upper red lake

• Alex James Hartman

heading to upper red lake at the end of December, wondering if anyone has been up there lately and what the ice conditions look like and what resorts they are going out of. what depths are fish being caught and how far off shore is the walk? what colors are being used? any information that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

CaptainMusky

I just saw that one of the resorts allowed ATV traffic and then someone went through this weekend.
    They are supposed to get a good amount of snow by mid-week so that will really screw up ice conditions for sure.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

There is a bit of banter going at LSF and FM.

I’ll be up between Christmas and New Years. I think cars will just start going at that point.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Went out of Beacon Harbor, very nice people by the way, after barely finding a parking spot. Boy were they busy! We hit the ice about 7:30 with the ATV and sled in tow. Went out quite a ways in the already bunches of hub houses that were already set and fishing. Found 6-7″ of ice everywhere we drilled. Using the K-drill was a real treat! We picked up two small perch and two eyes in the second spot we drill holes. We then made another move and randomly found a spot that had 8.5′-9′ of water without anyone too close to us. We picked up our keepers from 15″+ to just barely under 17″ for our biggest. For us the bite was not hot and heavy but we did miss quite a few hits. I had at least 3-4 fish hooked that never made it on top of the ice. I was a newbe with my new Frabill 371 reels and it showed. Best baits were a 1/8oz light green buckshot with the glow back and whole minnow for my buddy and for me it was the smallest glow red Lindy Darter tipped with a minnow head. Boy when they hit the Darter they crush it! Lots of fun for our first trip. The owner of Beacon, John, said he is fairly confident that we will be driving on the ice when we come back and stay with them on 1-1-16.

Have not heard anything about an ATV going through. Can you clarify where and when and what resort?

CaptainMusky

Have not heard anything about an ATV going through. Can you clarify where and when and what resort?

Someone had posted it on Facebook. Didn’t name the resort. I believe it was a Southside resort though. I will see if I can find out for sure.

Reid Beilke

I’d be willing to bet it went through on the south side off a private access. I was out there the weekend before last and only had 4-5″ which was a few inches less then e everywhere farther north at the resorts . There were pressure ridges every couple hundred feet and the ice seemed a lot less consistent, so I would think it would be pretty easy to hit a thin patch like that.
    If this was at any of the resorts I’m pretty confident they would have limited back down to foot traffic only, otherwise its just bad for business.

Hoyt4
    NULL

I do not think I would drive out until late Jan. That first week of Jan is coming quick and would not risk that. We will be up that week but we only have to go out a mile from the cabin to a few spots. Hope we make ice and snow up there.

Stephen Graham
    Colo, Iowa

I just saw a rescue truck on the Rogers lake cam this morning around 1100am. Following that about 10 different groups leaving the ice, assuming they shutdown the access as no other cars in the parking lot.

Here is the webcam link if anyone is wondering how things are looking at Rogers access. http://rogersonred.com/web-cam/

I believe that link needs to be used in Firefox or Safari in order to load.

troutbum
    St. Paul

My buddy was up there fishing this morning. He texted me “the ice just broke off”. That picture helps make sense of his text. Wow. That is sketchy

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

It was nice of the two rescue workers to carry out the bait bucket over the bridge grin

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Up to 50 people rescued today. Glad they are all right.

troutbum
    St. Paul

______

Attachments:
    1. image14.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I don’t want to point any fingers here but seems to me that some of the resorts are a little eager to get people out there and are acting irresponsibly. Many of the resorts say just foot traffic and one in particular, which I won’t name, keeps pushing the needle…

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

From what I’ve read online, it wasn’t much of a “rescue” but more a crack reopened and they had to find a safe spot to cross back over it.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

From what I’ve read online, it wasn’t much of a “rescue” but more a crack reopened and they had to find a safe spot to cross back over it.

Yep! Media over hype as usual.

Lots of armchair quarterbacks out their….just saying.

Travis

Kinda expected something to shake loose with the wind today, and it did. I agree with alex, everything I’ve heard was that it was smooth and organized and not as big of a “to-do” as our media likes to hype.

not to down play ice rescues by any stretch, i have many friends who are firefighters but sounds like a good call by the resort to get the proper resources en route as they began to handle the situation and we all know how fast conditions can change.

Glad to hear everyone is safe as it is too often we have to learn our lessons the hard way, this lesson is a Lil softer and concluded alot happier!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I went out of Beacons as well with a snowmobile and a “leg over” ATV. We had 6″ strong ice out a mile or so. Walking or moving the machine did not move the water up and down in the holes. I saw houses at Jillmans and West Wind as well. We did not venture out past the crack but heard ice was similar in thickness. Sat morning was slow but sat night was special with non stop action for about an hour. Bobber rods, jigs, jigging raps, rippin raps, tingler spoons and slender spoons all worked during the weekend. I am still mad at the big pike that broke off my jigging rap! I am worried about snow as well. Hopefully, the snow storm is less than predicted. I heard Beacons lodging is sold out for the next two weekends and most weekdays.

Johnny Laker
    Central MN

If you want to keep track of daily conditions up there I suggest jumping on Facebook and liking JR’s Corner Access.. They normally post daily conditions and are great about telling you whats hot and whats not if you go inside and talk to them a bit.. I’ve been going out of there for years and they are a great bunch that will keep you informed!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.