gals, I read so much on the internet and like all discussions around what rods people like for specific tactics you see a wide variety of responses.

After doing lots of searching on here as well as through some tourney anglers to just avid sportsmen I wanted to get another look at things through a slightly different question.

When glide bait fishing, jigging raps, shiver minnows, hyper rattles, pitchin puppets ect I find a lot of people really do like a medium extra fast rod. Some unique thoughts on this topic from research. Most people agree that in some form you need a place in the system that has give some use mono lines with those extra fast rods. Others use their drags to moderate, and the linders promoted a softer moderate action medium power rod. I have seen others use medium light rods but seeking out individuals that fish these style baits a ton and what they have to say on this topic.

I recently went out and tried throwing a puppet minnow with great success landing multiple 24-28” eyes in a day but also lost many nice fish. Was running a eyecon medium “snap jig” extra fast 6’8”. Curious as to also if anyone uses a mono leader in place of floro to provide a little extra give to help land fish.

Long and drawn out post but figured it’d start some good conversation within the group. Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. 5CB8CAAD-C4DF-4144-BF61-EBD344D0413B-scaled.jpeg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I did some of this style of fishing last year and I used a ML fast action rod with mono line. I believe this was what Tom Boley uses when he fishes this style of bait on his Youtube channel. The softer line and rod helps with not ripping the hooks out since it is such an aggressive jig. It seemed the fish would always hit on the drop. After every time it dropped, you would rip it like you were half setting the hook. If there was weight you would go full hook set. I have not done enough of this style of fishing to say this is the best set up. But I didn’t lose any fish.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

This is my confidence technique and use it religiously. Personally, I have found a cheaper rod from Scheels (Scheels pro angler 7′ Med. Fast) has been the best fit. This isn’t a finesse presentation at all so after I broke my expensive “jiggin rap” rod I bought this as a quick fix and have loved it.
    I run 20lb suffix braid as the main line to a small ant swivel then 18-24″ of 10lb floro with a snap. I keep my drag loose enough so it clicks a time or 2 on the snap then when I get a fish hooked up I loosen my drag way up and play with that and it has helped me keep fish pinned.
    I havent switched over to mono yet (really need to try it some weekend) but I have another spool rigged up that I can change on my reel if id want to. Speaking of reels, I run a higher gear ratio reel to help pick up a bit more line. Currently loving the Daiwa Exceler 2500XH. think it picks up almost 35″ per crank

zooks

I like a stouter rod like the one you’re using, currently run a 2B 6’9″ MF, cause I prefer to have more control over the lure and dislike how mushy a ML rod feels when popping a 5/8oz+ bait. I run full mono, 10lb Sufix Advanced, to help with shock absorption and keep fish pinned. A 25 or 30 series reel is nice for balance and line pickup, too.

Some people prefer the softer rods, some swear by braid, but it’s all personal preference cause the fish don’t care as long as you present the bait correctly and you can get them in the boat. Good luck.

Prodigyboatsguy

Great point. I have seen his videos and agree that a few key anglers do use those ML rods. I just get a little worried that throwing a 5/8oz or 1oz chunk of lead / metal on a ML fast rod will result in a guy having to really rip it vs when I was using the medium extra fast I found if I was ripping it hard I wouldn’t get any hits was a much smaller rip. Double edge sword it seem to either end.

Prodigyboatsguy

Were you running the “jig N rap” croix rod prior to your scheels? Agree a nice spendy rod doesn’t always make the fish bite haha.
    Also agree, I’m running a 2509 ballistic as well as a fuego with the 6.2 or 6.4 to one ratio. (Don’t need a spendy reel but had a few extra gift cards that needed to be spent up haha)

Prodigyboatsguy

Do you find it takes a while or did it take a while to get use to the mono? I’ve debated maybe just adding a 2-4 foot mono leader to see if it helps a big with keepin em pinned while still having most of the feel

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Were you running the “jig N rap” croix rod prior to your scheels? Agree a nice spendy rod doesn’t always make the fish bite haha.
    Also agree, I’m running a 2509 ballistic as well as a fuego with the 6.2 or 6.4 to one ratio. (Don’t need a spendy reel but had a few extra gift cards that needed to be spent up haha)

No I had a custom rod

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I was not using 5/8oz or 1oz lures. The baits I was using were a little heavier than 3/8 oz. I would have overpowered the blank if I used anything heavier than that. I would think a 7′-1″ to 7′-6″ medium power, mod-fast action rod would work well.

Matthew Sandys

I have seen and done with the medium fast using mono as the shock absorber and then with the medium light use braid as the rod absorbs some more shock.
    It helps to keep them pinned up.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

For #5 and #7 jig raps I use an old cheap pflueger 6’6″ medium moderate with 8lb mono.
    For the large shiver minnows and #9 jig raps I use a St. Croix Eyecon 6’8″ medium extra fast with braid and a long mono or flouro leader.

Red Eye

I throw #7 jig raps on a custom 6’10” mxf, but I would say this blank is on the softer side of a mxf. Blanks can vary a lot. For instance this 6’10” mxf is way softer than another 6’8” mxf made by the same company in the same line of blanks. I use 8lb fireline with a 4’ 10lb floro leader. I might over do my jig stroke but I am ripping about as hard as I can and seem to have better results the harder I rip the bait. Definitely not something I can do for 8 hours straight. Had quite a sore arm on Monday morning.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Great observation Red Eye. One would not have to rip as hard if the blank was a bit stiffer. Same could be said if the blank was a bit longer. But it still needs to be soft enough to keep the fish pinned and not rip lips.

Do you know what blank was used on your rod so I can look up the CCS?

I would not mind building a new rod just for this technique. But I need to figure out what blank attributes gives me the best lure action with minimal effort.

Prodigyboatsguy

I throw #7 jig raps on a custom 6’10” mxf, but I would say this blank is on the softer side of a mxf. Blanks can vary a lot. For instance this 6’10” mxf is way softer than another 6’8” mxf made by the same company in the same line of blanks. I use 8lb fireline with a 4’ 10lb floro leader. I might over do my jig stroke but I am ripping about as hard as I can and seem to have better results the harder I rip the bait. Definitely not something I can do for 8 hours straight. Had quite a sore arm on Monday morning.

I was the opposite, I found small short fast rips did the ticket and the longer rips weren’t getting a bite. But. Could be the lake. The conditions ect. I was using a st croix eyecon “snap jig” mXF which I believe is the blank is the SC2 I did get a legend tournament “jig n rap” model which is the SC4 blank. While it states medium power mod-fast it seems much faster than other medium mod fast rods. More like a medium fast. I know the stiffer the action the less work in theory you need to put into it but as rodworks mentioned needs to have enough give to fight the fish. I’ll give this one a shot and see how it works. Wondering if they built this dedicated rod a little longer 7’1 to help with the lift with a softer action.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rod manufacturers can call blanks whatever they would like. I have seen some call one blank fast and the exact same blank also called extra fast in a different line. The Common Cents System (CCS) is the best way to rate a blank.

Red Eye

The blanks I used were both Rainshadow Revolations the 6-10 is what they sell as a drop shot blank.
    Rvs610mxf-sb
    Rvs68mxf-sb
    I use the 6’8” a lot in the spring when we are rip jiggin spot tails.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I read that the IMMWS72ML-TC was designed for this. Yet in the applications it is not listed? I will have to see how all these blanks compare. I have built on all these blanks. Just never tested it with this style of fishing. Looking over my notes, I think these 3 blanks are a little under powered for this. They would be great choices for the smaller baits. I will call up and ask what the owners think instead of just going off my memory.

Prodigyboatsguy

Rod manufacturers can call blanks whatever they would like. I have seen some call one blank fast and the exact same blank also called extra fast in a different line. The Common Cents System (CCS) is the best way to rate a rod.

Would be nice if there was a “standard” almost like FEPA abrasive grades, ect. Would just make it a bit easier for anglers to have a good idea and a basis to start with.

Red Eye

I read that the IMMWS72ML-TC was designed for this. Yet in the applications it is not listed? I will have to see how all these blanks compare. I have built on all these blanks. Just never tested it with this style of fishing. Looking over my notes, I think these 3 blanks are a little under powered for this. They would be great choices for the smaller baits. I will call up and ask what the owners think instead of just going off my memory.

I lindy rig with that 7’2” ml immortal. I think it would be to light for me ripping jig raps. But might have to give it a try.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Would be nice if there was a “standard” almost like FEPA abrasive grades, ect. Would just make it a bit easier for anglers to have a good idea and a basis to start with.

It is hard to put a standard on it. There is a push to use the CCS system to standardize blank ratings. The problem is the same blank with heavier guides will have a slower reaction than the one with lighter guides. Guide placement also comes into play. 2 completed rods built differently can act differently with the same blank.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’m a big fan of the St. Croix Legend Tourney Walleye 71MMF. I run alot of puppet minnows in #7 (9/16 oz.) with 15# Seguar hardline to a 10# fluoro leader, so the rod flex is pretty important. I’m a Croix guy, so there’s a bias for sure, but I’m one who prefers the play to be in the rod blank rather than my line. I just appreciate extra feel from hard line being transmitted through a more sensitive blank, and while most times that’s not needed on a fish pickup, it’s really useful to tell if you’ve fouled in weeds or on the line itself.

The Eyecon 71MMF is an honorable mention, and actually fishes just a touch slower than the LTW71MMF, so if you’re concerned about the rod being too unforgiving or losing fish, that’s a good one to try.

I think losing fish on these baits can be inevitable at times, but with consistent pressure and a good net buddy I tend to keep a strong majority of fish buttoned up. Most fish I miss/lose come from rolling them at the end of a long cast and never putting a good hook in them to begin with. Just my experiences.

Joel

hillhiker
    SE MN

I run braid direct to jigging raps when fishing them. To make up for that I have a 7′ Fenwick HMX that says medium fast, but it’s more like a medium moderate fast. It does a great job keeping fish pinned. It’s too bad they must have switched blanks, and I can’t find another one quite like it. Before this rod I had a HMG in 7 or 7’3″ Med-light fast that was good as well.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Ah yes my all time confidence lure! Whatever rod/line combo you choose, make sure you use a swivel. Those glide baits will mess up your line pretty bad from my experience. My dedicated rod is a medium fast HMG but you can alternate what feels best for you. Suffix 12lb braid to a mono leader is what I like.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.