Twins 2024 Thread

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

Can someone check in on Dutchboy? Him and some in the media might be the only ones taking this poorly… rotflol

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Unless you’re content watching a team that will NEVER actually contend for a World Series selling the team is good news. I’d hate for the Twins to leave, but the current state of affairs is actually worse.

Ripjiggen

So what if the Pohlads pull the Pohlads and say well we were asking for 2 billion and the best offer is 1.5 billion. Sorry we tried…

Trust me I think it’s great news. I am just not going to get too excited until they actually sell the team.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Unless you’re content watching a team that will NEVER actually contend for a World Series selling the team is good news. I’d hate for the Twins to leave, but the current state of affairs is actually worse.

Right. Other than moving the team, I can see no reason why this is anything but a good thing.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Can someone check in on Dutchboy? Him and some in the media might be the only ones taking this poorly… rotflol

haven’t heard from Dutch in some time on here. he good? did he get another timeout?

Brittman

Pohlads have two world series rings. That monkey came of their back within a decade of ownership.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Pohlads have two world series rings. That monkey came of their back within a decade of ownership.

Those were Calvin Griffith’s

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Did hell freeze over?? If yes, Vikes should win the Super Bowl this year too!! lol

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8864.jpg

Brittman

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brittman wrote:</div>

Those were Calvin Griffith’s

If you are going to correct someone how about being right ?

Not only did Carl Pohlad own the Twins he also hired Andy McPhail (GM) who hired Tom Kelly (head coach). McPhail and Kelly were rather inexperienced but did not let that deter them from winning the WS together – twice.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Yes, but the core players were in place.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I read an article in the Strib about the Pohlad history, how have I never seen that Carl was an infantryman in WWII and received three purple hearts? I give my utmost respect for that, wow.

Owning a baseball team, though, I still maintain, eff that family.

Hank Simmons

Hopefully the new owners do not try to move the team. I respect the Pohlads for trying to keep them in Minnesota. Besides that, they didn’t spend enough money to field a championship team in the 21st century. Our best chance was 2023 and we never built off of it.

slough

Hopefully the new owners do not try to move the team. I respect the Pohlads for trying to keep them in Minnesota. Besides that, they didn’t spend enough money to field a championship team in the 21st century. Our best chance was 2023 and we never built off of it.

Didn’t Carl sort of go along with the idea of contracting the team about 20 years ago?

Dan
    Southeast MN

He volunteered them for contraction. In the late 90’s Carl tried to sell them to a guy who would’ve moved them to Charlotte. That would’ve happened except a court ruled that the lease signed with the Metrodome would still have to be paid for the duration of the contract the Twins signed so the sale fell through.

A few years later Carl volunteered the Twins for contraction. This would’ve meant the Twins simply ceased to be a team; Carl would’ve profited $150 million from that.

They very much tried to get rid of the team. Also consider this: those two examples of “hey we sort of like baseball but we like our profit much more” happen and less than 10 years later they’re requesting/demanding/begging the public for more money. They go from 1992 until 2000 being one of the worst teams in all of pro sports, yet they want a new stadium. They say the nice new stadium will generate more revenue, which they’ll in turn use to spend more on free agency, and that’s what’s been holding them back.

And then I present to you….the history of the Twins since Target Field opened…and it didn’t really go as they claimed it would. In fact, I still think the Pohlads are responsible for a significant percentage of some of the hate Joe Mauer gets. Maur signed for decent “star” money and then the Pohlands didn’t sign many others because they already had one large-ish contract. If I had a dollar for every time I heard Minnesotans criticize Mauer, saying “the Twins can’t do anything else because of his contract….” In a sport with no salary cap…..

One of the worst ownership groups in all of pro sports.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

He volunteered them for contraction. In the late 90’s Carl tried to sell them to a guy who would’ve moved them to Charlotte. That would’ve happened except a court ruled that the lease signed with the Metrodome would still have to be paid for the duration of the contract the Twins signed so the sale fell through.

A few years later Carl volunteered the Twins for contraction. This would’ve meant the Twins simply ceased to be a team; Carl would’ve profited $150 million from that.

They very much tried to get rid of the team. Also consider this: those two examples of “hey we sort of like baseball but we like our profit much more” happen and less than 10 years later they’re requesting/demanding/begging the public for more money. They go from 1992 until 2000 being one of the worst teams in all of pro sports, yet they want a new stadium. They say the nice new stadium will generate more revenue, which they’ll in turn use to spend more on free agency, and that’s what’s been holding them back.

And then I present to you….the history of the Twins since Target Field opened…and it didn’t really go as they claimed it would. In fact, I still think the Pohlads are responsible for a significant percentage of some of the hate Joe Mauer gets. Maur signed for decent “star” money and then the Pohlands didn’t sign many others because they already had one large-ish contract. If I had a dollar for every time I heard Minnesotans criticize Mauer, saying “the Twins can’t do anything else because of his contract….” In a sport with no salary cap…..

One of the worst ownership groups in all of pro sports.

PREACH MY BROTHA!!!! PREACH!!!!

JEREMY
    BP

Hopefully they sell them ASAP or you know the payroll roll will really be decimated this off season.

slough

Certainly no guarantee that the new owners will spend more. Nor does it guarantee success – the Rockies, Mariners, Dbacks, White Sox and Angels are routinely ahead of us on spending. Can’t imagine no matter who buys the team that we’ll ever (unless baseball adopts some sort of salary cap, which is unlikely) approach being a top 10 payroll that just spends its way out of slumps.

All that aside, certainly not sad to see the Pohlads go.

CaptainMusky

Hopefully they sell them ASAP or you know the payroll roll will really be decimated this off season.

Dead on. It could be regardless, but at least there would be hope. We know the Pohlads arent going to stick more money in the team to drive the price even higher.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Can someone check in on Dutchboy? Him and some in the media might be the only ones taking this poorly…

rotflol rumors have it Dutchy’s been extremely busy getting smoke and mirrors a big new payday!! devil rotflol

Viewing 20 posts - 781 through 800 (of 800 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.