Here Grousy Grousy

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m pumped for opener this weekend. My all time favorite game animal. Alwyas has been and always will be. I have several trips planned this fall to chase them across two states. The second best part to successfully hunting them is calling my wife when with the news. She absolutely loves eating them. Me too!! Good luck to my fellow grouse freaks!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Good luck this weekend Mike.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I too love the grouse trips…. although I haven’t been out on an opener for years…. too busy bow hunting Good luck and have fun

Bob Janicek
    Cottage Grove, MN

Funny about the wife Mike, mine’s the same way with grouse. I haven’t been out since we had the boys, put my dog down in that time and just haven’t had the time. Fast forward to now, new pup fresh out of school, twin 9 year olds ready to walk, tried out the tent on back of the truck the last few weekends. We’re ready! Now I just need to find those old trails I used to frequent 10 years ago!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

When you coming to Wisconsin???

Mark

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

When you coming to Wisconsin???

Mark

For starters this weekend on opener.

timmy

Good luck……

I will be pounding some of the St Louis and Itasca county trails with a dog fresh out of college myself……

T

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Awsome! Good luck to you too! I’ll be in north MN the first wekeend of Oct then again the 16th possibly.

timmy

Lots of birds this year, Mike. Drumming counts in the spring may have dipped slightly, but we had a dry spring. Dry spring = great hatches = lots of dumb young ones for the new brit to point.

T

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sweeeet. We were staying at a friends cabin up that way for fishing opener and there was a grouse on either side of the driveway drumming all weekend. YOu could see them both from one spot. They were on those logs from Fri thru Sunday. I hope to pay them and their kin a visit soon…..

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I got to my honey hole early on Sat. So early I had to wait for shooting light. Still too dark when I started walking. Like last year this spot was full of broods.Only this year they seem like they were born smart. A beautifull morning with no wind and 39 degrees but they were flushing long. I quit counting flushes at 12 but estimate I had at least 18 with numerous re-flushes no doubt. I was in this particular covert for less than two hours. I never saw one on the ground. They were smoking me. I finally nailed one but only got shots at 3. The rest of the day was a bust. Coverered a lot of land but saw one other bird. Same Sunday morning. Unbelievable. I dont know if I’m more in tune to it or what but I sure notice bear tracks nearly everywhere I hunt?
    This weeked I’m hitting the north shore. Fingers crossed. How’d others do?

timmy

0 for 20 or so. Let’s just say I need to work the dog a bit more on birds. I was impressed with the bird numbers, though. Could have easily taken a limit if I wanted to shoot birds the dog bumped…..but with a new dog, I felt it best to wait. Good thing it’s a long season….I am going to need it

T

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.