What the best steel shot load

• pahaarstad
    metro

With much of the public land now you have to shoot steel what is the best load for phesants. I have been shooting 3″ #4 winchester’s with a mod. choke. I have not been real happy with the way kill. I used it on game farm and on wild birds and have had to chase down to many birds . What are some loads you guys have been using? Do I need to go up to a #2?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

If I shoot Steel, I typically use 3″ #2’s. o

Otherwise I use 2 3/4″ & 3″ #4’s LEAD at this time of the year.

Federal Premium

pahaarstad
    metro

I have been hunting WPA and WMA mostly this year. So insted of making sure I do not have any lead in my vest I went with all steel this year. Most of the game farm want you to have steel too.

pahaarstad
    metro

are you shooting steel threw a full choke? If so what kind are you using? I thought you could not shoot a full choke with steel. Would a pattern master work.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

3″ #2’s is the onlt way to go late season for sure, and this is what I use all season. I shoot them thru a MOD. choke.

Bob Bowman
    MN

These bad boys are my favorite

I only shot 2 3/4- #4 all season long. Lots of power

brianthompson33

If you can afford to use the bismuth or heavyshot, they are far superior to steel. If you are going with steel, I would stay away from winchester, they hollow out the pellets and though they have the same size as any other manufacturer, they lose energy much faster.Cut one open and see for yourself, they have a little hole in the pellets and are hollow.I have had good luck with 2 and 3 steel for pheasants and waterfowl with federal or remington. Good luck!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Late season would be 1’s or 2’s in 3″. If you are shooting High Vis like 1500-1550, use a Mod or Improved. The faster shot needs a more open choke. I used a lot of 1’s even for geese over decoys and that really whacks them. The pattern seems to fall apart and spread out more with High Vis and full choke. Remember, steel does not restrict like lead.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.