Vermillion reports ?

• TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I thought I did very well this weekend on Vermilion. It wasn’t really a fishing trip for me as the kids and wife were with so we spent a lot of time in Ely and the surrounding area. I fished 3 spots. I caught all fish off of a half crawler and a gold spinner. I likely missed as many fish as I caught.

I go back in a month for a fishing trip. I plan to target the bigger fish then.

You could tell the big boat guys were itching to open up their rigs Sunday night after the winds slowed down. I heard/saw many Donzi/Baja/Cigarettes ripping around later in the day.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Our trip ended up pretty good. We lindy rigged minnows and crawlers, caught way more on minnows. Ended up with a limit plus a couple decent perch. The wind kept up of the lake for part of the weekend. We did try lead core for about an hour and couldn’t get anything that way, but it’s still new to me and I hate if I’m being honest. I will say the lake is full of small walleyes, not sure how you would find bigger fish but everything we caught was under 16, we tossed back a lot of 12 inch fish. Glennmore Resort is a nice place and the customer service was great, would recommend if anyone was looking for a place to stay up there, decent launch big enough for a big glass Vexus with a 400hp on the back, that looks like a sweet boat!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I thought I did very well this weekend on Vermilion. It wasn’t really a fishing trip for me as the kids and wife were with so we spent a lot of time in Ely and the surrounding area. I fished 3 spots. I caught all fish off of a half crawler and a gold spinner. I likely missed as many fish as I caught.

I go back in a month for a fishing trip. I plan to target the bigger fish then.

You could tell the big boat guys were itching to open up their rigs Sunday night after the winds slowed down. I heard/saw many Donzi/Baja/Cigarettes ripping around later in the day.

The boy and I will be up the last weekend in September.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

A buddy and I will be up the 17th but we will be throwing for muskies. Not much help walleye wise.

ShldHveBenHreYserdy
    MN

we were there a couple weekends ago; did the best with jigs and half crawler, as stated, alot of small walleyes. We caught the biggest walleyes 16-18″ while throwing cranks on wind beaten shorelines for smallies. we are not setup for leadcore, so we tried 3 way rigging and caught a few fish on that, but did better vertical jigging. Saw a couple other guys lead core and they seemed to do the same.
    smallie fishing was slow until the last day and we found an island they were hanging out at, not alot, but good average size. Most on cranks, a couple on spinners

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Our trip ended up pretty good. We lindy rigged minnows and crawlers, caught way more on minnows. Ended up with a limit plus a couple decent perch. The wind kept up of the lake for part of the weekend. We did try lead core for about an hour and couldn’t get anything that way, but it’s still new to me and I hate if I’m being honest. I will say the lake is full of small walleyes, not sure how you would find bigger fish but everything we caught was under 16, we tossed back a lot of 12 inch fish. Glennmore Resort is a nice place and the customer service was great, would recommend if anyone was looking for a place to stay up there, decent launch big enough for a big glass Vexus with a 400hp on the back, that looks like a sweet boat!

That’s the east end. You’ll catch a bunch of 14-16″ fish. I think I caught 6 that were 17-19″, a 24″ was caught on Friday morning right by Everett’s Bay. The bigger fish are out there and are mixed with the smaller fish. They just are not as aggressive. Use a bigger bait next time if you want to target bigger fish.

Or fish deeper water structure and specifically target big fish. You may only catch 2-3 fish, but you will catch bigger fish.

You could also take a run to the west end and fish close to Vermilion Dam, Oak Narrows Ect. You will find bigger fish in those areas.

I head back the first weekend of Oct, Thurs-Sun. I will likely dedicate one day(couple evenings) to musky, but I will mostly be searching for bigger eyes.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That’s the east end. You’ll catch a bunch of 14-16″ fish. I think I caught 6 that were 17-19″, a 24″ was caught on Friday morning right by Everett’s Bay. The bigger fish are out there and are mixed with the smaller fish. They just are not as aggressive. Use a bigger bait next time if you want to target bigger fish.

Or fish deeper water structure and specifically target big fish. You may only catch 2-3 fish, but you will catch bigger fish.

You could also take a run to the west end and fish close to Vermilion Dam, Oak Narrows Ect. You will find bigger fish in those areas.

Thanks for the info, maybe next time I will try that end of the lake.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.