HOW DID IT GO GUYS?

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

How did opening weekend go for everyone??? Did everyone have a good weekend? Where did you go and did you see a good number of birds?

We had seen a ton of birds, but our shooting was still in preseason form.

Did everyone get dried out from yesterday??

Is everyone as out of shape as I am.

pahaarstad
    metro

I took my son and my dog out on Saturday.(both newbies). We where in the Litchfield area on the WPA’s had then hit my family farm in Waseca co. We saw 15 hen and five roosters all day. We did not hit any thing. I let my 11 year old son take the first shot. The birds did not hold very well. Well all three of us had fun as you can see from the picuter they both had on there faces.

pahaarstad
    metro

I took my son and my dog out on Saturday.(both newbies). We where in the Litchfield area on the WPA’s had then hit my family farm in Waseca co. We saw 15 hen and five roosters all day. We did not hit any thing. I let my 11 year old son take the first shot. The birds did not hold very well. Well all three of us had fun as you can see from the picuter they both had on there faces.

pahaarstad
    metro

What area did you hunt?

pahaarstad
    metro

What area did you hunt?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Cool, glad to see your dog doing well. I’m guesing things are ok with him?? Yes it looks like they had a good time indeed.

Quote:

The birds did not hold very well.

Your telling me!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Cool, glad to see your dog doing well. I’m guesing things are ok with him?? Yes it looks like they had a good time indeed.

Quote:

The birds did not hold very well.

Your telling me!

pahaarstad
    metro

the med are working well. I think we got it in time. We hunted all day and he did not want to stop. On Sunday all three of us just laied around the house and watching Football. Guest we hunted too hard. It was fun watching the both of them on there first real hunt there is always next weekend.

Now if we can only get the bird to hold and not run so much mybe we could get one

pahaarstad
    metro

the med are working well. I think we got it in time. We hunted all day and he did not want to stop. On Sunday all three of us just laied around the house and watching Football. Guest we hunted too hard. It was fun watching the both of them on there first real hunt there is always next weekend.

Now if we can only get the bird to hold and not run so much mybe we could get one

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Good to hear.

We hunted down by Mankato

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Good to hear.

We hunted down by Mankato

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

We did well out by montivideo!
    6 of us got 21 in two days.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

We did well out by montivideo!
    6 of us got 21 in two days.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Now that my lab “Teal” is 14.5 years old (96 in dog years!) I am not an active pheasant hunter till’ she passes and a new pooch takes her place. Just can’t do it while I know she is at home…
    Anyways I had some buddies (7 guys…) in the Marshall area hunting all WMA’s and got 14 by noon on Saturday and 14 by 1pm on Sunday. Good times are here now! Good luck… RR

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

C’mon only 4 guys got out this weekend????

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

spence
    southern mn

Went out Sat. just me and the pooch. Hit the first bird up, winged it and he scrambled under a cow fence into some private land, bird gone. Second, and only other rooster we saw, got up 10 ft. in front of me and my justification was that it was just too easy of a shot , missed. Crappy weather Sunday lead to a day of football on the couch.

spence
    southern mn

Went out Sat. just me and the pooch. Hit the first bird up, winged it and he scrambled under a cow fence into some private land, bird gone. Second, and only other rooster we saw, got up 10 ft. in front of me and my justification was that it was just too easy of a shot , missed. Crappy weather Sunday lead to a day of football on the couch.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Im headin out this weekend Rip…Ill report when I get back…Too many people out on opener..Jay

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Im headin out this weekend Rip…Ill report when I get back…Too many people out on opener..Jay

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Good to hear you got out Spence. Rvrat sounds good. I will be back down by Mankato at least one day this weekend, perhaps 2.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Good to hear you got out Spence. Rvrat sounds good. I will be back down by Mankato at least one day this weekend, perhaps 2.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I will be back down by Mankato at least one day this weekend, perhaps 2.

Don’t bother, I am on vacation all week so by the time I am done down there

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I will be back down by Mankato at least one day this weekend, perhaps 2.

Don’t bother, I am on vacation all week so by the time I am done down there

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Our birds where in the trees and very jumpy. We had a great evening hunt as the birds that weren’t in the trees were in the crops and looking for roosting spots.
    Never make it out on Sunday as the better half had me going the her sisters house.
    Oh well. Just one more trip to her families house and I have fulled my quota.
    I am out to buy a new camera and then I am blasting some more birds tonight.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Our birds where in the trees and very jumpy. We had a great evening hunt as the birds that weren’t in the trees were in the crops and looking for roosting spots.
    Never make it out on Sunday as the better half had me going the her sisters house.
    Oh well. Just one more trip to her families house and I have fulled my quota.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

Settle down! I’m a little slow. We hunted the Swift Falls area and did not see the usual number of birds. I think the main factor is the lack of food in the area to hold the birds. The food plots never really took off this year and last year’s plots are picked clean. This area was dry all summer, but its very wet now. We had a group of 14 this year so we split up. Our group of 4 downed 5 roosters on Saturday. I had my two by 11. I should have had one 15 minutes into the season when my dog Jazzi flushed a mature rooster a few feet away from me, but yours truly had a tough time with the safety and never got a shot off. Although my dog made a couple nice retrieves Saturday, she really didn’t hunt well and I was pretty disappointed.

Sunday we were greeted with a light mist. We decided to hunt as a big group and push some corn and nearby grass on an adjacent farm. I don’t know who put crack in my Jazzi’s wheaties, but she was a whole different animal. She went crazy in the corn and put up a whole bunch of birds. I never could get a shot off because I didn’t know exactly where the posters were. My Dad dropped his first bird of the season and after finding my way out of the corn I found out that Jazzi flushed the bird and made the retrieve when the bird dropped deep in a cattail slough. I was pretty proud to say the least. I managed one more bird before we called it quits at noon. The final tally for 8 guys, 3 second year kids, and a couple old posters was 18 birds. I’ll get a picture up later.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

Settle down! I’m a little slow. We hunted the Swift Falls area and did not see the usual number of birds. I think the main factor is the lack of food in the area to hold the birds. The food plots never really took off this year and last year’s plots are picked clean. This area was dry all summer, but its very wet now. We had a group of 14 this year so we split up. Our group of 4 downed 5 roosters on Saturday. I had my two by 11. I should have had one 15 minutes into the season when my dog Jazzi flushed a mature rooster a few feet away from me, but yours truly had a tough time with the safety and never got a shot off. Although my dog made a couple nice retrieves Saturday, she really didn’t hunt well and I was pretty disappointed.

Sunday we were greeted with a light mist. We decided to hunt as a big group and push some corn and nearby grass on an adjacent farm. I don’t know who put crack in my Jazzi’s wheaties, but she was a whole different animal. She went crazy in the corn and put up a whole bunch of birds. I never could get a shot off because I didn’t know exactly where the posters were. My Dad dropped his first bird of the season and after finding my way out of the corn I found out that Jazzi flushed the bird and made the retrieve when the bird dropped deep in a cattail slough. I was pretty proud to say the least. I managed one more bird before we called it quits at noon. The final tally for 8 guys, 3 second year kids, and a couple old posters was 18 birds. I’ll get a picture up later.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

We are blasting birds where?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

We are blasting birds where?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.