Thanksgiving weekend PIC HEAVY

• neusch303

Well, we hit the local game preserve for a little family fun over the weekend. Not sure what was better. Getting my brother, his girlfriend and Nicole behind the shotgun, watching Hoss work birds for the first time or just spending time with the family.

The plan was for dad and I to shoot back-up allowing Nicole, Jess and Chris a chance to shoot some birds. Unfortunately dad fell off the deck last Monday and broke his wrist. So that pretty much left me to shoot back-up. As you can see, dad didn’t hesitate to still shoot, but it didn’t take long for the pain to hinder his shooting. As you can imagine shooting a classic double that has a nasty recoil will hammer a broken wrist.

Blue is dad’s weimaraner who weighs in at a healthy 113 pounds. He’s a tank and a great upland bird dog. I really enjoy hunting behind him. Hoss is my new lab (6 months old) and I was extremely impressed with how well he worked for a dog that really doesn’t know anything. I even was able to call him off a missed bird and have him come straight back to me. He worked close all day and listened to basic control commands perfectly.

Mom isn’t a hunter at all, but she loves dogs and really enjoys watching them work a field and the birds. The day was a great success and everyone really enjoyed themselves. Not a bad way to spend time with the family.

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/SJU

looks like a great time…love the pics, especially those that have the birds getting up….

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Great Pix

coppertop
    Central MN

Very neat action shoots and good timing on the shutter! I’m a non bird hunter and enjoyed these!

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

cool pics!!
    you must be a perfessional or have a really good camera

neusch303

Quote:

cool pics!!

you must be a perfessional or have a really good camera

Nicole gets credit for those. I bought her a nice digital DSLR (Nikon D5000) for her B-Day last year. She’s been attending some classes getting into photography as a hobby.

The cool thing is these photos are unedited. I can’t wait to see the final edited versions.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us and awesome photos! I too have been getting into some better photography and almost bought the Nikon D5000. I upgraded a little bit more and ended up with the D90. Now I need to learn how to use it!

neusch303

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us and awesome photos! I too have been getting into some better photography and almost bought the Nikon D5000. I upgraded a little bit more and ended up with the D90. Now I need to learn how to use it!

Some evening classes go a long way. I’ve learned a lot just from what Nicole has learned.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The pic of the bird getting dusted 10′ from the barrel is awesome. Doesn’t eat worth a hoot, but awesome photo!!

neusch303

Quote:

The pic of the bird getting dusted 10′ from the barrel is awesome. Doesn’t eat worth a hoot, but awesome photo!!

I’m just glad he got it. He was shooting my Red Label with 7 1/2 field loads.

Shooting clean-up was a blast. I made a number of 50 and 60 yards shots. Something I’d normally never do, but I really wanted my bro, his GF, and Nicole to get in some shooting before dad and/or I killed the bird.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I have a white lab that looks just like yours. Points about the same way too! Nice pictures.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Absolutely great pics!!! Looks like a lot of fun as well!!!

Mark

big_g
    Isle, MN

Awesom shots(pics) and shooting(feathers!)

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Sweet pics

That is one HUGE Weimer. I have never seen one that large

Where did you go? I need to get my pup on a few birds and work her in a controlled environment.

Thanks

neusch303

This is Bader’s Pheasant Run up in Federal Dam, MN. Pretty far haul from here. Awesome place though. I was looking, there a few preserves down here. The problem I have with them is they all charge for scratch birds which is total BS. I refuse to pay for birds that are already paid for. Deb at Bader’s doesn’t charge us for scratch.

whittsend

Wow, fantastic photos. Great hunt!!!!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Wow, fantastic photos. Great hunt!!!!

X 2 That is some awesome photography!

lick

Quote:

That one was my favorite Awesome pics Wade

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.