Twins 2019

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Oh man! I’ve been binge-watching Oprah reruns for the last 12 hours. I love the one when Tom Cruise jumps on the couch. That’s my favorite.
    How did the Twins game turn out last night?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Well that sucked! Wait can I say that? The guy in front of me got booted (at least from his seat) for yelling at Judge that he SUCKED! “Sucked”

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What’s your favorite twins photo from the playoffs?

Here’s mine.

Attachments:
    1. 97B2200E-162A-4263-B10A-40F31C42057D.jpeg

Deuces

Well that sucked! Wait can I say that? The guy in front of me got booted (at least from his seat) for yelling at Judge that he SUCKED! “Sucked”

That’s funny

Few days ago stopped over at Grandma’s quick, watched an inning or two with her as she’s a big fan. Myself who’s FW has been Yankees since day 1, we have been to old Yankee stadium and watch enough to know well aware how savage those fans can be, Grandma slaps her hands on her knees and says “Nicky, I just wish those Yankees fans would stop yelling at our players, it really bothers them!”

I about died. Gotta love Grandma.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Obviously not how we wanted the season to end but it was a really exciting year. Was at opening day and bookended it with being there for last night’s misery. Hope October has some good series ahead. Anybody but the Yanks and Dodgers, please.

Dan
    Southeast MN

This reminds me of the 2009 season. Twins made the playoffs and I was fired up and excited. Went to their website and got a Divisional Champs t-shirt, sweatshirt, and hat. They were knocked out of the playoffs before the delivery arrived.

Deuces

reminds me of the 2009 season.

We were just a few rows up from 3rd base, one of the best sporting events of my life
    null

Hoyt4
    NULL

I would love to see the Yanks beat up on the dodgers or braves. Very fun team to watch. Their D is way better than expected and bullpen is good.

Them and Astros will be fun to watch, 7 games would be great.

FryDog62

Just heard a media member describe the clubhouse after the loss last night. He said both Baldelli and players were “somber yet seemingly satisfied overall with the season.”

Apparently the current players and coaches haven’t been around long enough to know about this whole Minnesota underachiever thing…

Makes me wonder if the likes of Dan Gladden, Jack Morris or Torii Hunter would have been on the team, how long they would have tolerated that kind of atmosphere…

JEREMY
    BP

Kinda sad that even after winning 101 games my expectations were so low I wasn’t even disappointed to get swept. That being said I know championships are what its all about but at least for the first time in a while my tv was on FSN pretty much every night all summer and I had a lot of fun watching the games. YUK Im getting content in my old age.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blank wrote:</div>
    Why did he pull Odorizzi after pitching a 1-2-3 inning and with just 82 pitches?

I was wondering the same thing. Guessing he wanted him ready for game one of spring training 2020 wherever hes pitching at.

I’ll tell you why he pulled him. Tbro’s analytics told him to. Third time around the batting order the pitcher gets pummeled. Doesn’t matter what pitcher it is. Analytics say YOU HAVE TO GO TO YOUR BULLPEN!!!!

It was a great season. Frustrating, but great. Now Twins fans get to ask the question they ask every off season “Will the Pohlads finally spend money for some REAL PITCHING???” I really don’t know.

On a side note, I’m convinced Rocco is in fact Joe Mauer in disguise. The guy has the exact bland, non emotional, no fire, no killer attitude, personality. Just when the organization finally got out of the Mauer era, here he is hiding in a Baldelli costume…….

Seriously, listen to Mauer interviews and Baldelli interviews. I swear it’s the same person.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Baldelli smokes significantly more weed than Joe. Not even a comparison coffee

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I’ll tell you why he pulled him. Tbro’s analytics told him to. Third time around the batting order the pitcher gets pummeled. Doesn’t matter what pitcher it is. Analytics say YOU HAVE TO GO TO YOUR BULLPEN!!!!

Ah, cmon now mahto. Cant we all be friends here? waytogo Odorizzis numbers a 3rd time through the lineup are pretty rough. .296 average, .367 wOBA, HR/9 doubles, K% down, BB% up.. etc. With that said, in a regular season game I think he continues for sure.

But when every run is so important pulling him was the correct strategy. Especially when you consider two things- 1. Twins already down a few runs and in an elimination game, you cant afford to give up a single additional run. Need fresh arms. and 2. Three of the Twins’ best bullpen arms were sitting on about two weeks rest waiting for the right situation. Thats why Rogers pitched in the 6th inning for the first time this year. Made perfect sense to me.

Only thing that didnt was sticking with Romo for as long as he did when May had thrown a whopping 1 pitch in over a week. Should have gone to him sooner.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Ah, cmon now mahto. Cant we all be friends here? waytogo Odorizzis numbers a 3rd time through the lineup are pretty rough. .296 average, .367 wOBA, HR/9 doubles, K% down, BB% up.. etc. With that said, in a regular season game I think he continues for sure.

But when every run is so important pulling him was the correct strategy. Especially when you consider two things- 1. Twins already down a few runs and in an elimination game, you cant afford to give up a single additional run. Need fresh arms. and 2. Three of the Twins’ best bullpen arms were sitting on about two weeks rest waiting for the right situation. Thats why Rogers pitched in the 6th inning for the first time this year. Made perfect sense to me.

Only thing that didnt was sticking with Romo for as long as he did when May had thrown a whopping 1 pitch in over a week. Should have gone to him sooner.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with you and the third time around analytic rule. HOWEVER, Odorizzi was the ONLY pitcher that had ANY success against the yanks lineup and the bullpen had done nothing but give up runs by the boatload in the middle innings. That is why Odorizzi should not have been pulled. You cannot BLINDLY follow analytics. If you are going to use them you have to also take the situation into account. Which Rocco has repeatedly failed to do all year and in the 3 games of the postseason. Zack Littell in Game 1 proving my point. Analytics probably said he would succeed in that situation. But analytics don’t take in to account that there are actual human beings playing the game that are affected by this little thing called NERVES.

If we have to accept analytics, the people using them damn well better learn they need to get their heads out of the books while the game is going on and look around too.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

That I can agree with to a certain extent as well. If Rogers, May, and Romo had each thrown 30 pitches the day prior I think Odorizzi stays in. Even with poor numbers a 3rd time through the lineup, like you said, I’d rather see Odorizzi still out there than Litell, Stashak, and whoever else they find in the dust. Atleast as long as he doesnt run himself into trouble.

I can also agree with that. Analytics still arent perfect. No where near it. They’re only used to give you a statistical advantage, but that doesnt mean it’ll always work out in your favor! For all the crazy numbers, equations, and graphs, we really are only scratching the surface for whats out there. Something to look forward to for ya mahto devil

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

we really are only scratching the surface for whats out there. Something to look forward to for ya mahto devil

chased whistling

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Point of clarification that I’m sure you both realize: analytics don’t say anything. It’s just data. Nothing is implied; results can only be inferred.

I completely agree that there needs to be some level of thinking in the moment. That’s why you have a human being as a manager. His job during those nine innings is to, uh, manage.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Cruz signed for next year One good move, now lets get on the pitching.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I guess the Astros should have invested in top notch pitching??? Oh wait…

It doesn’t matter who’s out there, it’s all about execution..

Viewing 20 posts - 1,411 through 1,430 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.