Upper Red this weekend

• Brando Lakes

Popping my Upper Red Lake cherry this weekend. I need a little bit of guidence. Where exactly is the access? I’ve seen maps of the ice situation and cracks but I need some info on getting on at the right point so I can steer clear of shinnanigans. Any useful information for a first timer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

For URL virgins, I’d personally recommend Rogers’ on Red. Stop in there the morning youre going out fishing, they’ll have an updated map of where the ice is fine and where it absolutely is not. Plenty of foot and ATV traffic heading out of there each day. There was a similar post a week or two ago about fishing recommendations. I’d check that one out as well. Goodluck!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

For URL virgins, I’d personally recommend Rogers’ on Red. Stop in there the morning youre going out fishing, they’ll have an updated map of where the ice is fine and where it absolutely is not. Plenty of foot and ATV traffic heading out of there each day. There was a similar post a week or two ago about fishing recommendations. I’d check that one out as well. Goodluck!

X2 on Rogers. I have also gone out of JR’s Corner with nothing bad to say about it.

Ice Cap

You won’t have a problem regardless of where you go out. Just follow the mass migration. smirk With much of the lake still off limits finding elbow room is more likely to be the problem this weekend. I was going to head up today and fish today and tomorrow but the snow and the roads made me think better of it. Besides I have plowing to do at home now. sad

Brando Lakes

You won’t have a problem regardless of where you go out. Just follow the mass migration. smirk With much of the lake still off limits finding elbow room is more likely to be the problem this weekend. I was going to head up today and fish today and tomorrow but the snow and the roads made me think better of it. Besides I have plowing to do at home now. sad

How much snow ya get last night?

Ice Cap

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ice Cap wrote:</div>

Looks like 6 to 8″ and still coming down with some blowing. All schools are closed up here. sounds like the roads are bad up past Grand Rapids to Deer River. Otherwise I’d still think of heading up after I get done plowing. That hwy 2 to Rapids can be a real white knuckler when it’s bad out.

404 ERROR
    MN

Whatever you do, just go out of a resort. Doesn’t matter which one, but definitely go out of one. The vast majority of the resorts keep their facebook page up to date with ice conditions and where their roads go. Don’t be a hero and use the public access on your first trip. Heck, I’ve never used the public access in the 15 years I’ve been going there.

My buddy and I fished out of Beacon Harbor for the first time Friday, they ran a nice operation and also provided a tow/trailer service that day. My dad went out of Hillman’s religiously. If you have a state park sticker, you can use the park to access easy enough. Out from the park was super busy with folks driving pretty far out Sunday, lots of paths and tracks and groups of 2-4 wheelers roaming around. I mostly go out of JRs, they have a better fish fry than Westwind.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ice Cap wrote:</div>

I got word from a guy in Bemidji that said they got no snow there.

Ice Cap

That part of the state is not getting any snow which is the good news for Red. If they got the 8 plus inches we are getting it would set them back awhile.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Ice cap you must be up near me. Here just outside Cloquet I’ve got a level 7” with some drifting. Saying a couple more before it stops. And they’re now saying another 10”+ for Friday to Sunday morning. I guess my wife is gonna be able to use the snowshoes I just got here for her B-day a lot sooner than I thought shock

Think I’m now looking at a day trip on the 7th for my first run up there. I’ve used Beacon Harbor, Hillman’s, Westwinds, Rogers and JR,s roads in the past. All will give good intel on where to, and more importantly, not to go. Listen to them.
    Try to keep at least 100 yards apart from other groups and stay quiet as possible. These are shallow water eyes and they will/do spook. It’s why many outfitters put rubber flooring on their rental houses. Good luck and have fun!

Attachments:
    1. C878A1CF-5504-4DFE-A081-827D741D3826.jpeg

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

The above advice about going out through a resort/guide is worth following. Doesn’t cost much to access and they’ll keep you on safe ice this early in the season. I’ll be out of JR’s Friday through Monday. If you find yourself in the SE corner and see a couple Otter hubs and wheelers stop by and say hi. Good luck!

Brando Lakes

The above advice about going out through a resort/guide is worth following. Doesn’t cost much to access and they’ll keep you on safe ice this early in the season. I’ll be out of JR’s Friday through Monday. If you find yourself in the SE corner and see a couple Otter hubs and wheelers stop by and say hi. Good luck!

I’m thinking about going out of JR’s Friday morning. What do they usually charge for access? Do they allow you to park overnight? As I plan on staying in my otter hub on a my cot. Brining my wheeler as well just don’t want my truck to not be there come Saturday or Sunday.

They are $15, $30 for 3 days. They have a large plowed field behind the bar for parking and wheelhouse storage. I wouldn’t hesitate leaving a vehicle parked there, but you’ll probably want to ask about the best spot and let them know your intentions in the bar.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I thought it was $10 for access, but maybe $15 is right. Best to call or check Bacefook to make sure.

No problem parking overnight but still best to let them know when you use the access. Seen plenty of people have way too many at that bar and they certainly don’t want people driving. Unless you head west for some .30 ice drifting…but I wouldn’t know anything about that

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We fished out of JR’s on Monday and had a good bite within easy walking distance of the access. The average size of the fish this year is very nice with surprising number of 20+ inch fish in the mix. Our best producer was BIG fatheads under ifidhpros while jigging 1/8 oz Green UV rattle spoons with a minnow head.

Our best bite came in 8.5 feet of water.

Attachments:
    1. image000000_07.jpg

2. IMG_20191125_134310.jpg

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Man I wish I didn’t have to be in Texas for work next week. flame
    It’s also just a bit to far for me to justify making it a day trip up and back.

However, the week of the 9th it’s game on!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I think they are forecasting 6-10″ of snow for Waskish this weekend Fri-Sun so see how that plays out and if anyone can update the situation please do. Hoping to head up there Dec 6/7

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>moustachesteve wrote:</div>

I’m thinking about going out of JR’s Friday morning. What do they usually charge for access? Do they allow you to park overnight? As I plan on staying in my otter hub on a my cot. Brining my wheeler as well just don’t want my truck to not be there come Saturday or Sunday.

I will be up there as well headed out tonight

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Bearcat maybe see you on the ice or at the bar. Would be good to put a face to a (user)name. Good luck!

Brando Lakes

Thanks everybody. Think I’ve got the info I need to make it all come together. moustachesteve and bearcat keep me posted if any weather related issue happen as I’m coming from about 7 hours away. Beers on me!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Just got back from a parts of 3 day trip to Beacons on Upper Red Lake. They have 9-11″ ice out to the 1st crack. Water is very stained due to all the rain runoff from bogs this fall. They put out a Steel bridge on Sunday allowing for ATV or snowmobiles out another mile to a 2nd crack. 8-9″ of good ice in that segment with the water clearing by the outside crack. The resort is being careful restricting traffic to these areas that they have found safe.Fishing was good but slower than normal for early ice. Several fish coming in from the side 2-4′ off the bottom over 11 fow. Need to keep one lure high. Bobber rods worked early and late but not much during the day. Fish are nice sized with several in the 21-23″ range,…fun! Take time to put ur transducer in a dedicated hole as the big ones put up a tussle. Body baits didn’t work all that well. Tingler spoons and jigs better. One crappie caught. We ate a bunch, brought a limit home, and released the fish from the last morning. Last morning abbreviated so we could get home ahead of the snow.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Make sure to bring a sharp fillet knife. Go out of JR’s and return with some fish. You can fillet them up in back and have the JR’s staff fry them up with some fries for a small fee. Its a very unique MN experience. Then go out and catch some more the next day to bring home!

Not to mention, JR’s is a set-up bar. Bring in a bottle of rum and they’ll sell you a few Cokes to go with it.

I’m going to miss out on the mad dash this season — maybe already did — but it’s a fun time nonetheless.

Ice Cap

Latest storm watch alert for this weekend.

Event: Winter Storm Watch
    Alert:
    Target Area:
    East Marshall
    East Polk
    Kittson
    Lake Of The Woods
    North Beltrami
    North Clearwater
    Pennington
    Red Lake
    Roseau
    South Beltrami
    West Marshall
    West Polk
    …WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT
    THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT…

* WHAT…Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 13
    inches possible. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph.

* WHERE…Portions of north central and northwest Minnesota and
    northeast North Dakota.

* WHEN…From late Friday night through late Saturday night.

* IMPACTS…Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Areas
    of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility.

Could set things back quite a bit of they get the full brunt of this.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

FYI a new rule this year you can’t bring your own beer in. Not sure how strict they’ll be. Also don’t know if that counts for the hard stuff. Bit of a different character though at JRs. Still a great time. Access is very good. Go toward the pressure ridge from what I hear

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

They sell beer, why would you even try to bring it in? The season is short and the work days are long, they have to make as much cash as they can in that period. Plow drivers and gas, cooks, bartenders, kitchen staff, and a bunch more people than we all think need paychecks. I think it’s a lucrative business but not the gold mine we all think.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

JR’s is a full service bar this year, including liquor and no more 3.2 beer.

Brando Lakes

Well I made it up there Thursday morning and left Friday night before the storm came through.
    Best fishing was 11 fow
    A lot of pressure as of Friday so branch off if you can or try to keep your distance. Bite definitely slowed Friday. Was a few hundred Thurs and a few thousand come Friday. Jr’s was slick. Beer, liqour, food. 15 a day for access/parking 30 for 3 days. Was a great experience for my first time. No fish under 17in top end was 21ish. For me anyways. Thanks for all the great info/advise! I’ll be back.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20191128_083159270_HDR.jpg

2. IMG_20191129_101306581.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well I made it up there Thursday morning and left Friday night before the storm came through.
    Best fishing was 11 fow
    A lot of pressure as of Friday so branch off if you can or try to keep your distance. Bite definitely slowed Friday. Was a few hundred Thurs and a few thousand come Friday. Jr’s was slick. Beer, liqour, food. 15 a day for access/parking 30 for 3 days. Was a great experience for my first time. No fish under 17in top end was 21ish. For me anyways. Thanks for all the great info/advise! I’ll be back.

Well you timed it right, luck of the cards. And it can be just that, you get there, or anywhere?, when you can. Good report and you had a good time, that’s what matters most. I had planned on being there today so here’s my pic… mad

Attachments:
    1. o1i2h6oih.jpg

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.