Shock Collar

• huskyjerk
    Swea City, Iowa

Hey guys,

I have a 6 year old lab that I want to put a collar, I should say I need to put a collar on!! It’s not that she doesn’t listen (eventually) I am just tired of having to say everything 3-4 times! Am I going to make a mistake putting one on her when she is this old? She is a timid dog and I don’t want to ruin her, but I have to do something. Any opinions or help would be grreatly appreciated, also what brand to buy, I would like to get buy for a couple hundred bucks if thats possible??

Your help is always appreciated
    Thanks guys

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

Hey Husky I would say no putting one on your dog at that age will not hurt. I use a tri tronics classic 70 with the different plug powers, but I hunt coon hounds and need the extra distance sometimes you may be able to pick up one cheaper that doesn’t travel quite as far.

Dan

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

hey husky I was just looking at cabelas website and it looks like there dogtra models may be a good unit that reach up to 3/4 mile and have a selector on the transmitter to controll intensity.

Dan cabelas

Don Hanson

If done correctly, you can make her bolder and more confident. She is complying but not on the first command. Is this in the field or anywhere?
    First off, start the training with yard work. I would wait until after the hunting season is over and then start your E-collar training, Start with the basic commands, kennel, sit, here and heel. Before you start, let the dog wear the collar a few day before you use any type of stimulation. Put it on her every time you go out for a walk or play fetch. It would be a good idea if you get one now to have her wear it on hunting trips, just don’t push any buttons yet.
    Now that your dog has had the collar on and has been out having fun, you can start the training. Follow the owners manual on fitting and choosing the right stimulation level. We are going to do low level stimulation for training. If your dog knows the verbal command for kennel, this is how you can start the training. I use a travel kennel and put it out in the yard. Have your dog on a check cord or leash. Give low level stimulation and a split second later, say kennel. When the dog enters the kennel turn off stimulation. After a few reps of this, you will notice the dog moving towards the kennel before you get the the vocal command out. At this point switch to giving the vocal command first followed by stimulation. Again leave the stimualtion on until the dog is in the kennel. After a few reps, give the vocal command without any stimulation. The dog will realize by following the command it is avoiding the stimulation. Consistency is important. After this training, never will you give a command more than once.
    Follow the same steps for other commands except heal. When using stimulation on heal, use the vocal command first followed by stimulation.
    Take as much time that is needed, don’t rush the training.
    Remember, the dog must first know what to do before any stimulation is given.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Just remember to use it correctly, I saw a guy who had one on a dog and used incorrectly the dog was mortified would not leave the guys side

robby
    Quad Cities

Husky, It should not hurt anything. The key to shock collars though is not to let the dog associate the shock with the collar. If your unit comes with a dummy collar, use it all the time, then switch to the real thing when training or hunting. Also, never, and I mean never, threaten the dog with the remote controller. Again, the dog must believe that you are “magic” and can inflict the correction at any time and anywhere. I have also shocked myself at each energy level just to know what the dog is going to experience. Usually, as time goes on and you have corrected “shocked” the dog a few times, you can decrease the energy until it is barely noticeable. After a while the shock will be all but a slight tap on the shoulder to remind the dog to listen. Shock collars are great tools as long as they are not used as punishment. Also remember to praise the dog when they listen. Simple positive and negative reinforcement. Pavlov was right, after typing this I am thinking about pheasant/quail hunting and my mouth is watering. LOL.

brianthompson33

yOUR SITUATION IS PERFECT FOR A SHOCK COLLAR AS LONG AS YOU DO IT CORRECTLY. i HAVE A LAB THAT GETS “LAZY” WITH COMMANDS AND i USE THE COLLAR TO REMIND HIM TO RESPOND ON THE FIRST COMMAND. i HAVE HAD ALOT OF SUCCESS WITH THE VIBRATION MODE AND WILL WORK WITH HIM BEFORE i GO HUNTING SO i HAVE HIS UNDIVIDED ATTENTION. iF HE DOESNT RESPOND TO THE VIBRATION IMMEDIATELY , i WILL GIVE HIM A MILD JOLT TO SAY, HEY LISTEN UP. wORKS GREAT, BUT ALWAYS REINFORCE AND BE CONSISTENT.i HAVE AN INEXPENSIVE DOGTRA AND IT FITS THE BILL WELL. GOOD LUCK, AND GOOD HUNTIN’!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.