Twins 2023 Thread

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

im fine with it even tho i dont trust Thielbar that much. he reached on that curve and about put it in the upper deck. good pitch better hitter.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Jeffers couldn’t throw out a runner trying to steal to save his life but he does that hah

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>
    I’ll say it again, need these bats to wake up or it’s going to be a short series.

happy now?

obviously they need to score runs to win no matter who is pitching

Not thrilled with the outcome but at least we made a game of it.

Thanks for asking.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m sorry but I think bringing in Theilbar there was dumb. You’ve got a guy throwing 98 with filthy stuff for a lefty that throws 90. Bad move.

That was Paddocks inning. Another front office fail by bringing in Theilbar.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Must win tomorrow

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They were never going to win the Verlander game. They have always needed a split in Houston to have any chance.

FryDog62

I would’ve started Joe Ryan – I get it… gopher balls, didn’t pitch well against the Astros during the regular season, etc.

But this is the ALDS, and I think Joe is better in an intense environment than Ober. Bailey’s body language early on indicated he was over his head.

Good or bad, you don’t get that with Ryan. Has some fighter pilot swagger, and I think steps up when the stakes go up. But that’s just me, I don’t know nearly what Rocco knows.. shock

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

But that’s just me, I don’t know nearly what Rocco knows..

I’m not so sure of that.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Verlander owns a 0.56 ERA against the Twins in their last 10 or so starts i think they posted. Ober did what we all thought he would do and kept it close enough. they missed some early opportunities.
    Joe probably would have done similarly? Ortiz said they have no chance vs Valdez tomorrow so that should motivate the young guys other than Royce who needs no motivation.

its the playoffs and some of these young guys look nervous. maybe they got that out of the way tonight?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m ok with the Ober start. I’m not sure Ryan would’ve done any better. I’m still mad about the Theilbar move. Paddock was mowing people down and this organization should know that Alvarez crushes lefties just as much as righties with the analytics they love so much. I would rather have a guy throwing gas with nasty breaking stuff than Theilbars 90 mph stuff and his 80 mph slider. By the way, that wasn’t a good pitch.

Need to win tomorrow which also won’t be easy with a pretty good lefty going against us. We don’t hit lefties well. Hopefully they have contact on the mind tomorrow.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Arizona put a 6 spot on Kershaw and knocked him out in the 1st.

It’s 9-0 in the second. So I guess anything is possible.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

By the way, that wasn’t a good pitch.

it was away and low in the zone. Alvarez stuck his bat out and launched it. sometimes you just need to tip your hat to the hitter. there are plenty of hangers throughout the game that guys do nothing with. if they square them up, they are mistakes and everyone is appalled.

in the end Thielbar is pretty average and Alvarez is not, neither is Bregman, Altuve and the list goes on.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Mid thigh on the outside corner isn’t good. Especially to a power hitter. They need to extend their arms on balls out over the plate which is exactly what he did.

If this damn site would let me post a pic I’d show you the location but I’ve tried five times already.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

every hitter needs to extend to reach balls on the outside of the plate. Alvarez guessed curve which is what he got and drove it to right which is even more impressive.
    that dong was not the undoing of this team. they needed some timely hitting when they had Verlander on the ropes early. that didn’t happen. onto game 2 play harder, nobody cares.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I agree, but you can’t give up a HR in that situation after you’ve come all the way back 5 minutes previous. Killed all their momentum. Paddock doesn’t give up that dinger.

Also, not everyone needs to extend. Look at Altuve’s HR, up and in. Big guys need room. He needed to be busting him in or leave it off the outside corner, not on it. I’m sure that pitch was supposed to be off the corner, he just missed. But you get room for error when you have a guy that throws hard and misses over a guy that throws 90. That’s the point I’m trying to make.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is no recent tape and scouting report on Paddock. There is on Theilbar. There was no reason not to let Paddock continue he has a fresh arm and is a unknown in comparison to the other bullpen pieces. As with many of the pencil pushers this was a pre-determined move with no regard to a individual situation. This is exactly why many people hate this era of baseball.

What would Tom Kelly have done? Or Terry Francona? Bruce Bochey, Sparky Anderson, you now, the guys who know baseball.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The announcers were literally LAUGHING at Baldelli bringing in Theilbar saying “They are big on analytics. They should know how well Alvarez hits lefties.”

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Nice start. Clutch swing from Correa and a solid start from Pablo. Already has Bregman crying (which doesn’t take much).

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Nice start. Clutch swing from Correa and a solid start from Pablo. Already has Bregman crying (which doesn’t take much).

A few of the umps may have tossed Bregman there. With 4 barks and 3 flexes he had to be close.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

everyone said this Valdez guy was good? they are absolutely scorching the baseball right now.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

everyone said this Valdez guy was good? they are absolutely scorching the baseball right now.

He is pretty good, they just can’t let him off the hook like they did with Verlander although Valdez is no Verlander.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

oh they were bragging him up all over. if they steal this game, i can’t wait to see what that big ogre Ortiz has to say after he said they have ZERO chance to beat him……ZERO

FryDog62

Fill me in why Astros fans boo Correa?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

oh they were bragging him up all over. if they steal this game, i can’t wait to see what that big ogre Ortiz has to say after he said they have ZERO chance to beat him……ZERO

I wouldn’t consider it a upset if the Twins win. Last thing I would be concerned about is anything Ortiz or the other roid user says.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Fill me in why Astros fans boo Correa?

Wondering the same thing. Some of my Houston coworkers call him a “traitor”

glenn57
    cold spring mn

he used to play for the Astros!!!!!!!

FryDog62

he used to play for the Astros!!!!!!!

Right, but still the best overall SS in Houston history, brought them to WS. He cheated, yeah… but so did a number of guys sitting in the Astros dugout. Do they boo those guys too?

Viewing 30 posts - 1,801 through 1,830 (of 2,096 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.