Vertical Rod Storage

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Has anyone used one of these? I run a 17’ fiberglass boat and there’s simply never enough room for rods. I have the in-floor storage, but envisioned using this up in the bow seat spot with a couple casting rods, my net, and a couple additional trolling rods. I would not use this while running around wide open rather as a place to keep rods handy but out of the back of the boat where trolling takes place.

On P4 we will often troll main lake breaks, but if we mark a school of suspended crappies or see a school of surfacing white bass…I’ll stop trolling and have guests quickly grab a casting rod.

Would this be practical? Will it hold up? I like the idea of it being mobile. I just get sick of moving gear, digging in the floor storage, taking off rod slicks, etc. This would essentially keep everything ready…or so I’m thinking.

Attachments:
    1. 1A02F25C-E2FA-4B34-A10E-F19C2141A782.jpeg

iowa_josh

yes. gets in the way if u cast wild. but you are on the right track

deertracker

I just looked at the night episode from 2 weeks ago and he has one that looks just like your picture.
    DT

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Is it just me or does it look like they are literally shoving a square peg into a round hole on that pedestal base in the photo?

I could see something like that working. If you want to be up on the bow, I’m assuming you have an open pedestal base in the stern to move the rods to?

My old boat has no rod storage so I roll DIY. I use something that works like this, but looks nothing like it — an old milk crate with lengths of PVC secured in each corner. I could add more tubes for additional rods, but I usually fish solo and rarely bring more than 3. I toss a spare anchor in the bottom for weight and I can move the crate anywhere in the boat. Works for me.

404 ERROR
    MN

Is it just me or does it look like they are literally shoving a square peg into a round hole on that pedestal base in the photo?

The Cabela’s version, like the one in the picture, has different attachment bases attached to the bottom of the square tube to accommodate differing seat bases. They hold in rock solid.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have that in my 16ft boat. It only works when I’m jigging or dragging. If your casting it gets in the way.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

The Cabela’s version, like the one in the picture, has different attachment bases attached to the bottom of the square tube to accommodate differing seat bases. They hold in rock solid.

Yeah I checked the website. The OP’s photo is small, looks like it’s square all the way down and then there’s some kind of black carpet stuffed in to keep it secure. The larger photos on the website show that black stuff is possibly adhesive or something.

Attachments:
    1. base.png

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have that in my 16ft boat. It only works when I’m jigging or dragging. If your casting it gets in the way.

If I was casting, it’d get moved to the back center seat, and when trolling it’d be up front on the deck. I only leave 2 seats in my boat (behind console and passenger seat). I rarely use the high seat at the front or any other seats in the back. 99% of my fishing is alone or with 1 other person. Things get crowded in a hurry in a 17′ boat with a cooler, tackle boxes, and multiple rods out to switch techniques on the fly. I’m hoping this keeps things more orderly and gives me some different options since it is mobile.

Red Reno

I had one of those in my Pro V, was custom made so it would have the storage as you were traveling down the lake and 4 fish on rod holders to use as you trolled with. Worked awesome. New boat doesn’t have the seat pedestal back there so it sits in my garage.

Attachments:
    1. Rod-holder.jpeg

Chad Leton

I use that system for storing rods on trolling trips in my MX1825. Stole the idea from James. Works very very well! Rough water, long runs, etc. No worries! Will free up a ton of space for you and keep your rod/reel combo investments lasting longer without incident.

If I’m going to be Musky fishing with one other person aboard I’ll put casting rods in it and position it on the back deck while we both cast on the front. Again, keeps rods off the floor, baits that may be hanging are away from legs that may be walking a fish around, and you can easily swap rods and get back to casting.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

like others have said looks like a good idea and I think your head is in the right place as far as helping your situation but $90 bucks for that thing! YIKES! No thanks. I would consider something like pool2fool did and attach some of the racks to a milk crate. you can get the 3 rod holder racks same design as that one for as low as $12 if you look around. This is what I did for my kayak and it works well for that application. I think it would work in the boat too. I may give it a try this summer now that I think about it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I use that system for storing rods on trolling trips in my MX1825. Stole the idea from James. Works very very well! Rough water, long runs, etc. No worries! Will free up a ton of space for you and keep your rod/reel combo investments lasting longer without incident.

If I’m going to be Musky fishing with one other person aboard I’ll put casting rods in it and position it on the back deck while we both cast on the front. Again, keeps rods off the floor, baits that may be hanging are away from legs that may be walking a fish around, and you can easily swap rods and get back to casting.

So you run that same exact pedestal mount holder running on-plane from spot to spot with rods in it? That’d be amazing if it is that reliable. My original thoughts were just while trolling or casting when alone to keep things out of the way, yet accessible.

$90 is a bit steep for essentially plastic tubes, but I’ve got some Cabelas rebate cards lying around the garage that will otherwise get turned into some of my favorite crankbaits. If I decide to give it a shot, I’ll report back with my results.

Chad Leton

Yup, I run with no issues Bucky.

$90 for the investment, done thinking about it and it frees your mind up to worry about fishing. You’ve put a solution in place that will last as long as you own it, utilize it, and it works for your current boat.

Well worth it in my boat to keep $100+ rods off the floor and out of harms way.

Deleted

The guy that took us salmon fishing on Lake Michigan ran a custom setup like that. He kept it up front and it worked great while trolling. I can’t imagine it being good for casting. Up front it was all out of the way.

Attachments:
    1. image-2.jpeg

toothyfish

Fleet Farm has similar things that are round and slide over an existing seat post. I believe it holds 10 rods and it has a handle so you can pick the whole thing up if you’d like to move them around or for when you’re trailering the boat to lay them all down at once. I can’t remember how much they were charging for them(I bought mine like 2 or more years ago) but I believe it was right around $25. I think we’ve only ever hit the rods stored in it while casting once or twice in that time period.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

$90 for the investment, done thinking about it and it frees your mind up to worry about fishing. You’ve put a solution in place that will last as long as you own it, utilize it, and it works for your current boat.

Thanks!

Also, does yours “spin” as some others have stated? I’m not sure exactly which specific model would fit in the floor pedestals in my boat without measuring…but I’m assuming not the “wedge” version which is shown in the pictures.

toothyfish

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>toothyfish wrote:</div>
    Fleet Farm has similar things that are round and slide over an existing seat post.

I believe you are talking about this: https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/fishing-rod-retainer-fishing-rod-retainer-caddy/0000000222317?bc=10417|10433

Unfortunately that hole in the middle is not large enough for many of the popular size seat posts to pass through.

Interesting, I think mine was soft rubber around the area that goes over the seat post but it looks like that one is solid plastic although that is definitely the same company. The description also seems to no longer suggest that it was designed to go onto a seatpost, now they claim a dock. Maybe they changed it for some reason. My buddy’s boat is a Warrior from the 90s so maybe his has really thin posts, no idea, but it works great if it fits over your posts.

Chad Leton

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chad Leton wrote:</div>

Thanks!

Also, does yours “spin” as some others have stated? I’m not sure exactly which specific model would fit in the floor pedestals in my boat without measuring…but I’m assuming not the “wedge” version which is shown in the pictures.

Yes mine is allowed to move and has a circular base (vs. the wedge). I turn it when running to offer less resistence (2 facing front vs. 4 wide). I generally keep it in this position when trolling with clients so I can organize my rods in the holders in the order that they get deployed once fishing. (4 on the left side and 4 on the right). When finished fishing we pick up back to front and stow rods accordingly.

I verified the size I needed with the guys at Skeeter Boat Center and went with their suggested measurement. Mine is currently in storage with boat or I’d verify mine for you.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

They work great for keeping any set up off the floor and safe in any situation ive came across, I fish lake michigan and the good lord serves up some pretty sporty rides…

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Can also go horizontal with driftmaster tip saver.
    just the tip

B-man

I ran one of those rod holder bases (the one in the first picture) for a couple years and loved it. Kept it in the bow most of the time on plane unless it was rough out (then I would move it to a stern seat base).

It doesn’t work in my new boat so it’s collecting dust. Made to fit a 238 round base. If you’re interested in it give me a shout and we can make a deal or a trade.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Here is what I did. First off I have the one you have shown. I use this on Lake Erie when we are pretty much 100% trolling. I also have the Driftmaster offset tip saver rod holders. I use these only when using 14 ft rods and spider rigging. My boat has center rod storage so I primarily use that. But I also mounted six rod holders against the back of my boat. These work great for just throwing some extra rods in. Rods don’t get in the way and this set up doesn’t take up any extra space at all. Not sure if you have the type of boat that this would work in but in mine it was a great option.

Attachments:
    1. rod-holders.jpg

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Here is what I did. First off I have the one shown. I use this on Lake Erie when we are pretty much 100% trolling. I also have the Driftmaster offset tip saver rod holders. I use these only when using 14 ft rods and spider rigging. My boat has center rod storage so I primarily use that. But I also mounted six rod holders against the back of my boat. These work great for just throwing some extra rods in. Rods don’t get in the way and this set up doesn’t take up any extra space at all. Not sure if you have the type of boat that this would work in but in mine it was a great option.

Attachments:
    1. rod-holders-1.jpg

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I have one like Bucky posted in the first pic, but in addition there is a plate on top with a rod holder base installed. Very handy at times. No tab on the base, so it can rotated. As I believe James has, I use a bungee cord to the front storage locker to hold it down in rough weather. Best thing about it is that it can be moved/removed when not in use. Came with the boat I bought a couple years ago, but if I had to buy another I would. Here is a bad pic that shows the rod holder on top.

Attachments:
    1. WP_20151007_18_00_55_Pro.jpg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I ran one of those rod holder bases (the one in the first picture) for a couple years and loved it. Kept it in the bow most of the time on plane unless it was rough out (then I would move it to a stern seat base).

It doesn’t work in my new boat so it’s collecting dust. Made to fit a 238 round base. If you’re interested in it give me a shout and we can make a deal or a trade.

Not exactly sure what you mean by 238 round base, but I sent a PM.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I had a vertical setup for awhile until a near disaster that involved trolling shorelines on the river and an overhanging tree…….I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I had a vertical setup for awhile until a near disaster that involved trolling shorelines on the river and an overhanging tree…….I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes.

LOL – I was thinking of this the entire time I was reading the thread. Great on Lake MI trolling, but I would leave it at home when I do other stuff, knowing this would happen to me as well….

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

If you mainly troll do it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.