Upgrading the server this weekend.

• Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

Specifically, upgrading PHP. I expect there to be problems with the current code base but hopefully I got everything covered when we jumped to PHP 7.4 previously. )

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have no idea what you’re talking about, but we’re all behind you all the way!

SR

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

What Steve said.x2

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Thank you for the behind the scenes work keeping this place going.

If you’re ever down around Lake City/Wabasha I’d love to buy you a beer or try to get you on some fish. Without you this place would’ve died the second James moved on.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

James is still around but it would probably help if there were 8 days in a week. lol

I got PHP upgraded for the staging site and ironed out a few issues. I still need to compile the module I used to pinpoint the database problems we were running into a while back. We’ve been doing really well for uptime since but I would still like to have the capability to pinpoint any future problems that may come up. )

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ll echo what others have said…..thanks for sticking with us and doing what you do. My biggest issue is I went from almost never having to log in to now it’s sometimes multiple times a day. No change on what I do on my end. But if thats the worse issue I consider it nothing to be concerned with.

Thanks again, also to James for not pulling the plug if you are around.

CaptainMusky

Thanks Dave! So many great people here depend on this site for entertainment and info.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

My biggest issue is I went from almost never having to log in to now it’s sometimes multiple times a day.

I’ll see what I can do about this. This wordpress functionality hasn’t changed any in quite a long time, that I am aware of.

I was working on a more permanent way to recognize members and automatically log them in if they are not already. The code is just commented out at the moment. What it will do is store a token in your browser’s local storage. This is not a cookie so doesn’t have an expiration date tied to it. Then when you visit a page are you are not logged in, the page will try and authenticate you with that token. If successful then the page would be reloaded to reflect your login status.

I’ll work on finishing this but it may be a next weekend task. lol

I sort of remember needing to decide on how I wanted to handle multiple browsers. (computer, phone, work computer…)

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    My biggest issue is I went from almost never having to log in to now it’s sometimes multiple times a day.

I’ll see what I can do about this. This wordpress functionality hasn’t changed any in quite a long time, that I am aware of.

I was working on a more permanent way to recognize members and automatically log them in if they are not already. The code is just commented out at the moment. What it will do is store a token in your browser’s local storage. This is not a cookie so doesn’t have an expiration date tied to it. Then when you visit a page are you are not logged in, the page will try and authenticate you with that token. If successful then the page would be reloaded to reflect your login status.

I’ll work on finishing this but it may be a next weekend task. lol

I sort of remember needing to decide on how I wanted to handle multiple browsers. (computer, phone, work computer…)

Thanks for all your support keeping things running. Will this change, or any other planned changes, make the website play nicer with a VPN? Using Nord and a while back the site was only unhappy with the Chicago server. Now I have to pause my vpn on any server to be able to access IDO.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Another Thank You Dave!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Thanks Dave.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Thanks Dave! bow

-J.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I echo the rest. Thanks! woot waytogo

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Thanks Dave. Good info, yucks and ribbing on this forum.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

Thanks everyone. )

Will this change, or any other planned changes, make the website play nicer with a VPN?

That’s a hard one. Spammers and scammers use the same VPNs. Rather than play whack-a-mole with them and the VPN we just take out the VPN. It’s not as bad as it used to be but this is probably because a lot of hosting and vpn ASNs are blocked now.

There was a period of time where there would be 30+ spammer accounts registering per day. Now it’s maybe 5 a week that actually make it past the checks we have in place and those are probably humans.

I’m not sure what other sites do for spammer management but we’re putting in a sizable effort here. lol

Reef W

Using Nord and a while back the site was only unhappy with the Chicago server. Now I have to pause my vpn on any server to be able to access IDO.

If you use the browser extension, instead of app, you can configure split tunneling and bypass specified websites. The browser extension only applies to traffic from your browser though, not all traffic.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.