Used outboard motor to avoid? 90hp

• gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

I am in the market for a used 90HP outboard for my Alumacraft 165. I am upgrading from a 50hp Honda 4 cycle.

Are there any engines I should avoid? I have been seeing a lot of used Yamaha’s in my range.

I am willing to switch to 2 cycle if it was one of the e-tecs, or similar.

I don’t want anything older than 2000.

Thanks

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

E tech is the one motor I would stay away from.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I smell a Ford/Chevy thing comin…

milemark_714

90 HP?All of them can be good,if they were properly maintained.
    etec-do your research,some years had a few “issues”.
    Yamaha,can’t go wrong.90 2-stroke is bulletproof.
    Honda-same.
    Suzuki,same.
    Mercury,some years had bad electrical parts(coils,voltage regulators)Optimax are good,but also had some electrical problems.

Myself,I would look for EFI in 4-stroke,the carbed models can be fickle(thanks EPA).

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I can’t see anything newer than 2000 in all the mainstream brands being an issue. I’d do a final check when you narrow it down to a specific brand/year, but in general outboards these days are anywhere from good to very good.

EFI is nice, but it’s not trouble free. The things that foul carbs can just as easily foul EFIs. Bad gas, debris in gas, clogs, etc.

Whatever you buy, it’s always a whole lot better if you run it with a good filter and separator unit.

Grouse

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

I can’t see anything newer than 2000 in all the mainstream brands being an issue. I’d do a final check when you narrow it down to a specific brand/year, but in general outboards these days are anywhere from good to very good.
    EFI is nice, but it’s not trouble free. The things that foul carbs can just as easily foul EFIs. Bad gas, debris in gas, clogs, etc.
    Whatever you buy, it’s always a whole lot better if you run it with a good filter and separator unit.

This is the word i’m getting from my mechanics also: filter and sep on everything. AND of course, ethanol…

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

My 2001 ELPTO Merc has treated me well

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

my boss used to work at evinrude a few years back. he was pretty high up in the company as an IT guy and he was involved in some meetings with the CEO who basically admitted that they have a problem with their production and the motors they have are crap. He used to tell me that when testing out motors in the ocean they would routinely get marooned cause the motors would go bad, BRAND NEW MOTORS! and they would have to send another boat out to get them. He said the design was great but the production was flawed and they just couldnt get it right for a number of years. If i remember correctly he said the motors to avoid were from the early 2000’s. he is gone for the day now ill check with him tomorrow and report back.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This is the word i’m getting from my mechanics also: filter and sep on everything. AND of course, ethanol…

Yes. To be clear, a fuel filter only filters out solid particles in fuel. A filter DOES NOT “filter out” water. The water passes right through.

A fuel separator does just what the name implies. It separates water from fuel and allows only the fuel to pass through.

There are some systems that do both in one unit and if you are sure you have one, that’s fine. IMO most boaters are VASTLY better served by adding a high-quality stand alone unit.

If most boaters were doing this, we’d seldom hear of an “ethanol problem”.

Grouse

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have a 90 2 stroke Yamaha and I love it like was said before that motor is bullet proof!

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I have a 90 2 stroke Yamaha and I love it like was said before that motor is bullet proof!

They really are. The 4-strokes are awesome too. Yamaha has been the best motor I’ve ever owned. That simple.

mattgroff

Stay awy from a used merc. I say go etec but that’s just me or Yamaha. Everyone has there own opinion. Do your research and find a motor that fits your budget.

mojogunter

I guess I got pretty lucky with my 225 e-tec. I didn’t realize I was lucky to never had been stranded with it. I sold it with 600 hours and last I heard it was still running fine. I had to have the computer reflashed once, and a bearing in the lower unit needed to be replaced, but never left me on the water. The only motor that left me stranded was on the first trip with my 2001 150 XR6, and that was a wire must not have been plugged all the way in and came apart on the water. After that the motor was bulletproof. I had a 2005 Yamaha 225 4 stroke that ran perfect, but was a complete turd out of the hole. I think most of the manufactures have had a few issues on certain models, but for the most part they are all pretty good now. The big thing to me is how the company takes care of their customers when a known problem exists is what matters.

my boss used to work at evinrude a few years back. he was pretty high up in the company as an IT guy and he was involved in some meetings with the CEO who basically admitted that they have a problem with their production and the motors they have are crap. He used to tell me that when testing out motors in the ocean they would routinely get marooned cause the motors would go bad, BRAND NEW MOTORS! and they would have to send another boat out to get them. He said the design was great but the production was flawed and they just couldnt get it right for a number of years. If i remember correctly he said the motors to avoid were from the early 2000’s. he is gone for the day now ill check with him tomorrow and report back.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The best thing about my e tech was the warranty. Got to use it over and over again. Once the warranty was up there was no way I was going to pay for mechanics to keep guessing on how to fix that motor. Now my Yamaha on the other hand has a completely useless warranty. Guess they made that motor right the 1st time.

mattgroff

I had a etec on my bass boat before I sold it. It was a 200 I beat the urine out of that thing. Never left me stranded. The guy that bought it. Still says it runs like a champ. In are bass league there is a few boats with xr6 motors and they have had to have new power heads. usually if they are rebuilt correctly they are bullet proof. But who knows man. After all it’s a used motor. They all can be junk sometimes.

pale ryder
    NULL

I recently traded in a 2004 Ranger 618 t with a 90 Suzuki on it.
    It had at least 1000 hrs and possibly 1500, and it ran like new. I would expect it to easily run another 20 years and or 3000 hrs. All it ever needed for service was yearly oil and gear lube changes, and one new impeller and one new set of spark plugs.
    I would definitely buy a Suzuki 4-stroke again.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

got an answer from my boss. he was working at evinrude from 98-2001. lots of manufacturing problems he said

joe moenck

Just an FYI, I ran a 75 EFI Yammie with VTS on a 1675 Lund Explorer. I repowered that boat as the previous motor was a 75 Honda. IMO check out the specs between the 75 and the 90 Yammie, I think you will find that their isn’t a huge difference. That 75 Yammie pushed that boat 39MPH, I was amazed at the power difference from the Honda. The Honda pushed that boat 33MPH, though that motor was 10 years older and Carb.

IMO, check out the 75 over a 90 for that model boat, go new, get warranty, get VTS and you will smile every time you turn the key! If new isn’t an option then I would concentrate on knowing the motor history or prior owner more so than the model. In most cases people don’t get rid of a motor that they are happy with.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If is was me looking for a new used outboard I would definitely be looking at High Pressure Direct Injection better economy, less cold weather issues and quieter. Have a good shop that services that engine, do a leak down test on the cylinders, and run the numbers on the ECM for codes and any updates done to the engine. Most of these newer engines have a complete history.

It is like every thing mechanical I don`t care what color it is if you get a good one it is a good one if yea got a Lemon it is a Lemon.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.