Iowa Opener

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Heading down Friday night to stay in motel near hunting area. Birds are down but it’s Iowa so hopes are high.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Good luck! Take some pics. Lee going with you?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Mikey cant make it this year so I am tagging along with his relatives. I’m sure him and I will hit it in Nov. And hopefully Dec in SD..

kooty
    Keymaster

We are still trying to work out some dates for December. Tough coordinating so many schedules.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Reports were true. Never seen it this bad in the areas we went. Weather means everything in pheasant country and last winter/spring really did a number. Ended up with 4 on opener between 3 guys and 3 dogs. Anyone else hit Iowa this past weekend?

kooty
    Keymaster

Bummer. Hopefully we have a mild winter and spring. These birds can rebound so fast with 2-3 hatches a summer.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Reports were true. Never seen it this bad in the areas we went. Weather means everything in pheasant country and last winter/spring really did a number. Ended up with 4 on opener between 3 guys and 3 dogs. Anyone else hit Iowa this past weekend?

This is actually the third year in a row that the ringnecks have endured nasty cold wet springs that have decimated lots of birds from the landscape at this time. The loss of CRP lands is starting to hurt as well… I went to school in the NE part of the state and still have friends from LaX going down and its been tough the last two seasons for sure.

Mark

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I fear for the future of pheasants with CRP programs shrinking.

kooty
    Keymaster

In states with very rich agriculture land like Iowa and Minnesota, I suspect there will be very little pheasant hunting in the future.

Dad has about 12 more years on his. As far as we are concerned, it will always be CRP in some fashion or another whether we are getting paid or not.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Kooty:

Your family and families like yours will be the future of wildlife.

I haven’t been close to this as I should so there may be other reasons (budget) for CRP disappearing, but hopefully the government will find other renewable fuels to help take the pressure off the desire to put crops back into fields…

Mark

nittany_lion

We definitely had a slower opener than in the last 10 years. However, we were pleasantly surprised with how many total birds (especially hens) that we saw, as we were expecting the absolute worst.

10 guys ended with 20 birds on Saturday and 15 on Sunday.

The locals were telling us that there is some major speculation that a new soybean insecticide (Warrior?) is killing birds (robins, starlings, pheasants?). Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Left the camera at home, so don’t have any pictures to post. Hopefully Whatsa can add a few! Jeff

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.