Nemadji Grouse

• Bob Janicek
    Cottage Grove, MN

So me, the fisher twins, and the new pup hit Nemadji Sat, turned out to be a nice day weather wise. We worked west from Kingsdale on the forest road, dad was trying to find old haunts from 15 years back. I don’t really know if we ever did find those spots, but it was great day for a walk. We ended up empty handed with only four flushes, all of which we mostly heard and did not see except one with my back turned (figures). The new GWP did well, although the birds were not holding for her, she ranged good and it appears she has a working nose. The kids had fun on their first time out, busy playing ‘shaky shaky’ (too much TV) with standing dead trees, but far enough back not to bother me and the dog (they were not carrying obviously!). Cover is way thick, ran into other hunters and wheelers here and there, but had enough spots to work without feeling pressured at all. Anyone else get out?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I ended up in Ely over the weekend. I got 2 Sat and 2 Sunday. Wandered from Grand Marais to Ely. Very dissapointed with number of bird sightings. Did a lot of walking and driving. Ended up spraining my ankle chasing down number 4 yesterday. I’m limping pretty good. I hope it heals fast. I need that ankle again this weekend!

Bob Janicek
    Cottage Grove, MN

Did you hear any drumming up that way Mike? Almost every place we walked we could hear drumming. It’s the twin’s 9 yr bday this weekend, wonder if going again would be ok? It probably wouldn’t be noticed (inlaws in town) except that one of the twins wouldn’t let me go without him.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Heard no drumming. SOunds like your in a decent area if they are setting up territory.

Bob Janicek
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Heard no drumming. SOunds like your in a decent area if they are setting up territory.

Either that or the natives are restless! We’ll see what this weekend brings I guess.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.