Video – True D-Bag

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Did he actually reference Don Cherry??? What was that.

Disclaimer, there is some foul language. Not a ton, but some.

See if you can spot the irony.

Hint: It’s when someone talks about getting a life.

skinnywater

good lord. Dude with the camera kept his cool pretty well. I would have probably lost it and starting slinging some heavier baits at his head.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you fish lake Minnetonka and like to fish docks you better expect to have more than a few homeowners come out and tear you a new one. I usually just smile and move on. Once in awhile I feel the need to inform them that their Dock is sitting in public water and the water around it is public water. That usually gets them even more angry. I like when they say they are going to call the water patrol. I say go ahead, I’ll be glad to sit here fishing the public water around your dock while we wait for them. I’ve even sat there for them to call the water patrol. Its real funny when the water patrol tells them the water around including under their dock is public and thus fishermen are free to fish it. The best is when they say ” do you know how much I paid for this house” My answer is always the same – ” TO MUCH !!! “

hop307
    Northern Todd County

If you fish lake Minnetonka and like to fish docks you better expect to have more than a few homeowners come out and tear you a new one. I usually just smile and move on. Once in awhile I feel the need to inform them that their Dock is sitting in public water and the water around it is public water. That usually gets them even more angry. I like when they say they are going to call the water patrol. I say go ahead, I’ll be glad to sit here fishing the public water around your dock while we wait for them. I’ve even sat there for them to call the water patrol. Its real funny when the water patrol tells them the water around including under their dock is public and thus fishermen are free to fish it. The best is when they say ” do you know how much I paid for this house” My answer is always the same – ” TO MUCH !!! “

rotflol

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’d call him a fat $#@%%^$ to his face and invite him to get out on shore and settle this like men. Then when he gets out of his boat, I’d laugh and keep fishing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Seems to me there are some passive aggressive ways that are better than the direct approach to shoeing people from “your area” without harassing them. But these people lack reason.

joshkral

IDO G2G!!! 100 boats fishing off his dock would be good.

Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

Yep, I would have lost it for sure. Someone does something like that to me, I will park my boat in front of their dock until they get tired of me and just give it up or the police show up and tell the idiot off.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

IDO G2G!!! 100 boats fishing off his dock would be good.

It’s still illegal to fish “off” someone dock devil

Yep, I would have lost it for sure.

I have always found more pleasure in smiling and being pleasant, not giving them the satisfaction when they are losing it. It makes them even crazier knowing they are not getting a reaction.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

IDO G2G!!!

In Ontario? I think that’s where this happened. Certainly Canada.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sadly, that’s the way it’s going in more and more of MN as well. Lakeshore property owners are increasingly convinced that they own the LAKE, not just the shore.

There is now a common belief that lakeshore owners actually have ownership of the lake extended out from their property and many will “cite” some kind of legal sounding rule, like 100 feet.

IMO, the privatization of public waters is THE battle that MN anglers will have to fight and fight soon. Many anglers wrongly believe that well-funded, lawyered-up, lakeshore owners/associations with big political agendas are only found in the metro area around places like Christmas Lake.

Actually, the problem is far worse than that. Some of the most aggressive and militant property owners and lakeshore associations are in the big 3 resort areas in MN, not in the metro.

Make no mistake about it. Lakeshore owners are actively seeking to cut off public access to “their” lakes and many are willing to spend large amounts of money to do so. They are using a whole variety of excuses, obviously AIS is one, but noise, crime, poaching, etc are all in the mix as well.

Grouse

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

BTW, in MN Mr. Red Shirt is committing a crime. Harassing an angler like he’s doing is illegal.

If anyone experiences anything like this in MN, CALL THE DNR OR THE COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT. Do NOT let lakeshore owners get away with committing angler harassment crimes even once.

This would have been a perfect case in MN to prosecute as there is terrific video evidence of the harassment.

97A.037. Hunter, trapper, and angler harassment prohibited
    Subdivision

1. Interference with taking wild animals prohibited. A person who has the intent to prevent, disrupt, or dissuade the taking of a wild animal or enjoyment of the out-of-doors may not disturb or interfere with another person who is lawfully taking a wild animal or preparing to take a wild animal. “Preparing to take a wild animal” includes travel, camping, and other acts that occur on land or water where the affected person has the right or privilege to take lawfully a wild animal.

Subd. 2. Disturbing wild animals prohibited. A person who has the intent to prevent or disrupt a person from lawfully taking the animals may not disturb or engage in an activity that will tend to disturb wild animals.

Subd. 3. Persons intending to harass hunters, trappers, and anglers may not remain on land. A person who has intent to violate subdivision 1 or 2 may not enter or remain on public lands, or on private lands without permission of the owner.

Subd. 4. Peace officer order; penalty. A person must obey the order of a peace officer to stop the harassing conduct that violates this section if the officer observes the conduct. For purposes of this subdivision, “harassing conduct” does not include a landowner’s or lessee’s action to enforce the trespass law. Violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor.

Grouse

tom hopkins

And that’s why I use 20lb power pro. Go ahead let my line get sucked in to your prop jerk off. I’ll let the whole spool go. Then when your motor stalls I paddle you out to big water and leave you there in the the middle of your lake..jerk

Iowaboy1

take a DNR officer fishing with you,set back and watch the fun!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That video was taken on the St Croix River on the second dock behind Catfish Bar.

Don’t believe me? Go fish near that dock sometime. Be careful of the tether attaching the swimming platform to the dock.
    You know, to stop us from fishing too close?

Has anyone ever wondered why lakeshore owners turn possessive like the guy in the video?

I’m going to assume it’s because they have all their eggs in one basket. All they have is the piece of property with a lake attached to it.

Most of use take our boats/kayaks from lake to lake. These people are trapped.

I think if we give the average Joe a piece of lakeshore they will very soon turn into Joe Asshole because they lost (at least in their mind) their mobility.

Kind of like me when someone parks in front of my camper. )

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think the feeling is natural. I’d get the same feeling at “my brother’s cabin” when people would fish crappies at the brush pile next to “his neighbor’s” dock. That’s me getting a gut feeling of not wanting people to catch, and God forsake keep, crappies and I was twice removed from “possession”.

The difference being I squash them feelings by realizing I don’t own anything in a lake.

I’d bet everyone of us feels the same way when we can’t wait to fish ‘our spot’, only to find someone beat us to it.

The difference again being that we are all rational and realize we don’t own thing.

And take it a step further we realize it is not cool to harass people.

I think it definitely points to anger management issues with these people.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

way when we can’t wait to fish ‘our spot’, only to find someone beat us to it.

So that was you about 7 years ago on the st. Croix opener?

And take it a step further we realize it is not cool to harass people.

Oh never mind. I guess it wasn’t.

desperado

BK I’ve fished that spot quite often; even drifted between the dock and swimming platform, so have been cognizant of not tangling in the tether … have never been confronted by the property owner though; have you ?

JoeMX1825
    MN

While I agree this guy is a complete d-bag, as a lakeshore owner, the only thing that gets me mad are the weekend warrior bass fisherman (I’m a bass fisherman, but we all know the “types” i’m inferring to) who think they are KVD and try to skip jigs way up under my dock and end up either tagging my boat’s gelcoat or snagging a cover, it happens all the time… Not sure if this grumpy old man ever had that happen to him and that’s why he’s the way he is, but in certain situations I can see how a short “no cast zone” around docks and boats could be a good thing to protect property. Lakeshore owners/associations deserve some respect as they likely contribute $$ to fish stocking and water quality that everyonetakes advantage of…

I know it’s a public water, I’m fine with that, but i’m the one who has to deal with the ripped boat cover or chipped fiberglass at the end of the day, while the fisherman has a story to tell at the bar about how he drilled an expensive boat with a 1 oz football jig…

bottom line is people need to have more respect for each other, both fisherman and lake property owners..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

^ Hold the people that rip your canvas or gel coat responsible and not me…the guy that’s trolling past your dock. We are each individually responsible for our casts just like damage from our boat wakes.

On the other hand, it’s good to hear that point of view. We all look at these posts from our own point of view, and since I would have trolled by, I never thought about casting. waytogo

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I know it’s a public water, I’m fine with that,

Perhaps the answer is, like deer stands on public property docks are also removed when not in use or each night.

-J.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m just shedding light from a lakeshore owners perspective… Most of them are not saying you can’t fish in front of their place, they are merely asking you to be respectful of their physical property, not the lake itself which is public…

It’s no different than if somebody dings your car door in a public parking lot, you’ll get pissed off and say wtf is wrong with people, but ultimately you decided to take your car out and park in a public space…you just wish the other person was respectful enough to care that they don’t damage your car when they get out…

It’s more of a society problem that keeps getting worse, nobody gives a crap about anybody else anymore, it’s all about them…On the water it’s something as simple as a No Wake Zone, running at idle speed for a few hundred yards probably costs you all of 2 extra minutes, yet every weekend I see people fly right through like the rules don’t apply to them…what’s that all about?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I also have lake property with a dock. Just pointing out that the more complaints the DNR gets, this may be their solution to solve the problem.

-J.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Certainly not a new video. The guy is a Dbag.
    Everyone just needs to be respectful of other’s property.

We all know that there is a growing population that doesn’t have that respect for others property etc. That’s why i remove all tackle, the 3 graphs, etc from my boat when i store it. Sure wish i didn’t have to. I know nobody needs to worry about me stealing their stuff. Just wish more people thought the same way. We’ve all had experiences that have proven people can’t be trusted.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I know it’s a public water, I’m fine with that,

Perhaps the answer is, like deer stands on public property docks are also removed when not in use or each night.

-J.

Interesting comparison! I dont necessarily like it when people fish my dock from their boat but I’m grown up enough to know its their right to do so and I dont bother them in any way. I think its pretty simple. If you don’t want people fishing near your dock, fu.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It’s no different than if somebody dings your car door in a public parking lot, you’ll get pissed off and say wtf is wrong with people

This is why I never go grocery shopping alone. I always want someone to stand by the parked car berating people who try parking next to my parking spot. P

There are 2 sides to everything. Just as bad are the people who fish a dock without respect for others property, besides what you mentioned, breaking lines on purpose as opposed to trying to retrieve a snagged lure. And I hate people who ignore or even just push the limits of no wake zones.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Just watched the video..

My favorite part…

Your about this close to getting your a$$ kicked !!

waytogo

Attachments:
    1. Your-About-This-Close.jpg

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.