US Coast Gaurd Pool Closing

• Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Latest update from the USCG pool closing to recreational boating.

HIGH WATER UPDATE: THE FOLLOWING ZONES ARE IN HIGH WATER ACTION PHASE. RECREATIONAL BOATING IS PROHIBITED IN THE FOLLOWING ZONES:
    1. UMR: POOL 5A (MM 728.6- 738 UMR)
    2. UMR: POOL 6 (MM 714.3 – 728.5 UMR)
    3. UMR: POOL 10 (MM 615.1 — 647.8 UMR)
    4. UMR: POOL 11 (MM 583.0 – 615.0 UMR)
    5. UMR: POOL 12 (MM 556.7 – 582.9 UMR)
    6. UMR: POOL 13 (MM 522,4 – 556.6 UMR)
    7. UMR: POOL 14 (MM 493.3 — 522.3 UMR)
    8. UMR: POOL 15 (MM 482.9– 493.2 UMR)
    9. UMR: POOL 16 (MM 457.2 – 482.8 UMR)
    10. UMR: POOL 17 (MM 437.1 – 457.1 UMR)
    11. UMR: POOL 18 (MM 410.5- 437 UMR)
    12. UMR: POOL 20 (MM 343.2 – 364.1 UMR)
    13. UMR: ZONE 28/29 PORT OF ST. LOUIS (MM 109.9-185.4 UMR)

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I wonder if some of these will be enforced the same was as the No Wake Orders on the river … AKA not at all.

jimmysiewert

Isn’t that the truth!! Was out last night fishing and weekend/holiday warriors didn’t give a crap about no wake zone

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

They should have just doubled down on enforcement of existing laws (own your wake, being responsible for what it does to other boats, shoreline, infrastructure, etc) which clearly cover the issues of boating all over in high water, instead of declaring some unenforced No Wake area.

Rarely do more laws, ordinances, etc equate to changed behavior.

jwellsy

Why closures on high levels?

gregory
    Red wing,mn

The shoreline is at a fragile level, there’s a quiet a few spots around red wing that the main channel is close to going through the banks into the back waters.

jwellsy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jwellsy wrote:</div>

The shoreline is at a fragile level, there’s a quiet a few spots around red wing that the main channel is close to going through the banks into the back waters.

So they’re worried about washing out levies and causing flooding?

jimmysiewert

Yes! Just think of a wakeboard boat lapping waves at your doorstep, fish cleaning houses, trees that are now on waters edge or standing in the water.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^ …most of which are things that laws have been in place to prevent prior to the “No Wake” that isn’t enforced, or for some pools the complete closure

The river could be at an all time low, but if your wake damages other properties or endangers people, the law says you are responsible. If everything already on the books was enforced, none of this other stuff would be necessary.

This is a perfect example of not being to legislate your way out of issues. This comes down to enforcement. Yesterday there was a wakeboard boat running wide open within eyesight of LC in Goodhue County when I drove by. They know nothing will be done considering their boating practices with that rig at normal levels is often breaking existing laws as well without consequences.

jwellsy

Thanks for sharing that video.
    I’ve not seen this wake-surfing before.
    I don’t like the idea of weed beds being torn up.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My guess is the closures had to do with the holiday weekend and concern of in experienced boaters out on the river. Then add in having to risk more people that might have to save these boaters if something did happen. Even with that the timing seemed a little off on the closures with a number of these pools past the high water mark. I do believe the announcement for pools 2 and 3 being closed came on the same day that the locks in those areas announced re opening for all boats. Go figure.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

In all my life I’ve never seen the Cost Guard close the river to recreational boating like this. This is another over step of “authority” by a government agency that needs it’s wings clipped. Talk about trampling on people’s Rights, here is another example of it. This is just like closing all business during COVID. When is enough, enough and we take back our country. I don’t need the government telling me what is safe and what isn’t and I’m betting neither do any of you. We all know the water is high and dangerous. That’s why we aren’t out there. Back off big brother….

Jimmy Jones

When is enough, enough and we take back our country. I don’t need the government telling me what is safe and what isn’t

Let us know how your little war goes.

jimmysiewert

In all my life I’ve never seen the Cost Guard close the river to recreational boating like this. This is another over step of “authority” by a government agency that needs it’s wings clipped. Talk about trampling on people’s Rights, here is another example of it. This is just like closing all business during COVID. When is enough, enough and we take back our country. I don’t need the government telling me what is safe and what isn’t and I’m betting neither do any of you. We all know the water is high and dangerous. That’s why we aren’t out there. Back off big brother….

So you think it’s ok to damage personal property, fragile ecosystems, on and on. “Come on man – get off your self righteous podium”!!!

bassmaster
    SE, MN

It’s clear you didn’t read the posting put out by the USCG. NO place did they ever mention the reasoning behind the BAN was due to ecosystem damage OR damage to structures or property. They only played the “SAFETY” of boaters and hazards that maybe in the water. You fools that support such a BAN are the reason this country is going to crap.

jimmysiewert

Fools…..???

While you are on your self imposed pedestal – to hell with special speed limits through work zones; road closures due to flooding; closures due to blizzards; want me to keep going? You government conspiracy theorists / extremists (both sides)are the reason this country is going to crap!!

Time to go out on Pool 4, enjoy the peacefulness of a full no-wake zone while and put the smack down on the Waldo’s. Tight lines.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Fools…..???

While you are on your self imposed pedestal – to hell with special speed limits through work zones; road closures due to flooding; closures due to blizzards; want me to keep going? You government conspiracy theorists / extremists (both sides)are the reason this country is going to crap!!

Time to go out on Pool 4, enjoy the peacefulness of a full no-wake zone while and put the smack down on the Waldo’s. Tight lines.

And none of this is a BAN on ones rights. The river has been a hell of a lot higher than it is now and NEVER has a BAN been put in place. WAKE UP…..

Reef W

The river has been a hell of a lot higher than it is now and NEVER has a BAN been put in place. WAKE UP…..

Coast Guard expands waterway closures on upper Mississippi River

Jimmy Jones

Your only “rights” to the river come with the licensing of your boat. No license on the boat, you can’t use any state or federal water, but you can still shore fish. And your “rights” to the river are determined by current laws set forth by the government and the Coast Guard. Been that way for a loooooooong time. So suck up.

The river is a FEDERAL waterway and the Coast Guard [the federal; waters water cops] is merely following orders from somewhere higher up.

Water this high hides unseen obstacles that would not otherwise be under water. Those with limited experience in dealing with the higher water levels could be finding themselves wrapped up in stuff they had no idea was under them. Water levels this high can also have submerged material that’s loose out of sight too. So, yes, there is a safety concern.

This short-term shutdown isn’t taking any skin off your a$$ so find something constructive to do while you can’t go play. With all the rain maybe the lawn needs mowing every three or four days.

Johnny

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jimmysiewert wrote:</div>
    Fools…..???

And none of this is a BAN on ones rights. The river has been a hell of a lot higher than it is now and NEVER has a BAN been put in place. WAKE UP…..

This has to be satire, right? RIGHT?!?!

critter 1

They closed it down to all traffic in 2001 which was second highest on record. I believe but not positive it was closed again after a large summer rain event. not positive on that. I have lived on the river for 30 years and with the amount of crap coming down it is warranted.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The coast guard is actually a branch of the military. So they are only following orders.

As for the wake boats, I hope Wisconsin follows through on statewide restrictions. Wisconsin is a big lake and recreation and fishing state. It would set a good example for other states

Gitchi Gummi

The coast guard is actually a branch of the military. So they are only following orders.

aIn’T nO gOvErNmeNt GoNnA tElL mE wHaT tO dO

/s

ajw

They should have just doubled down on enforcement of existing laws (own your wake, being responsible for what it does to other boats, shoreline, infrastructure, etc) which clearly cover the issues of boating all over in high water, instead of declaring some unenforced No Wake area.

This 1000% we have enough laws and rules.(this goes for lots and lots of things) Enforce the ones on the books already and things will be fine. Bureaucrats can’t fathom that though.

Mike m

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

This 1000% we have enough laws and rules.(this goes for lots and lots of things) Enforce the ones on the books already and things will be fine. Bureaucrats can’t fathom that though.

. Agreed , specifically here on the Mississippi in the la crosse area the cabin cruisers ( tuna boats ) cruise up and down the river creating more wake than anything else on the water . Wake boats couldn’t possibly do any more damage .

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“The coast guard is actually a branch of the military. So they are only following orders.”

Only during war time, when the Coast Guard falls under the control of the Navy. During peace time the it’s under Homeland Security.

I don’t like the over-reaction on the river either, with all the accesses shut down for weeks now. But the actions of the Coast Guard looks to me more like a highway patrol road closure during a blizzard. They close the road, that’s the end of it. At least the Coast Guard pulled the restrictions off Pool 2 and Pool 3 as soon as the water started to drop.

SR

isu22andy

The no wake on P4 might have been the biggest joke I’ve ever seen . Easily saw 50 boats and jet skis on Pepin today running full tilt . Didn’t see one stitch of law enforcement in 6 hours .

eyeguy507
    SE MN

The no wake on P4 might have been the biggest joke I’ve ever seen . Easily saw 50 boats and jet skis on Pepin today running full tilt . Didn’t see one stitch of law enforcement in 6 hours .

how are they supposed to enforce it when they can’t get out to launch?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.