Vilas Cnty Ice Fishing Trip Planned

• Amos
    Perry, Michigan

A couple of us are considering an ice fishing trip to the Vilas county area of northern Wisconsin. We are a bit up in the air as to the time of year, but would probably have to be mid-season to late season. We want to coordinate this with a trip to the Sturgeon Bay area to fish for whitefish. Does anyone have any experience with the guides in the Vilas county area? Would like to hear good or bad. If you prefer, you can email me at [email protected]. The plan is to fish with a guide for a day, than fish on our own for a couple of days. This can either be prior to Sturgeon Bay or after.
    Thanks for any help.
    Dan

Tim Watson

I would go with guide Rob Manthei. He’s located in St. Germain, on Big St. Germain Lake. He has a great reputation.

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

Tim,
    I have seen him on some of the Wisconsin fishing programs. Seems John Gillespie likes to fish with him. They seem to be on fish during the TV programs. Have you had any personal experience with him?
    Dan

ld123456

Rob’s a good guy and you can stay right at his resort which includeds a bar and restaurant. Google his place, Fibbers Resort St. Germain

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Lots of great places to fish in that area, if I knew when you would be there and I was free, I would spend a day or two showing you some good areas for free.

Lots of great lakes to fish, Lac Vieux Desert, Palmer, Twin Lakes, Big Lake, Black Oak for Trout, Star Lake, way too many to list.

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

icenutz,
    Thanks for the info. Your offer to fish with us is a very nice gesture. If we do end up going to northern Wisconsin, this year, I’ll let you know. I’d love to meet and fish with someone familiar with the different bodies of water.
    Dan

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

Thanks for the info. If nothing else, we’ll have to make an effort to hit his tackle shop.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Dan,

Not a problem, I did the same thing for a veteran returning from Iraq and a few of his friends a couple years back. We had a great time.

I used to live on that side of the state and get back there to fish on occasion with friends and family. Another good lake is Pelican in Oneida county on the way up Hwy 45.

There can be a really good night time Crappie/Walleye bite as well as daytime for Crappie, Gills, and Perch.

Tip Downs work well for Crappie, Perch and Eyes.

Chad
    Southwest Wisconsin

I would also recommend Rob, he is a great guide year round and really knows his stuff. I have a place in vilas county and there is a ton of water and different lakes to hit, if 1 is off go to the next. The flowages can be great for walleyes perch and big crappies!

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

Icenutz,
    Sounds like you and I would hit it off if given a chance to fish together. I would love the opportunity sometime. This year, my buddy and I decided to fish on Chequamegon Bay with Josh Teigen. If that goes well, we might expand our time in the Wisconsin north next year. I’ll try to touch base with you if we decide to do that.
    Once again, I appreciate your offer more than you can know.
    Dan

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Amos,i and three others are going up the 16th thru the 19th of Feb.We have Rob booked for a day.Will let you know how it goes.Might come in useful in the future.

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

Thanks. Really appreciate it. I’m curious about that time of year, too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.