Walleye Anglers vs Bass Anglers

• Justin Donson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin Donson wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>
    Um… find a dock

You’ve caught 70 bass under one dock? Maybe I’m fishing the wrong docks!

more than that.

I’m really intrigued. Are we talking like huge 40 boat slip dock system on the river/lake of the ozarks, or like, standard dock with one boat lift on White Bear Lake?

If it’s the latter, wow, I’d love to see that!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Actually a lake in central Minnesota, that I grew up on. We could pull Bass ALL DAY under our dock and pontoon, the neighbors docks, across the lake docks, they were just like Sunfish & Perch. From 1/2 pound to 3 lber’s mostly. A can of corn and you could catch non stop until you were out of corn. Growing up, I caught very few walleye, lots of hammer handles and way too many bass, maybe that’s why I don’t really target them now !

Beast

As a walleye snob, I’ve often thought bass were “easier” to catch. Bass were always a bycatch while walleye fishing and at times, you can catch them at will.

Fast forward a few years and I dabbled in the bass tournament scene out here in Idaho. There are a lot of bass clubs and tournament opportunities almost every weekend. Since walleyes and walleye tournaments aren’t as common, it was a way to fish competitively without driving hours and hours. What I found is that while catching bass is still pretty easy, finding the right 5 big bites to be competitive is very difficult. For the walleye guys that think bass are easy to catch, throw a couple hundred bucks into a decent size bass tournament and see where that gets you. Just like in the walleye world, the top of each tournament field has everything absolutely dialed in. Big fish of any species are tough. Takes time, effort, dedication to perfect your craft.

This ^^^^^
    I fished local tournaments since 1987 until 2018, getting the right 5 bass consistently seperates the men from the boys. as far as bass fisherman keeping walleyes, some do most don’t, and even less keep them in a bass tournament, when you figure the weigh in time,the award time and travel time home, most don’t have the energy or time at the end of the day to deal with cleaning walleye. On the other hand, I know many a walleye fisherman that will keep every bass they catch, they feel the bass are what’s ruining the population of walleye in the lake.
    And I can’t begin to tell you how many lake residence follow the bent rod pattern watching tournament fishermen and go to that spot and clean out bass off that particular piece of structure.
    You guys do realize live bait isn’t allowed in any bass tournaments right?

Beast

Another thought , I know invasive lake plants need to be controlled, but some of the lakefront owners think every weed in front of their property needs to be gone, this takes away cover and food fingerlings need to survive and grow.The way some of these lake associations go about “protecting” these lakes are downright scary.

mnfisherman18

This is a good topic with lots of interesting responses. My general thoughts are as follows:

Walleyes are definitely tougher to catch on your average MN lake.
    – Putting together a winning 5 fish bag is equally difficult in walleye and bass tournaments.
    – Serious walleye fisherman never keep bass and serious bass fisherman rarely keep walleye, but your average Joe who is just fishing for what bites is usually keeping every walleye they catch.

I’m a walleye guy through and through, but its tough to beat the rush of a good bass top-water bite.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Another thought , I know invasive lake plants need to be controlled, but some of the lakefront owners think every weed in front of their property needs to be gone, this takes away cover and food fingerlings need to survive and grow.The way some of these lake associations go about “protecting” these lakes are downright scary.

Its way out of hand. The DNR doesn’t monitor this at all. They are only supposed to be able to target certain types of weeds but they target all of them. I know of several lakes that use to have a ton of Great weeds and great fishing for all species including walleyes. Now you cant hardly find a weed in some of these lakes or any fish either.

Speaking of weeds. I think the reason some fishermen have a tough time catching walleyes these days is that they grew up only fishing walleyes out in open basins and far away from the weeds. I know in a lot of the Metro lakes the walleyes have adapted and have become much more of a weed relating species that they use to be. I use to catch a ton of eyes on the weedlines and also got a fair amount while flipping the heavy foil. I even use to catch a few of them while skipping docks. One of the biggest walleyes I ever caught (30’+ ) I caught while skipping docks in a shallow bay on Tonka. I thought I had a monster bass. I was rather shocked when I got a look and saw a white tip on the tail.

Charles

Ruth Lake up in emily, I would say its one of best Bass lakes in state, however when the associations decide to spray mid summer it SUCKS!!! very short time period that produces huge bags.

Slipbob nick

Green in Princeton got sprayed when the temps were still super low with no weed growth. Unreal! Every time they spray the lake we’re on the fishing sucks after and the plants decompose and we have brown water instead of some weeds. Drives me nuts. Dnr should ban spraying and associations should use weed harvesters for specific problem areas

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

There isn’t a species I don’t like to target…..all have their good qualities and depending on time of year and conditions it is easier to catch certain species. I don’t fish walleyes much on the local lakes in the summer….they are deep and hard to catch. I’d rather have fun and get after bass and pannies versus fishing all day for one or two walleye. Another reason the river is so great….you can catch them all with ease!

I grew up on bass because that’s what was available. I agree it’s easier to catch small bass than walleyes but I have a much better chance getting a 28″ walleye than a 5# bass….all big fish are tough to target.

I did keep a bass for the first time last weekend on LOTW. It was about a 12″ smallie and wanted to try it….probably won’t do that again. Pretty fishy tasting unless it was slathered in tarter.

saugeye-steve

Bass fishing is to fishing as mini golf is to golf.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Pretty fishy tasting unless it was slathered in tarter.

Try an early season largemouth instead. 1 to 1 1/2 pounds.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Every one claims bass are so easy.
    Post a pic of a bass over 5 or 6 lbs.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Picked up a couple of these walleye fishing today.

Attachments:
    1. images-1.jpeg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I don’t fish below the equator. head below the ice belt and those 5-6 are plentiful just like 15-18″ crappies. warmer temps year round equals year round feed bags for those bass.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Consistently catching big bass using artificial lures on pressured waters is no easy task. Anyone that claims otherwise is lying and has never tried to do it. Even professionals have trouble with this. I bass fish most of the season mostly on pressured greater metro waters, in addition to Mille Lacs a couple times, and I catch maybe 3 true tankers all season that are 20 inches/5 pounds or bigger.

Accidentally stumbling into a bass or two while targeting walleyes with live bait or trolling is not bass fishing. That’s accidental by-catch.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Caught this one Walleye fishing in Koronis… nobody said catching Bass over 5 lbs was easy.. are people saying catching over 30″ Walleyes easy ? coffee

Attachments:
    1. Smallie.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have a few dozen from Mille Lacs, mostly by-catch with a couple dedicated bass trips mixed in. Here’s my last and PB, 21.5” 6.25 lbs. Only 1 walleye over 30″ while specifically targeting them 95% of the time.

Attachments:
    1. DE15990A-8415-454A-8E0B-5F1E9CEF247B.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Come on Big_G,
    All us Bass guy’s know that 30″ walleyes are a dime a dozen! woot rotflol jester

Thank you for your paid membership to B.A.S.S. Below is a summary of your account:
    Name: EELPOUTGUY Matt
    Member Number: 104775143
    As a B.A.S.S. Member, you will receive every issue of the award-winning publication ? Bassmaster Magazine. Each issue is packed with tips and techniques from the world’s greatest anglers that will make you a better bass fisherman.

Deuces

Real walleye guys don’t take pics with bass. jester

I usually get a couple on the river over 5# every year. Fun stuff.

Viewing 20 posts - 91 through 110 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.