Vertical Jigging was the ANSWER!

• Tyler Thimsen

Vertical Jigging around 20-25 feet was the answer for some fat, gorgeous Cutthroat Trout at a lake that sits around 10,500 feet this past weekend! For the first 3 1/2 hours, we were throwing flies, crankbaits, jerkbaits, small swimbaits, spinners, and even some spoons…Nothing!!

Coincidentally, we ran into a subscriber to the channel that was out on his pontoon and was getting some nice ones vertically jigging, and advised that was the way to go…I didn’t bring a lot of my soft plastics, small jigs, live worms of any kind, or any blade baits either so I felt a bit underprepared…I figured I would try tying on a heavy nymph (Shafer’s TBH Gummy Crane Fly) and it worked tremendously….Felt a little weird jigging with a nymph but hey it got fish…

Felt good to go to a lake that has been on our target list for quite some time, and land some nice fish! We got some nice drone shots of the area, even though it is covered in a haze at the moment, and also got some nice film of the cutthroats swimming after releasing!!

Hope you all enjoy the video!!! Pictures of course as always🎣🎣

Attachments:
    1. Vertical4.jpg

2. Vertical3.jpg

3. Vertical6.jpg

4. Vertical5.jpg

5. Vertical7.jpg

6. Vertical8.jpg

7. Vertical9.jpg

8. Vertical10.jpg

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Are those worms in the water? Such thing as a bug hatch there? Love the pics

Tyler Thimsen

Are those worms in the water? Such thing as a bug hatch there? Love the pics

No, although it certainly looked like it! A weird algae bloom…Actually there was a blue winged olive dun hatch for the first few hours of being there…I had over 15-20 on my head at a time during that…A few trout jumped randomly throughout the lake but couldn’t get anything on the fly. Everything was deep.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.