Ok, where are all the birds?

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I dig it… it’ll keep the rain and sun off the screen. Can’t go wrong there I don’t think.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I want one….or two!

-J.

fishmark
    Ramsey, MN

I have one on my LCX-25c and it works great. The only down side is it’s a little more difficult to push the buttons. I used to use my thumb to push the buttons and wrap my fingers around the back, can’t do that anymore, now I just use a finger. I can live with that. Of course if it’s cloudy, just take it off.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

I have one on my LCX-25c and it works great. The only down side is it’s a little more difficult to push the buttons. I used to use my thumb to push the buttons and wrap my fingers around the back, can’t do that anymore, now I just use a finger. I can live with that. Of course if it’s cloudy, just take it off.

Good point Mark! I would assume the majority of us push our buttons the same way you use to.
    I guess the pros outweigh the cons and that’s what counts.
    Now that we know someone who has one, do you still use
    your Lowrance cover without issue?

Thanks,

Dan

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I picked up a couple of these from Raptor at a show a couple of weeks ago. I talked to one of their engineers for quite awhile. Not only do they keep the elements and sun off the screen, but they eliminate the black effect with polaroid glasses. I can’t see a thing with them on because of the sun’s glare on the screen. Can’t wait to try them this spring.

fishmark
    Ramsey, MN

Yes, the cover fits over the velcro taped to the unit, no problems there.

walleyejohn

Dan,
    Thanks again, another nice item for the boat.
    I noticed a plethora of items on your dash but what exactly is that flat tray?
    Something you manufactured or customized yourself?

walleyejohn

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

The Lund belongs to “fishmark” and hopefully he will check
    back and answer your question.

Dan

KirtH
    Lakeville

Ok I have been out a 8 times or so worked some WMA areas and nothing.

Saw a 2 roosters but they where in another county.

Tried down south of Owatonna, so of Lakeville, down by New Ulm.

Been hitting them mid week, are the WMA area that pressured?

Poor Molly all we are getting is excersize.

BTW she is doing great for her 1st full year.

KirtH
    Lakeville

BTW we are going to work Friday down by Springfield, guess where she wants to go for lunch?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I haven’t been out this season due to a medical issue, but I have been told by 1st hand people that in western MN towards the Marshall and Appleton areas that the hunting the past few weeks has been nothing short of fantastic. Just get the DNR map with the green dots and go to town.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Goin that way this weekend

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

Been hitting them mid week, are the WMA area that pressured?

YES! They get pounded, at least where I’m at. Every day there are several vehicles at each aproach. Early season I walk in off the road, not the approaches, into some of the spots joe hunter can’t get unless they want to get a wet arse. I smack a few out of there every year. Once them birds get pounded on few birds will use it, until the snow flies, then the cattails will produce but it has to be frozen. I only hit the state land a few days a year, it just gets to much pressure.

BIRDDOG

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

I hardly ever hunt public, I would rather spend 3 hours knocking on doors than and get on a couple of places than hunt thousands of acres of public with nothing in it. Actually if there was anytime of the year I would hunt it, it would be right now with the snow it should push some birds into the thickest cover these WMA’s have to offer. 90% of the farms I have hunted this year I have never hunted before, I have gotten far more yes’s than no’s, you need to get away from the Metro, hobby farms are tough to get on, get out where the real farmers live. Look for the picked corn, this time of year a field that hasn’t been plowed is gold, not to say that you won’t get birds by plowed fields.Use this strategy nexted time out, try to get permission to hunt 6 small spots, 3 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, out of those 6 if you can get a shot on bird in two of them you have your limit. I have done this the last 6 times out, no 50 bird flushes, take them one at a time. How far out are you shooting?, this time of the year if you have a good dog all you have to do is knockem down. With wild flushers you have to be ready to shoot at all times, alot of times your dog will just start to get birdy and they are flushing at 50 yards. Good luck

big_g
    Isle, MN

I just got home from some muzzy hunting. When I pulled into my cousins yard, there was about 30 or so pheasants, by the corn bin, having at it. Then when I was walking down to the woods, I kicked up 3 more !!! I am a good shot with my muzzy, but not that good !!!

big g

umichjesse
    Plymouth

Quote:

I hardly ever hunt public, I would rather spend 3 hours knocking on doors than and get on a couple of places than hunt thousands of acres of public with nothing in it. Actually if there was anytime of the year I would hunt it, it would be right now with the snow it should push some birds into the thickest cover these WMA’s have to offer.

Bingo! I couldn’t agree more. The private land shines earlier, but the WMAs shine now. Farming is so efficient now that many sections don’t have much cover once the fields are plowed under and it snows a little. The birds will get in large flocks and hole up in the thick cover, aka swamps. They still feed in the corn, but by 9 am they head for cover, often on public land.

neverhome
    Anoka county

Just keep looking. I have hunted only public land except for one weekend and in my opinion I have had a great year. I have hunted from The Maple lake area down to the Marshall area and have only been skunked once when I hit the litchfield area for a short trip. I have had two trips where 2 of us were done in a hour and other days like Monday when I walked all day to get my two birds. I have found many more people out this time of the year than in years past. The only field I was the first to hunt on Monday was the one I started in. I am not one to ask permission but maybe I should start. Get into the thick stuff and try to stay quiet. Besides, all the birds this time of the year are trophys because they are very smart.

Good luck, Bill

KirtH
    Lakeville

Thanks everyone

Give a report this weekend

KirtH
    Lakeville

Found some birds, they are skittish, Molly did good but still needs some time to get over her gun shot anxiety

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.