Venison production

• E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

Three buddies and I made some maple sausage, garlic summer sausage, hot sticks and some ground mix over the weekend. We smoked it all and have been enjoying it hot out the gates. We cut it with pork shoulder. The FW is happy with the outcome so that’s gotta mean it’s good. Do you guys have any cool methods of processing your deer? Any unique recipes?

Attachments:
    1. image145.jpg

2. image144.jpg

3. image143.jpg

4. image141.jpg

5. image142.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That looks very good. Still got some venison in my freezer that needs to get processed.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Looks like you have a pretty good operation going there. One thing we like is dried venison. Brined and smoked muscle groups then hang in a cool but not freezing spot. Slice thin for sandwiches.

WarEagle

We make all of our own venison, between a buddy and I.
    This year we made
    100lb of Pepper Jack Summer sausage
    50 Ring Bologna
    50 lb of Mush and Swiss Brats
    25 lb of Bacon Cheddar Brats
    50lb of Cheddar Smoked Hot Dogs
    50 lbs of Honey Barbecue Jerky
    45 lbs of venison bacon
    20 lbs of dried venison

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I just stuffed spice sticks and summer sausage tonight. My 2nd year with summer sausage w/ smoked pepper cheese and first year at spice sticks. I’m interested in your equipment and stuffing production. I’ve got a 1/3 hp LEM grinder with the matching 25# tilting mixer. Digital scales at 2 oz. increments.

I stuff with the grinder using the foot peddle, it is a pain but, are the stuffing machines really that much better?
    The mixer and grinder are beasts to store. The medium to larger stuffers are I think out of the question not so much in price (yet that is a real thought) but yet again Storage is my real issue!

Thanks for this thread.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Three buddies and I made some maple sausage, garlic summer sausage, hot sticks and some ground mix over the weekend. We smoked it all and have been enjoying it hot out the gates. We cut it with pork shoulder. The FW is happy with the outcome so that’s gotta mean it’s good. Do you guys have any cool methods of processing your deer? Any unique recipes?

Bump

WarEagle

Stuffing machines make it way easier. I first started off like yourself. If money isn’t an issue that I recommend getting a stuffer suitable to the needs of what you make. For instance, we do a lot of meat. I have my grandpa’s grinder out of his locker plant that is capable of grinding a lot of meat very fast. I also have his hobart meat slicer. I finally bought a nice water pressure stuffer 2 years ago that does not leak water at all. It is controlled off of a foot pedal and it holds 38 lbs of meat in the tube. I also bought a mixer this last year. Not a conventional one, but it is from the same guy that made my stuffer. Uses a 6 gallon bucket a mixing blade, but the only catch is you have to have a powerful enough drill to mix the meat.

WarEagle

I have been making deer meat for over 8 years. My grandpa had a locker plant his whole life. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks WarEagle. Seems that the op doesn’t care about his own question, maybe?

Mark Nenneman

Yes. I used to stuff off of my grinder and it was very slow.

I purchased a 5 lb sausage stuffer online for less than a 100 bucks and have been more than pleased.

Get the kind with the crank and not the horn type.

I have found the 5 lb large enough for everything that I have done so far.

I process all of my deer meat and make a few different sausages each year.

I found one on ebay for $90.00.

Mine was made by Buffalo products.

Good luck. Once you stuff this way, you will never go back to stuffing off of your grinder.

onepine
    Elk River

Hi, All My Question is can I hand stuff summer sausage? I have my venison ground at my butcher and then make summer sausage as I need it. Not more than 2-3 lbs at a time. I am in the north meto and would like to know where the best place is to buy the casings?

riverruns
    Inactive

Hi, All My Question is can I hand stuff summer sausage? I have my venison ground at my butcher and then make summer sausage as I need it. Not more than 2-3 lbs at a time. I am in the north meto and would like to know where the best place is to buy the casings?

You can get your casings and seasonings at any Gander Mountain, Fleet Farm, Cabelas, or ask your butcher for them. The Butcher will sell them to you.
    Shawn

riverruns
    Inactive

Sorry about all of the question. I would think you could hand stuff it. Try and keep the air out of it and keep the casing packed tight.
    Shawn

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

In reality you if wanted to you dont need to put it in a casing if you are smoking them. I roll mine into about a 2 lb log and wrap in ceran wrap for the night to cure. Unroll and put on smoker rack. The smoke creates an outer casing for you. I jist finished up 20 lbs of jalapeno cheddar and 20 pounds of jist cheddar summer sausage the other week.

reinhard thamm

I’ve been making sausage for over 35 years. Some good information so far. As far as stuffing, I would recommend a vertical stuffer. As WarEagle said, buy one according to the amount needed. I’m retired now but I usually made large batches while I was working but now I make sausage as I need it, normally batches no larger than 25 pounds or less at a time. For me a 5 pound vertical stuffer works for me. You will enjoy sausage making much better with a stuffer vs stuffing from the grinder. Any place that makes their own sausage will sell you casings. Many grocery stores sell sheep and hog casings in the meat depts. Those packs usually will do 25 pounds. Of course you can get them on line as well. Here is some I made recently. good luck.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1413.jpg

2. IMG_2239.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.