Vinegar for the canning season.

• riverruns
    Inactive

I picked up 13 gallons at FF today. 5% acidity. It’s what you want for canning. Price is $2 gallon. I’m thinking you’ll be hard pressed to find a better deal than this.

Attachments:
    1. 15631552913391421618445.jpg

Brad Dimond

Pick up some lime juice, substitute for half of the vinegar in your salsa recipe. Retains the acidity while add some zest to the flavor.

riverruns
    Inactive

Pick up some lime juice, substitute for half of the vinegar in your salsa recipe. Retains the acidity while add some zest to the flavor.

Yep. That will work also for making tomato juice.

For me canning dill pickles I still need the vinegar.

I did also find a better deal. It was $1.89/gallon. Didn’t need any so I didn’t buy any.

Good luck with the canning season. So far we’ve only have done 40 quarts and 5 one gallon jars of pickles. Way behind last year.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Riverruns? Are you doing commercial food service of anytype? That’s a lot of pickles, no?

riverruns
    Inactive

Nothing commercial. All of it gets used some how.

Last year was just over 300 quarts of dill pickles. I wont be doing that this year. Not for the lack of cucumbers but the lack of time and will to set a new personal record. jester

sji

Riverruns? Are you doing commercial food service of anytype? That’s a lot of pickles, no?

That’s a lot of pickles, YES!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

River….

Do you use the white vinegar for dills? I’ve always used the cider after trying the white and not caring for the finished product. Just curious. Everyone I know uses cider for pickles but maybe you’re just showing the white in the picture?

riverruns
    Inactive

I have never used cider vinegar for canning pickles. You are the first person I’ve ever heard of using cider instead of white.

riverruns
    Inactive

Ending the season with 109 quarts of pickles canned. About 1/3 of last years season. I have plenty of dill vacuum sealed for next year.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.