UL Rippin Rap

• dld24

Those of you that use these for walleyes, do you upsize that back hook??

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Those of you that use these for walleyes, do you upsize that back hook??

No, I don’t. Almost all fish are hooked on the front hook. If you add a larger, heavier hook to the rear you risk messing up the action. Personally I’ve had zero issues with hook up percentage so I’ve left that rear hook alone.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

JMO. Leave it alone. I don’t recall ever missing a bite using these. This is my number one go to bait.

DHD

Does anyone ever dress the front treble with a minnow head, or just fish them as is? I had good luck fishing these for crappie open water this spring, looking to try them more under the ice.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Does anyone ever dress the front treble with a minnow head, or just fish them as is? I had good luck fishing these for crappie open water this spring, looking to try them more under the ice.

I’ve tried it but it really messes up the action. In my opinion if the fish are demanding livebait you’d likely be more successful fishing a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow head.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

What James said. I have noticed that I sometimes can catch crappie that acted neutral to other presentations with the UL Rap-sometimes it seems to just urine them off. If they’re already feeding aggressively, well…
    More than once last year fish that acted indifferent to other presentations would just crush a rippin rap jiggled over their heads. It’s a blast when they do that!

I know I should be more versatile, but a UL Rippin Rap on one rod and a Slender Spoon on another is usually a winning ticket for under ice crappie for me…I rarely feel the need to change. Man I love those two baits for crappie and walleye!

monstermatt
    Minnesota

I’ve had the best luck with the pink uv for crappies.

Brennon Nielson

James, didnt you say on one episode that you like to replace the back hook with a sure set treble??

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

What’s the color preference for crappies

Glow yellow perch and green UV tiger are my favorites for most of the water I fish. For really dark waters, I’ll use the UV pink or orange tiger occasionally(but not always).

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James, didnt you say on one episode that you like to replace the back hook with a sure set treble??

The OP was asking about using the RR for walleye.

I did swap out the rear one time during a laker shoot but it isn’t necessary. Since that one experiment I’ve fished stock hooks and don’t see any reason to swap the stock hooks for anything larger.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What’s the color preference for crappies

Pink UV and Glow Yellow Perch are my favorites for crappie.

DHD

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DHD wrote:</div>

I’ve tried it but it really messes up the action. In my opinion if the fish are demanding livebait you’d likely be more successful fishing a jigging spoon tipped with a minnow head.

Thanks for the response James. I thought that might be the case. If they are demanding live bait I have also found a live tail hooked minnow on a UV buckshot spoon deadsticked seems to do pretty well. I figure let the minnow make the bait rattle.

Timo i

This topic burns me up. . .I live in Finland and they don’t sell rippin raps here period.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

This topic burns me up. . .I live in Finland and they don’t sell rippin raps here period.

There are many on-line retailers that ship internationally

Nick roth

I had my best outing to upper red lake last year using the pink uv, I did tip the front hook with a minnow head when things slowed down or if I had a couple of lookers. Seemed to do the trick for me. I am going to try replacing the front treble hook with a VMC glow treble hook this year (same size).

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve actually upsized both hooks and had great success. Better than the originals? Probably not.

The main reason for doing so was mainly the fact that the hooks on the RR are kinda cheap and tend to break. Maybe because of the light wire, I’m not really sure. I only upsized because it was what I already had.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Heck….Send me a PM with your address and I’ll send as many as you want,with proper payment of course grin

SW Eyes

The Pink UV ULRR is one of my favorite hard water lures of all-time. Might be one of the most successful I use in recent memory, outside of the pink rattlin flyer, or a dead-stick with a pink gamkatsu with chartreuse beads.

As you can tell, I fish dark water, and have become extremely confident in pink (for good reason).

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Send me a shipping address and I’ll send yout a care package. My email address is [email protected] It isn’t like I’m flush with rippin raps or anything but I’m happy to share a few. ;)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘UL Rippin Rap’ is closed to new replies.