Vexilar or Marcum?

• YoungGunz2
    Maple Grove MN

I’m looking to buy myself a flasher for ice fishing and don’t know which one is better, vexilar or marcum. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

gary d
    cordova,il

It’s what ever trips your trigger. Is this one good or the other. It is what you can afford, because there is a range of cost. The next time you are out ice fishing go around and ask different people what they like about there machine. It’s hard to say what you like about the machines. From the 3 big machine makers out there you will get 3 reasons to buy this one or the other. I think you have some work to do!! Good luck on your search!!

I have a Marcum LX-5. I love mine machine for the things that I use it for. Color,zoom,split screen and always work around other machine.

competitor
    South central, mn

I also run an LX-5, my buddies all have different units. I love the idea of the quiet you get with the LX-6/7. Vexilar are a little noisy, even compared to my LX-5. Vexilar have a great name for durability and fit inside your bucket. I have only great things to say about Marcum customer service as well. Seeing all the new units out there, I would probably get an LX-7, even though it is a little bigger and heavier to carry around. Either way you go, it will make your fishing sooooooo much better. Good luck with your decision

hamms
    Mn

Do a search on them. Don’t count out lowrance graphs as well. I’ve been enjoying running hds5 lately and I have a lx7. If you have a good graph on your boat an ice ducer is cheap. Only way to know what u want is to go look at them yourself.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Anything will help you catch fish, this will turn into a classic board debate of Old Style vs PBR chant. In my opinion, Vex’s are nice, but the IR and Power can’t touch Marcum. I’m jaded because I was the only guy out of 8 to catch and even mark anything last year at the Brainered tournament. And I credit my VX1 Pro for that. This year I got an LX5 and won’t look back. I sold an FLX28 to get it before even trying the FLX. I’m that confident.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Old Style beats PBR every time. But it’s more expensive than some craft beers.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I have the LX9 and the Vex FL-22. I like them both. Both have some form of acceptable interference rejection and both let you see fish down below. Sure, there are a few things I like about one more than the other, but in the end, either one works well for me.

I do use the Marcum as my primary for 2 reasons: The camera is useful for identifying structure to ensure I have the bottom I want or the weedline dialed in. The second is the camera is entertaining while tipups are out for pike. Fun to watch all the other underwater critters scurry about.

Notice the difference my selection of the Marcum as a primary has little to do with the actual fish marking capabilities and more about the camera? Exactly. Get one of each and when you play with both for a while you will find a favorite soon enough and you will be glad you have the other as a backup.

Gun to my head if I HAD to select only one, probably the Vex. Battery life is better and unit is lighter. I tend to frequent the same fishing holes around the metro most of the time and know generally where the underwater structures are. Perhaps if I traveled to unknown bodies of water more frequently, I’d at least make sure I had some sort of camera.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

A Marcum generally gets you the bells and whistles, but they seem to break down a lot. Vexilars always seem to work, but are pretty basic.

Kent Tau

A Marcum generally gets you the bells and whistles, but they seem to break down a lot. Vexilars always seem to work, but are pretty basic. [/quote

2X agree..I say for beginners get a vex fl8. I own a flx28 and a marcum lx7. They get along very well no interfaces at all. But the fl18 doesn’t like my flx28 though…

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

A Marcum generally gets you the bells and whistles, but they seem to break down a lot. Vexilars always seem to work, but are pretty basic.

I think this is a little unfair, maybe the Marcum digital units have a greater chance of breaking down(I’m not sure about that though), but the LX3 and LX5 are pretty bulletproof in my experience.

My vote would be to get an LX3 or LX5, fish with one of those for this season and if for some reason you want MORE features, upgrade next year. But I think 90% of ice fisherman out there are plenty satisfied with one of those models.

Kent Tau

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chamberschamps wrote:</div>

I think this is a little unfair, maybe the Marcum digital units have a greater chance of breaking down(I’m not sure about that though), but the LX3 and LX5 are pretty bulletproof in my experience.

My vote would be to get an LX3 or LX5, fish with one of those for this season and if for some reason you want MORE features, upgrade next year. But I think 90% of ice fisherman out there are plenty satisfied with one of those models.

Maybe in the past… I own 2 lx3tc 2013-2014 season bought them new had motor replaced on both unit. Sold them after that. I’m not trying to steer anyone away though. IMO I would recommend them to people I know or ask me.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

In the “Toys for big boys” forum there there are sub-forums for Lowrance and Humminbird. Maybe Vex and Marcum should be added. coffee

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

In the “Toys for big boys” forum there there are sub-forums for Lowrance and Humminbird. Maybe Vex and Marcum should be added.

Ahh, you mean War Room, not forum then. lol

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

In the “Toys for big boys” forum there there are sub-forums for Lowrance and Humminbird. Maybe Vex and Marcum should be added. coffee

Oh please no. shock

hamms
    Mn

Well in that case Lowrance …lol jester My Marcum and any vexilar next to it have been pretty much toast

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>belletaine wrote:</div>
    In the “Toys for big boys” forum there there are sub-forums for Lowrance and Humminbird. Maybe Vex and Marcum should be added.  :coffee:

Oh please no. shock

Maybe a Ford and Chevy forum as well…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.