Pheasant hunting in S.E, MN

• lund115
    N subs of Minneapolis

It has been quite a few years since I have been able to get out hunting. From my unofficial road count(driving to work)the population is way down. I am going to hit some WMA’s this weekend south of Rochester. I am just wondering if anyone has had any luck.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

From the VERY LITTLE I have been out I agree with the Population being down South!

Good Luck!

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

I have seen next to nothing this year on our farms. They normally fly into the cattle yards and pick at the corn and rocks and I haven’t seen more than a few this year. We do have a pesky bald eagle that has a taste for them, though…

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

I used to pheasant hunt all the time down here but I gave it up It’s so over hunted and we just don’t see the birds anymore I do when people hunt next to my mom and dads place tho , the birds will just fly over to ours and never get shot Then we just when they come and ask to hunt ours Love the sport but till they change something and help/fix the problem I will not hunt them around here

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Actually the low population has more to do with the long severe win ter and deep snow we had last year. At our shooting range we have 60 acres of crp, willows and slough bottoms. Since we have 200 members in our club we don’t allow hunting there. I did a survey at thankgiving time last fall. There were over 200 pheasants. By mid January we had 3 ft of snow here. We decided we better supplimental feed the birds.By the end of January there were only50 birds left. A big rain-ice storm in March was what was the worst.Our count after the storm left us with only 8 birds! And of them there was only 1 rooster. He was run over by the feed truck in March. So I concluded that weather can do way more harm to pheasants than man, owls, fox, or coyotes. Mother nature is a vicious predator.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.