Twins 2024 Thread

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

We certainly have seen enough bad ownership in town. The Pohlads and Taylors come to mind. Oh and dont get me started on Norm Green but that was decades ago. The Wilfs seem like good owners as does Leipold for the Wild.

Nailed it. Dutch acts like his pension is dependent on defending the Silver Spoon Pohlad Kids/Grandkids for some reason I’ll never understand.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Perhaps you should run your business exactly the way you want the Pohlads to run theirs. Go out and buy a fully decked would Vexus save a buck and get a 350 instead of a 400 hp motor. Buy yourself a Ford F350 Lariat with the Powerstroke and 4 x 4 to pull it. Then to round out the package go by 4 or 5 St. Croix high end rods. When all your clients drop you because you jacked your rates and go elsewhere come back and ask me what happened.

For the 2000th time, the Pohlads are business people. Suggesting, as your always do, that it’s all legacy money and they should just open the checkbook is what makes no sense to me. But hey, your bitching about them since the mid 80’s has forced them to see the light right? coffee

CaptainMusky

Well casting all MN Pro SPorts owners with the same light since the 70’s as you have done hasnt done anything either has it? At least 2 franchises actually will do what it takes to invest unlike the Twins or WOlves. Vikings have an amazing new practice facility, spend money on free agents Wild are in the same boat. We dont even get dollar dogs from the Twins anymore!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They have 2 World Series titles. Now you can reply with yes but that was 30+ years ago. And I’ll reply…..Your point? The Wolves, Vikings & Wild have exactly 0 combined.

I can promise you the Wilfs and Taylor and Leipold aren’t working for nothing anymore than the Pohlads are.

Ripjiggen

It was sarcasm, A-Fraud will show Minnesota sports fans what bad ownership looks like. When he cares about anything but himself or what he can get it will be the first time.

Don’t the Pohlads already do that.
    Wasnt Falvey hired from Cleveland who always developed good pitching? One of the reason he was hired in the first place. Then selling them off and retooling the staff.
    Hmmm

Anywho, I doubt may people even care that much as they have pretty much lost every casual fan by not being on TV.

CaptainMusky

The Pohlads to my knowledge were owners for what 3 years and won the first world series? That team was built by savvy drafting before they took over.

Ripjiggen

They bought them in 84 for 44 million and are now worth 1.46 billion.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

In 2005, New Jersey real estate developer Zygi Wilf and five partners purchased the Minnesota Vikings from Red McCombs for $600 million. As of August 2023, Forbes estimates the franchise’s value at $4.65 billion, which is 18% higher than in 2022 and more than four times the price Wilf paid.

Want me to find the Wolves and Wild for you also?

Ripjiggen

In 2005, New Jersey real estate developer Zygi Wilf and five partners purchased the Minnesota Vikings from Red McCombs for $600 million. As of August 2023, Forbes estimates the franchise’s value at $4.65 billion, which is 18% higher than in 2022 and more than four times the price Wilf paid.

Want me to find the Wolves and Wild for you also?

What’s your point? I was just stating they bought them in 84.

If the twins didn’t resign Correa which basically fell to them after two teams said yeah no way. They would be sitting bottom 2 in MLB payroll after coming off their first playoff series win in decades.

Not sure why you would compare them to the Wilfs who spend to the max every year but go on.

CaptainMusky

Not sure why you would compare them to the Wilfs who spend to the max every year but go on.

Yeah, that is pretty dang rich. MLB is really the only pro sports without a Cap, yet we are a middling team every year with billionaire owners. The other teams in town at least spend to the max they can, heck Taylor had a open his checkbook for the luxury tax last year.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Exactly, they have no salary cap. And if the Vikings didn’t I’m guessing you believe the Wilfs would blow salary structure right out of the water.

So if Taylor paid into the luxury tax (I’ll need to take your word for it) what did all that high power salary buy them? How many NBA titles?

How many Super Bowl titles did Cousins NFL RECORD guaranteed contract buy them? How many will Jeffersons get them?

How many Stanley Cups did the Parise & Suter contracts get the Wild?

The answer is 0. Or 2 less than the Twins have World Series titles. Spending for the sake of spending will get you nothing. However as the Vikings, Wolves & Wild have shown spending will get you butts in the seats. Getting butts in the seats only gets you ripped as the Wild, Wolves, Vikings threads proves here on IDO.

The Twins could field a team as expensive as the Dodgers and the same few guys will rip them for getting the wrong guys.

What all 4 teams have in common is the ownership are filthy rich and they ALL ARE MAKING RECORD PROFITS. If anybody thinks the Wilfs are in this for shits & giggles Red McCombs has a car to sell you.

CaptainMusky

Well honestly they are definitely in it to run a business, but I will tell you one thing, you dont see the Pohlads congratulating their players after every victory, but you do see the Wilfs in there. They are fanboys for sure, they love the competition and are heavily invested.

Ripjiggen

So I would put that on the GM GM’s then and not the owners not spending. whistling
    Which is different than the Twins.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well honestly they are definitely in it to run a business, but I will tell you one thing, you dont see the Pohlads congratulating their players after every victory, but you do see the Wilfs in there. They are fanboys for sure, they love the competition and are heavily invested.

I understand your point but they aren’t any more or less invested then the other 3 owners. It’s 4 different sports all operating differently.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They have 2 World Series titles.

“They” don’t have 2 World Series Titles, Carl Pohlad did. He died in 2009 before Target Field opened. The same Target Field that the public funded so the hometown 9 could “compete”. Which “compete” to the trust fund Pohlad babies, apparently meant just the Central Division because it took them 14 years of the new stadium/revenue in order to win one playoff series. Which is the worst of all 4 sports teams since 2010 (TWolves won 2 this year, Wild won 2 playoff series, and Vikes twice as well).

JEREMY
    BP

Cant really even have Taylor in the mix with the Pohlads hes never seemed shy to spend money. Right now Wolves have the 2nd highest payroll in the NBA and Trading up for that Dillingham kid apparently bumped their luxury tax up to about 51 million. 2nd only to the Suns.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

jester keep grinding. Those Pohlad kids are taking your criticism to heart.

Just curious….if your company does extremely extremely well and you pass it down to the kids, do you think it wise for them to operate as you did or as the way the competition you crushed to get to the top? Just wondering how you would have the Pohlad boys urine daddy’s money away.

Ripjiggen

So investing money on starting pitching is urinating money away for a baseball team.

Well hell may as well just contract the team then. whistling

eyeguy507
    SE MN

The Pohlads are the only MN owners who have a self imposed cap. I don’t really care how much they spend because it doesn’t seem to matter in MLB. I wish they would spend it on some pitching development but that is for another argument.

All the other owners seem to have no problem spending to the max because there is a salary cap. Taylor is also paying like 50 million for going into the second apron of luxury tax. Probably feels obligated since pulling the sale of the team after A-Fraud’s moves helped raise the value of the Wolves into the billions.

CaptainMusky

I guess I don’t get the hate for ARod. Yeah he was a Yankee but he seemed like a decent dude to me unless I missed something. Jeter was the one passing out gift baskets for all the sluts he slept with wasn’t he?

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Maybe the twins will pickup the fat kid.
    He was DFA’ed today

Brad Dimond

I guess I don’t get the hate for ARod. Yeah he was a Yankee but he seemed like a decent dude to me unless I missed something. Jeter was the one passing out gift baskets for all the sluts he slept with wasn’t he?
    Qu

Cheater – he juiced. Jeter liked attractive women (can’t blame him) but he didn’t cheat on the field.

CaptainMusky

There were more players that cheated than ARod to throw all this hate to him seems unfounded to me. I mean babe Ruth juiced on hot dogs and beer is that any better? Bonds is another story…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

ARod admitted to taking PED’s when he was playing for the Texas Rangers. I think this was during the Clemens, McGuire, and Bonds era when everyone was juicing after Jose Canseco gave them his dealer hookup.

When he played with Jeter for the Yankees years later, he was not on roids anymore because they were actively checking players for it. Not that it makes it any better though.

Marnie Gellner is doing the broadcast tonight on Ballys.

Ripjiggen

Cheater – he juiced. Jeter liked attractive women (can’t blame him) but he didn’t cheat on the field.

Every player was from that era. I am willing to bet most twins players were too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

jester keep grinding. Those Pohlad kids are taking your criticism to heart.

Just curious….if your company does extremely extremely well and you pass it down to the kids, do you think it wise for them to operate as you did or as the way the competition you crushed to get to the top? Just wondering how you would have the Pohlad boys urine daddy’s money away.

I’m not worried about the Pohlads, their lack of investment in their product will come home to roost before the current kid running things retires. Baseball is dead, they just don’t realize it yet. No one watches it, and more importantly kids don’t play it or even know who plays for the hometown team anymore. Yet every kid griddy’s and owns gloves/shirts etc of the Vikings and Jefferson. 24 kids in my 6 year olds little league, over 100 in spring flag football. The Pohlad grandkid will watch the Golden Goose shrivel up and die.

I think as a business person it’s important to invest in your product and look to the future, not resign with Ballys for an extra utility players salary while only 10% of the state can watch you. So basically any kid under 10 hasn’t been able to watch the Twins with any regularity for 5 years (Ballys BS and Covid season)

I think if you promise an effort to compete in exchange for a few hundred million of taxpayers money, you should at the very least feign an attempt at competing. Not cut payroll after your best season in 14 years at said stadium. I love baseball and used to love the Twins, but until they get with the times they are only worth my online biatching.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Do we have anymore “Brooks Lee’s” just sitting over in St Paul waiting to play? good lord that kid is good…

JEREMY
    BP

Marnie Gellner is doing the broadcast tonight on Ballys

I like Marnie she always seems to do a good job. She struggled a bit last night but Morneau ran his mouth enough to make up for it. Alot more dead time to kill during a baseball broadcast then when she called a wolves game. Think she will be better today.

JEREMY
    BP

Who was the 3rd person was it Denard Span? Kinda sounded like Latroy Hawkins but dont think it was.

Viewing 30 posts - 481 through 510 (of 683 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.