Twisted line

• Jake Jirik

Hey guys it’s my second year Ice fishing and last weekend we were sight fishing on a lake that had great water clarity. I noticed when I was working fish my jig would spin. When fish would come up to the jig, if it was spinning, many times they would swim away. I am wondering what the best solution to this is. Different line? Do online reels help to reduce line spin? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

first question is what line are you using? I’ve noticed its worse with larger diameter line. I use 2lb suffix ice magic on my panfish setups. Inline reels helps a little, but I think most line twist comes from a lure falling. One thing I have done before is put a very small barrel swivel about 12″ above my jig, like I would when walleye fishing.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The swivel will help as suggested.

Try closing the bail by hand instead of turning the handle if you are using a spinning reel.

If you are sight fishing, check to see if your jigging is causing the jig to turn enough to twist the line. Some jig/plastic combos just aren’t good company on a fish line when fished straight up and down.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I have heard than when reeling in a fish, IF the drag is actively pulling line off the spool, do NOT continue to reel. That will introduce twist as well. Let the fish make its run and when the drag is no longer peeling out, then resume reeling.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Righto on the reeling while the drag is going out.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Something else that is often forgotten is that the line on the packaging spool has memory for that spool. It doesn’t matter what method you use to put the line on your reel, some of that memory is going to go on with the line. I have a 3″ square on buckskin that I use when I spool the line by pinching the line between the folded halve of the leather, smooth side to the line. Set the drag fairly tight and then reel the line on while you pinch.

I always carried another square of the same buckskin in my rod bag out on the ice and if twist started to show up, my fishing stopped long enough to walk the first 50 yards of line off the reel without a jig on the tag end and I’d re-spool using the leather.

Today’s monos and fluoros have one bad characteristic, that being that the more refined and complex they become in formulation and chemical make-up, the more they want to mis-behave….as in twisting. Memory is right on the heels of twisting. You do need to learn to work with the issues if you want to fish well.

Rick Thelin

I also use 2# Suffix ice magic for panfish. Try putting the line between your thumb and a finger and pull it from the jig to about 6 feet up from the jig. Do this 2 or 3 times. Have not tried this on heavier line yet, but works for 2#. The idea is that this heats the line and relaxes it removing twist.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.