Twins 2024 Thread

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Unlike the Wild, Timberwolves & Vikings they can at least look back to the glory days or world championships. Was it a long time ago? Yes. But did it happen? Yes, twice in fact. Does any of your other teams have a championship of any kind? No, no they don’t. Not individually or combined.

BTW, who do you think makes more money in a year from their sport the Wilfs or Pohlads, maybe Glen Taylor?

JoeMX1825
    MN

BTW, who do you think makes more money in a year from their sport the Wilfs or Pohlads, maybe Glen Taylor?

Wilfs and it’s not even close…and it will get even more ridiculous when the new TV deals are signed…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

So where’s the yearly bash of the Vikings ownership? They don’t spend 1 dollar more than required by their league. They stuck their hand out and took millions in stadium money.

I just find the rip on the Pohlads as being unique sports owners to be funny.

JoeMX1825
    MN

So where’s the yearly bash of the Vikings ownership? They don’t spend 1 dollar more than required by their league.

Huh? The Vikings spend to the Salary cap limit every year, there’s also the “dead money” hit that reduces what they can spend, that’s just due to the salary gymnastics of kicking the can down the road and overspending during runs…and name a franchise that didn’t hold out their hand for public stadium money…why pay when you can threaten to leave and get it paid for you…The Twins/MLB friggin threatened contraction to get Target Field…

and i’m not saying the Twins/Pohlad’s are the only team to basically cash checks, it’s a HUGE problem in MLB…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That is not really an applicable metric since the NFL is king and makes far more than the other leagues. And as stated the Wilfs invest in the team (facilities and payroll up to the salary cap) and the community with Vikings Lakes in Eagan and development around US Bank downtown. What do the Pohlads do that’s remotely similar? I drove by their tax subsidized soccer stadium yesterday, and it looked like zombie land.

Plus since baseball doesn’t have a salary cap, and they “needed a new stadium to compete” they have made no attempt to live up to their word. No one is asking them to lose money, or break even like Mike Ilitch’s Tigers did when making the World Series in 06/12, just to spend commensurate with their increased league and local revenue. Heck even lately all people ask is when you have a young team that had some playoff success, to invest in improving them. And they tucked tail. Anyone defending the Pohlads blow my mind, especially you Dutch who is critical of everything else. BTW CARL POHLAD was the owner for the World Series’, not any of the current silver spoon children/grandchildren, and he’s been dead for 15 years.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You are correct. There is no comparison between the NFL and MLB. Yet the Wilfs still took many millions for their stadium. Tax financing for the projects around the stadium and Eagan. The Vikings stadium cost tax payers much more than Target Field. Wilf rarely wins the division, never a NFC title…..where is your problem with the Vikings?

I defend the Pohlads only because people seem to think they operate differently than the other teams and owners in town. They don’t do anything different than Wilf, Taylor, and the soccer guy from Medtronics. They all are a for profit business. You as a voter made the decision to subsidize all these stadiums. You voted the guys into office that spent billions on these stadiums. All Polhad did was buy the team from Griffith and keep it in Minnesota. Win 2 World Series and ran a pretty clean organization.

You grind on the Twins because you have a hard on for the kids. You couldn’t care less about how the Twins do on the field. Much like I could care less what the Wolves do or more correctly what they have never done.

If the Twins spent 1/2 billion on players you would still whine about what those spoiled little Pohlad kids didn’t do.

Dan
    Southeast MN

So where’s the yearly bash of the Vikings ownership? They don’t spend 1 dollar more than required by their league.

I defend the Pohlads only because people seem to think they operate differently than the other teams and owners in town. They don’t do anything different than Wilf, Taylor, and the soccer guy from Medtronics.

They are literally way different. The Vikings are constantly making moves and tweaks to remain “under the cap.” That means they’re running very close to the maximum allowable spending that the NFL sets. The MN Wild are also in “cap hell” so to speak because of the Parise/Suter deals. Did that deliver a cup? Nope, not even close, but I can get behind a team that tries that hard to sign top stars. The Twins are never even in the conversation for the top stars. Sonny Gray has a good year in 2023 and then leaves because…..because………Twins could’ve paid him and the Pohlads would’ve still made plenty of money. In fact, a good chunk of his salary would’ve been covered by that TV deal they used as an excuse to not spend but then ended up getting anyway.

And I don’t understand the need for “whataboutism.” My post was about daily/nightly blackouts or MLB games being otherwise unable to watch, and it’s followed up with “what about your Vikings, where are those complaints?” Irrelevant.

My comment was not exclusive to the Twins as we are seeing multiple MLB teams have issues with broadcasting (as well as the NHL). So what I was just getting at is there will likely be long-standing ripple effects to include attendance and merchandise sales when many families cannot even watch their home state baseball team.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I defend the Pohlads only because people seem to think they operate differently than the other teams and owners in town.

Because the Pohlads do operate differently than every other team. Twolves are in the luxury tax for being over the cap, Vikings are always up against it, and the Wild bought out 2 cancers to make the team better and are up against the cap every year regardless. All doing what they think it takes to win. You can’t honestly say that about the Twins, and they have been in the easiest division for years. The Pohlads cut payroll for a young team after the most productive postseason in decades.

I rip the Twins because they’ve earned it with their cheapness, despite being some of the richest owners in all of sports. And because I remember the World Series’, and Kirby, and the Metrodome, and the excitement about Target Field and being a season ticket holder, and now I couldn’t care less because of their ownership. Baseball was easily my favorite sport, and it is dying a slow death because these owners don’t look at anything but the bottom line. Their attitude is, “Who cares if no one attends the games, or watches them on TV, or kids don’t grow up loving the game, we are still getting paid!”

CaptainMusky

If the Twins spent 1/2 billion on players you would still whine about what those spoiled little Pohlad kids didn’t do.

Not at all true. If they actually cared about the product on the field and spent a reasonable amount of money in free agency or made trades we would love them. Now they are busy cutting when they should have been going all in. The other pro teams in town are and have been all in it just hasnt worked out. The Twins had their shot this offseason and pi$$ed down their leg.

Ripjiggen

Dutch’s pocket protector is thick. jester

BigWerm
    SW Metro

You win.

I’m framing that and putting it on my mantle. May 15th, 2024 3:28 pm the infamous Dutchboy admitted defeat! rotflol waytogo

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I didn’t say you are right. I just said you win and I’m done with it. Congratulations.

CaptainMusky

I didn’t say you are right. I just said you win and I’m done with it. Congratulations.

That’s as good as admitting someone was right if you’ve got nothing else.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Aaron Judge 3, Twins 0. 5th inning.

Brittman

Time to ditch the Twins dug out sausage ?

Yankees showed complete and utter domination of the Twins.

The Twins’ fear (real and perceived) of left-handed pitching on a strong left-handed batting order left the Twins in quite a humble quandary.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

When do they play the White Sox again? jester

Netguy
    Minnetonka

For 15-20 years now the Twins have needed to build a team to beat the Yankees. Pohlads, Schmolads. Never will happen with them owning the team unless maybe a salary cap is put in place. I’m sure the Pohlads would vote against it since they get so much luxury tax $$.
    What’s the next processed meat they go for? Slim Jims? Oh yeah!!!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’m with Werm. The current Pohlads suck. If they are gonna run the team this way why should anyone care? They are literally saying we’ll never win another championship and we don’t care. Shameful.

Twins get swept by the Yankees, eh? I guess some things never change.

Brittman

Wow there is no middle ground with this team.

The Twins had scored just one run in almost five full games (late rally ramped it up to 5 runs total in 5 games).

The Yankees and Guardians are teams the Twins need to play well against if they really want to be a contender.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I almost got Fubo yesterday. Glad I didn’t.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wow there is no middle ground with this team.

Best of the lousiest, lousiest of the best, is the ceiling for them unless the business model or ownership changes. So this is as good as it gets!

Mango Tango

Read an article that Sano left his heating pad on too long and burned his knee causing a couple day set back to his rehab assignment. No that that one is on the training staff but among him, Trout, and Rendon there sure have some winners in LA.

Brittman

Twins getting their grit back. Nice comeback win yesterday.

Sadly the Guardians and Yankees seem to be too much for the Twins. Lot’s of season to go though.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Royce Lewis will be with the team tomorrow in NY and the Scrub is going back to St Paul. Probably a good thing for him to get his confidence back.

Also, Miranda, Dutchy’s second favorite whipping boy is carrying the team right now. Leading in average, clutch hits and OPS.

JoeMX1825
    MN

for the love of all things holy, can Royce catch a friggin health break and last the rest of the season on the field!!!

JEREMY
    BP

Whos the scrub? Get the Yankees just in time to kill the momentum again.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Whos the scrub? Get the Yankees just in time to kill the momentum again.

The amish kid that was going to help carry the franchise rotflol

JEREMY
    BP

If your talking Julien didnt he hit like 7 HRs the first 2 weeks or so and none since.

Viewing 30 posts - 361 through 390 (of 800 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.