Walleye Anglers vs Bass Anglers

• Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Stole this from the latest Target Walleye email and had a good chuckle. Some of you may get a kick out of it. jester They were referencing the results of the Sturgeon Bay Bass Tournament where a number of walleye pros performed quite well.

Attachments:
    1. Walleye_VS_Bass.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Probably caught em trolling or with live bait. Oh wait, those are both banned in bass tournaments. jester

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE! rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I bass fish 90 percent of the time. I find trolling to be incredibly lame. And I get sick of catching fish that I think are a small clump of weeds.
    But I also walleye fish. I always find it funny when walleye only guys act like bass are so easy, until they try to target them and can’t come up with anything over 2lbs.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I used to fish almost nothing but eyes. After joining a multi-species league a few years ago, it’s now about 50/50. I personally have an easier time with bass, but I know there’s more to it than that. Haven’t fished a bass tournament, yet. I just enjoying the rivalry, and a little needling now and then!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Absolutely. The trash talk is the fun of it. And I love trashing on these bass guys as well in there fancy boats and cute team shirts who need 50 carpet decals to fit in. I find it all fun. I love being on both sides and pushing buttons

Reef W

I find trolling to be incredibly lame. And I get sick of catching fish that I think are a small clump of weeds.

I don’t like trolling with rods that are too heavy. With ML rods that I use for walleye you know when you have a fish and actually have a regular fight to the boat. Heavy rods with leadcore, on the other end, are kind of boring when you’re just winching in dead weight to find out if you’ve been dragging a fish for 20 minutes or not lol

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Over my fishing lifetime I have targeted and fished for most all fresh water species. They all offer a different challenge and I enjoy catching them all. Open water season these days I probably spend 70-80% of my time chasing Bass. Like other have said, I’m not a big fan of trolling or messing with live bait. Part of it for me is the #’s of fish I can catch in a outing and how many good lakes I can find in a short drive. There seems to be way more lakes with a good population of Bass than Walleye. I know I will get slammed here for saying it, but I think the reason there are more good bass lakes than walleye lakes is the focus on catch and release fishing. There just seems to be far to many walleye fishermen who’s main objective each outing is to catch and keep as many fish as allowed. With the technology available today and the #’s of people fishing I just don’t think lakes can produce or be stocked with enough fish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I know I will get slammed here for saying it, but I think the reason there are more good bass lakes than walleye lakes is the focus on catch and release fishing. There just seems to be far to many walleye fishermen who’s main objective each outing is to catch and keep as many fish as allowed.

applause

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I think the reason there are more good bass lakes than walleye lakes is the focus on catch and release fishing.

Yep. I know this is the main reason I find bass easier, particularly on the lakes I normally fish. Or, maybe I’m not much of a walleye fisherman!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Need I say more?

Attachments:
    1. carp.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I always love that meme rotflol . It is pretty crazy how well some of the best walleye anglers due in the big open derby’s like Sturgeon Bay and Kenora. I’m sure the best bass anglers could do well in a walleye tourney, but the money isn’t there to justify the cost (purse money, likely need to find a new boat to use, walleye tourneys in a whole different part of the country etc.).

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

This is hard for me to say….and the first time I have publicly admitted it. But, I like to fish for pike.

(Audible gasp)

Feels so good to just say it!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

shock Guy’s I think it’s time for an intervention.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

But, I like to fish for pike.

You just had to bring those slimy devils in to this, didn’t you.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This is hard for me to say….and the first time I have publicly admitted it. But, I like to fish for pike.

(Audible gasp)

Your secret is safe with me Matt, as long as you don’t tell anyone I think pike taste just as good or better than walleye! Shhhhhhhhhhhh

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

(Audible gasp)

Your secret is safe with me Matt, as long as you don’t tell anyone I think pike taste just as good or better than walleye! Shhhhhhhhhhhh

Cause they do Werm! But who wants to deal with those frickin bones.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

(Audible gasp)

Pike are delicious. Most walleye just tastes like batter. I think smaller bass taste better then the eyes

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Pike are delicious. Most walleye just tastes like batter. I think smaller bass taste better then the eyes

X2 – But don’t tell anyone – Don’t want people targeting and keeping Bass.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

(Audible gasp)

Your not the only one. But I only target them in Canada. If Minnesota could ever manage to get large pike back in Minnesota waters it would be great.

saugeye-steve

I know I will get slammed here for saying it, but I think the reason there are more good bass lakes than walleye lakes is the focus on catch and release fishing.

Unfortunately this isn’t the case.
    Almost all lakes in the upper Midwest support a healthy largemouth bass population due to habitat, water chemistry and forage.
    A quite small percentage of lakes support walleyes that need a certain ph, food, depth and spawning structure.

Charles

Hate trolling, however walleyes and plastics can be fun!

But bass 70% of the time, 4lb smallmouth are a hoot!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Notice how walleye pros often fish some bass events also? Korey springel. He fishes the NWT and is one of the most consistent and talented anglers on the tour. He does bass events between the walleye events. How many bass pros do you see doing walleye events between their bass events? 0. Because bass are easy to catch. Give a 6 year old a rod and tell them to catch a fish, what are they most likely to catch first? A bass or walleye?

To me bass are like fishing for panfish. I can find them any time pretty much anywhere. Then they bite basically whatever you throw to them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Pike are delicious.

I agree, they aren’t bad if you catch smaller ones out of colder water and you know how to filet them properly, and you can get past the slime. I’ve never been very proficient at removing the y bones so the only ones I keep are the ones I use for pickling. Considering the daily bag limit is 10 in most of the state, maybe we’re not fully utilizing this abundant resource?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I also enjoy fishing for pike. In open water I do about 20% panfish, 10% sturgeon, 25% muskie, 20% walleye, 23% pike, and 2% bass. The only time I target bass is when I have not caught anything else and need the feel of a tug on my line so I can go home and say I was not skunked.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

How many bass pros do you see doing walleye events between their bass events? 0

I think that has more to do with the prize and cost for them to do a walleye tourney doesn’t make sense, while most of the best walleye guys fish the open derby’s for the paycheck and increased notoriety.

Considering the daily bag limit is 10 in most of the state, maybe we’re not fully utilizing this abundant resource?

I often wonder if more people kept and ate pike if that would have a measurable positive impact on the other species.

FryDog62

Bass fishermen stand up to fish (and pee)

Walleye fishermen, well let’s just say they sit a lot…
    whistling

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Back around 1978, a guy named Al Linder mentioned to me that if you want to catch big smallmouth, understand how walleyes relate to transitions. Couple years later, I focused on walleyes as a primary target and my success skyrocketed. I’ve learned a heck of a lot more about how to connect the dots in habit, conditions, moon phases….from chasing eyes than bass.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

whistling

…did your boyfriend bass angler teach you that line? wave

I love joking both ways. I primarily walleye fish, but respect bass fishing too just struggle with some of the gimmicky shiny decals, gear, jerseys, etc. Bass anglers have completely taken control with their catch and release mantra. Guys are nearly killed for keeping a few 12-14″ cold water smallies where they are legal despite it being nearly impossible to tell the difference at the table. A lot of walleye guys better find a way to start enjoying bass fishing. Take a look at some of the bass populations exploding in the last decade on some prominent “walleye” lakes.

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FryDog62 wrote:</div>

whistling

…did your boyfriend bass angler teach you that line? wave

I love joking both ways.

No worries, there are many good jokes too about us knuckle-dragging neanderthal bass fishermen – all in good fun. At the end of the day, I’m just glad we aren’t all after the same species or the pressure would be even higher. Now accuse us of driving a Bronco Sport, now that might get us riled up!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.