Wacky worm hooks?

• mrpike1973

I have used 3/0 4/0 EWG hooks up to now. At the local bait shop they had VMC wacky hooks they are much smaller and almost look like a circle hook. Do these work much better? I got 1/0 and 2/0 I think they would be more compact but worried about hook ups. Opinions thoughts?

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

You will get excellent hook ups with the 1/0 VMC wacky hooks. You may also want to try Neko hooks for wacky rigging…Work fantastic…

Ryan Wilson

I use the weedless wacky VMC’s and you set the hook kind of like octopus/circle hooks, let the fish and hook do most of the work and be sure to keep the line taught. Usually, if I try to set the hook like one would with a “regular” hook, I just pull the hook out of the fishes mouth most times. I really appreciate the weedless feature though. However, the “weedless” wire gets easily bent and twisted after a few good fish. It’s easy enough to bend it back though. You won’t have to worry about that though if using the regular wacky hooks.

As to working much better, well, that would be up to the individual angler but they most certainly do hook fish.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use Gamakatsu FINESSE WIDE GAP. Cant remember the size 1 or 2 ought. Big. I also use them fishing big minnows. Very versatile and strong hook that will handle any size fish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The VMC wacky hooks do what they’re designed to: catch bass while using a wacky rig. Lots of other style hooks will likely work but they may not work as well. Using a specific wacky hook allows the stick bait to slide through weeds a little better than other hooks based on my experience. They also make wacky jigs which help get the lure deeper.

Fish To Escape

X2 on the Neko hooks. I like the weedless version

tim hurley

Tried them all-owner makes the best weedless wacky-IMHO

danl

I have tried a lot of hooks for wacky fishing. I keep going back to a size 2/O or 3/O EWG hook.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

You will get excellent hook ups with the 1/0 VMC wacky hooks. You may also want to try Neko hooks for wacky rigging…Work fantastic…

X2. The VMC wacky and neko hooks are the stickiest hooks I’ve ever used. I’ve caught plenty of nice 4-5 lbers on those little guys and they stand up to the task and don’t bend. I also have to use pliers to get the hooks out half the time because they stick in the fish so well. Blows my mind how that little hook grabs so well.

FryDog62

X5 on VMC hooks… the wacky hooks will work well for you. However I think the best hooks for wacky worming are the weedless VMC Neko hooks size 2 (not to be confused with 2/0).

Hookups for me have been 100% and with the slightly longer shank of a Neko hook, it’s uncanny how much better they hook in the roof of the mouth. I have never gut hooked a fish since switching to the Neko hooks 2 years ago, and I did plenty with the regular wacky hooks previously.

mrpike1973

Wow thanks everyone I have throat hooked a few through the years using these wacky hooks sounds way better. Thanks everyone!

grizzly
    nebraska

What are wacky hooks? Never heard of them

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.