URL Advice

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

sort of a spur of the moment fishing opportunity came to me today and I will be heading to either URL or LOTW for the next two days (Thurs & Fri). Ive fished LOTW open water but ive only fished URL during hard water. Any advice on how to fish URL open water if we end up picking that lake? Thanks for any advice in advance

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I really like to troll shad raps to find schools. You’ll find walleyes anywhere from 3-15′ right now. Most will be 5-12′.

Purpledecent in #6 or #7. Deep or shallow shad rap depending on depth.

Don’t overlook rippin raps too. #5 makes a good search bait up shallow for walleyes and crappies. #6 primarily for walleyes in deeper water.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Your going to want to probably start trolling along that first breakline (the break is at @6′ on the east side) and you can pulls raps, spinners or we’ve longlined ripjigged a fair number of fish in years past. Once you find a concentration you can anchor up and either pitch jigs, throw bobbers or just drift and jig.

You can usually tell where the break is this time of year by the line of boats on it LOL. Not sure how pressure has been this year tho.
    Just hope for no wind from the NW,W, or SW or it can be tough to even get out on the lake. We have pulled plugs in the river before on bad wind days but with the early ice-out I’m sure most eye’s are out of the river. Good luck!

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have read several reports that 4-7′ is the depth to be at right now and that is consistent with past years. I usually move fairly fast pitching jigs or pulling spinners or cranks till I find them. Then pitch jigs or slip bobber rigs.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.