Ulterra issue on water

• acarroline

Having an issue with my ulterra. It is currently deployed and getting slowly limped into the dock with my big motor. Went out to troll this evening, hit auto deploy and it started to deploy then stopped as the cord was Wrapped up on a rod holder. Cleared the obstruction and re-deployed. Started trolling and after about 5 mins all power was off.

My guess is a power issue, obviously, of some sort. Two new grp31 batteries, all batteries on the charger cord all night, ran the boat today but just pulling the tube, no trolling motor. Ran it the last few days and no issue with the trolling motor.

Plan to put it on the charger tonight. Connections are clean and tight. Maybe its the charger bank?

Thoughts?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’ve had the same thing happen a few times and I follow this procedure to fix it.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’ve run 3 boats with Ulterras and overall they have worked great. There has only been one issue I couldn’t resolve with watching a YouTube video and making a quick fix. The issue I couldn’t resolve was a result of one of my 3 batteries going bad, so not an issue with the Ulterra. There are many great resources on YouTube.

acarroline

Back at dock. Batteries are showing “charging” but I’m not getting the ulterra to power on. Maybe just ran the batteries dead…somehow?

acarroline

Check the fuses on the batteries.

Yep, did that, both fuses were good. Minnkota bank charger showed “charging” when i got back and plugged it in, then went to blinking (absorption mode?), which i read means 75% or more charge. If that is the case then the batteries couldnt have been dead as it changed to that after about 5 mins.

acarroline

I’ve had the same thing happen a few times and I follow this procedure to fix it.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”How to reset Ulterra Trim and Stow | Minn Kota | The Technological Angler” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/fjvVcPJb9eg?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share” referrerpolicy=”strict-origin-when-cross-origin” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

I can’t get any power to do a reset and/or recalibrate.

Tom schmitt

My guess is when it wrapped the cords on the rod holder it pulled somethig loose.

acarroline

My guess is when it wrapped the cords on the rod holder it pulled somethig loose.

I thought about that but it ran for 5 mins after that. Could be though.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Charged all night, no change

Did you do the reset mentioned by the Tech Angler?

This spring we had a snow event while fishing Sturgeon on the Rainy, and froze up the tilt bracket causing it to break. I was able to find a part in International Falls and replace the part. This whole process messed up the brains of the Ulterra. I had to mess around with it for about 30 minutes, trying the Hard Reset a few times, playing with the remote, ect. Then it finally came to and has been working since. I’m guessing this is where you’re at.

So you’re pressing the power button, and you hear nothing? Normally you can hear a relay activate when pushing the power button. You’re positive you have power at the motor or receptacle? You could have messed up the board. Does your remote see a motor when you push the power button?

acarroline

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>acarroline wrote:</div>
    Charged all night, no change

Did you do the reset mentioned by the Tech Angler?

This spring we had a snow event while fishing Sturgeon on the Rainy, and froze up the tilt bracket causing it to break. I was able to find a part in International Falls and replace the part. This whole process messed up the brains of the Ulterra. I had to mess around with it for about 30 minutes, trying the Hard Reset a few times, playing with the remote, ect. Then it finally came to and has been working since. I’m guessing this is where you’re at.

So you’re pressing the power button, and you hear nothing? Normally you can hear a relay activate when pushing the power button. You’re positive you have power at the motor or receptacle? You could have messed up the board. Does your remote see a motor when you push the power button?

Can’t do a reset without power. Going to get a test light and track power. Remote does not recognize/find the motor.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dumb question but is there a inline fuse that blew ?

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Can’t do a reset without power. Going to get a test light and track power. Remote does not recognize/find the motor.

Sorry, I see you mentioned that already.

I would pull the head off and test for power there. Or pull the panels off the side and test for power after the board. Then track backwards, assuming you have already confirmed power to the receptacle.

acarroline

GOT IT!!! Thank you, all, for the timeliness and thoughts. Very appreciated. I’m not great with these things but with help from many got things going.

The marine SAE Type B breaker was tripped with a loose connection from battery 2 the likely culprit. Tightened the connection, reset the breaker…and back in business. Fingers crossed.

Thank you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

GOT IT!!! Thank you, all, for the timeliness and thoughts. Very appreciated. I’m not great with these things but with help from many got things going.

The marine SAE Type B breaker was tripped with a loose connection from battery 2 the likely culprit. Tightened the connection, reset the breaker…and back in business. Fingers crossed.

Thank you.

Your welcome buddy. I was really thinking this was the case. Glad I asked

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Good to hear the device which sole purpose is to protect downstream did exactly what it was intended to do.

acarroline

Good to hear the device which sole purpose is to protect downstream did exactly what it was intended to do.

Agreed. Like I admitted, i’m not real experienced with these situations so the guidance and expertise from those that are is really appreciated. I learned a great deal.

Also ordered a multimeter for the boat :). Thank you.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.