Woodbury, Mn

?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Mine starts this week with MEA.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I heard great reports from SD. A couple groups had 3-5 man limits in under an hour. Still waiting on pics.

fish509
    St. Michael

Our group was four guys and four dogs. You had to work but we found birds. Only ended up shooting six. Kinda weird though, two of the guys in our group have curved barrels . If we could only shoot straight.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Opener was a ton of fun!

The hunting part was a little frustrating. The bird numbers are definitely down some in that area. Couple that with dry weather Saturday, wind, and trying to hunt in a large group, and it makes for not a very successful day. The dogs hunted hard, I missed my one shot, my Brother went 2 for 2, and my Dad never fired his gun. Others in the group popped a couple that we never recovered.

Sunday was a night and day difference. On Sunday there was dew on the ground, no wind, and we had 120 acres that we had left untouched the day before. We had birds flying wild all over the place, plenty of birds were missed, and after a quick morning hunt we had 10 in the bag for 8 guys. Of course I ended up on the wrong end of the action almost everytime, but I managed to put down my 2. It was another fun year and I’m looking forward to getting back out in a couple weeks.

red_lab
    Winsted,MN

Between the 6 of us that were out. (split into pairs in 3 different areas of western MN) We all managed to get our limits for both days. Had to work hard and cover a ton of ground but it is worth it.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Between the 6 of us that were out. (split into pairs in 3 different areas of western MN) We all managed to get our limits for both days. Had to work hard and cover a ton of ground but it is worth it.

What was the crop situation like?

red_lab
    Winsted,MN

Id say 40% of the corn was gone in the areas we hunted

neverhome
    Anoka county

I have been out sat, monday and today. All days I got my birds but it was difficult until today. Monday most of the corn was in and I think I saw maybe 10 birds and shot the two roosters I saw (that took 3 hrs) I was really concerned that the birds were way down. Today, most of the corn was down and shot my birds in 5 mins. Me and the dog checked out some new areas and it was awesome. In the couple hrs I was messing around I could have shot at least 10 more birds that flushed real close and I saw a ton more. The birds are not down and it should be great hunting from here on out until the birds figure the game out. And this was all state land.

Game on

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s encouraging. Can you tell us if you had to travel way far west or not?

neverhome
    Anoka county

Benson area and a little south of that.

JacobNohner

Blue Earth area was poor hunting still alot of corn. Had the kids and wife out on opener seen 4 roosters 7 hens all day. Yes we did miss 2 but that is the way it goes some times. Sunday ended up with 1 roosters and had to head back buy noon. Vary frustrated with my shooting But it was still fun to get the wife and kids out with me

neverhome
    Anoka county

Here are a few pictures from the 3 times I have been out. Opener I could only get out for an hr and had to stay close to the metro. Got one right away and could have had another but I had a crowd by that time and it would not have been safe. Monday I got out and put on some miles. Only saw 10 birds or so and only two roosters. Most of the areas I usually hunt were under water all the way up to the crop line. Got out on wed and boy was it a different game. A lot of birds and a lot of fun. I found some new areas that were stacked with birds. Had to work but I think I will be back out on Monday and then maybe Milacs on Tue and Wed! Hard to get out of the field tho.

Off to SD on Halloween!

Good luck all! Wish I could take some good photos

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.