Twins 2023 Thread

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Those horses (and Arraez) didn’t seem to be enough.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Yeah with the long inning and pitching change for Houston I bet Rocco uses that to take Lopez out.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Big run driven in by Julien there. I think I’m okay with taking him out. I think…….

JoeMX1825
    MN

Huge getting at least 1 run from Julien’s hit, took a perfect throw to get Correa…

eyeguy507
    SE MN

save Pablo for game 5. they got this

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve said this before but it’s the best way to explain it. The Lopez/Arraez trade was a franchise changing trade. Arraez is a great hitter, but he doesn’t move the needle in the big picture. Impact starting pitchers do and that’s what we got with Lopez.

Joe Mauer was a HOF type hitter and look what he got the Twins…..Nothing. You don’t win in the postseason without great starting pitching. That’s just a fact.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

What a stud. Such a huge performance.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Damn, that was a helluva pitching performance… what a treat to watch!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Admittedly didn’t watch much regular season ball because of Bally, but damn is it fun to watch Lopez dealing in the post season with our guys getting the bats on a few.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Baseball and hockey are the two best postseason sports out there. We just don’t get to see the Twins in it for more than a couple games normally.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

hard not to back a guy like Pablo. the guy does as much outside of baseball as he does off the mound. Johan is his idol and he pitched like him today. cant wait to see what Sonny does for an encore

eyeguy507
    SE MN

at some point they need to consider just walking Alvarez

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I thought that was a routine fly ball…..part of it is Houston’s ballpark but that guy is legit strong. Really big that Stewart was able to get back on track so Duran didn’t have to come in to the eighth.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

maybe have Kuechel soft toss it to him to decrease exit velo?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Speaking of franchise changing players…..what a huge win! Target field is going to be INSANE on Tuesday.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

game set match…….we are onto Target field baby

JoeMX1825
    MN

C4 making a hell of a play and throwing that cocky Pena out to end the game, just awesome!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

that big dufus Ortiz got nothing to say tonight mrgreen

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m really liking Jeter in the postgame. He’s been really good and has really good stuff to say.

Ripjiggen

I’ve said this before but it’s the best way to explain it. The Lopez/Arraez trade was a franchise changing trade. Arraez is a great hitter, but he doesn’t move the needle in the big picture. Impact starting pitchers do and that’s what we got with Lopez.

Joe Mauer was a HOF type hitter and look what he got the Twins…..Nothing. You don’t win in the postseason without great starting pitching. That’s just a fact.

Don’t disagree but,
    Hindsight is easy right now.
    Reguardless with this franchise the trade is already worth it.

Also think it is unfair to put lack of playoff success solely on Joe.

It is possible to have a great hitter and a legitimate starting pitcher.
    Hard to believe being a twins fan but it is possible.

Go Twins. Fun to watch.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I understand that, but the comparison is perfect. A guy that could win a batting title every season, but rarely drove in more than 80 runs a season and rarely moved the needle.

Ripjiggen

I dunno. I don’t think Joe Mauer and Aaraez are necessarily apples to apples comparison just because they both hit for a high average.
    Joe at one point was an HOF catcher.
    Aaraez is/was basically a DH that hit for high average in a game that hitting approach is waaaaay different than it was.

I bet Miami still makes that trade today honestly pre post season as it was something they needed as well.

Again easy to say in hindsight vs Twins getting bounced in first round losing both games 3-0 with a couple hits a game.

I definitely agree that it was a franchise changing trade.
    Hell he won a playoff game that had not been done in 18 straight.

Debating a mute point I know.
    Anyone missing Buxton?

Go Twins!!!

FryDog62

“…Anyone missing Buxton?

Go Twins!!!”

Poor guy, yeah I miss that Bryan Baxter – or whatever his name was – for sure!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I dunno. I don’t think Joe Mauer and Aaraez are necessarily apples to apples comparison just because they both hit for a high average.
    Joe at one point was an HOF catcher.
    Aaraez is/was basically a DH that hit for high average in a game that hitting approach is waaaaay different than it was.

I bet Miami still makes that trade today honestly pre post season as it was something they needed as well.

Again easy to say in hindsight vs Twins getting bounced in first round losing both games 3-0 with a couple hits a game.

I definitely agree that it was a franchise changing trade.
    Hell he won a playoff game that had not been done in 18 straight.

Debating a mute point I know.
    Anyone missing Buxton?

Go Twins!!!

How is their approach different? Both singles hitters that hit the ball the other way? Both hit doubles every now and then. Mauer stopped being a HOFer when he moved to first.

Ripjiggen

There approach to hitting isn’t. I meant the approach to hitting in the major leagues is much different now.

Brittman

Pitching is key to winning post season games.

Luis Arraez has a great bat. Twins do not need another DH.

While Baldelli loves to move around players around the diamond – where would those Arraez fans put him in the field on an everyday basis ?

Brittman

Pablo is a first-class pitcher, leader, and stand-up individual.

A healthy Lewis is a franchise-changing player.

Carlos has something to prove with the Astros. Glad he is delivering.

Polanco quietly (well not so quietly) showing he still has it.

CaptainMusky

This is the most excited I have been about Twins baseball in a long time. We finally have some hope! We have the pitching. We are getting hitting and our fielding is pretty dang good too. This team could go far.

Ripjiggen

Pitching is key to winning post season games.

Luis Arraez has a great bat. Twins do not need another DH.

While Baldelli loves to move around players around the diamond – where would those Arraez fans put him in the field on an everyday basis ?

Don’t disagree.

FryDog62

This is the most excited I have been about Twins baseball in a long time. We finally have some hope! We have the pitching. We are getting hitting and our fielding is pretty dang good too. This team could go far.

I agree with you on most of your post, with the exception of the dang good fielding. I think there are days when Edouard Julien and Jorge Polanco could play catch and someone would get killed.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,861 through 1,890 (of 2,096 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.