Twins 2019

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Bases loaded, no outs….nothing. That hurts.

Deuces

Decided to watch a game this year, might as well be this one. Got some wings, a beer, and looky looky, same ol crap. Why I won’t watch this $hitshow until the owners spend some money, and team gets past the Yankees in playoffs.

I saw a way different Odorizzi I guess. Leaving pitches up leads to ding dong within 2 innings, I was gonna give em at least 3 before they got one.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I swear to god if I see another F’ing shift next year I’m going to lose it…..How many more runs are we going to lose for our pitchers with this crap. And if you’re going to play a shift in that situation why the hell are you throwing a fastball??? Throw a change up so the guy actually hits it into the shift. This team is good on the surface but they don’t do so many of the little things that make great teams great.

B-man

Who’s got the lighter????

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20191007-205538.png

Deuces

U referring to that Gardner hit? I’ve watched him for years with the FW(Yankees fan), and was wondering wtf were they thinking, anyone with a half a brain knows Gardner can slap the crap out a ball and with sano range it just is a bad decision.

Good to see Odorizzi tighten his stuff up so far

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

U referring to that Gardner hit? I’ve watched him for years with the FW(Yankees fan), and was wondering wtf were they thinking, anyone with a half a brain knows Gardner can slap the crap out a ball and with sano range it just is a bad decision.

Good to see Odorizzi tighten his stuff up so far

Yes. They’ve shifted on every other batter this year and they still can’t figure out that if you’re shifting someone to pull you don’t throw pitches that they won’t pull…..basic freaking baseball.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

How bout a 2 out double.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

was wondering wtf were they thinking, anyone with a half a brain knows Gardner can slap the crap out a ball

I swear to god if I see another F’ing shift next year I’m going to lose it…..How many more runs are we going to lose for our pitchers with this crap.

Anyone hitting it to the opposite field 20% or less is considered an “extreme pull” hitter. This year Gardners pull percentage was 20.8%.

Heres his spray chart vs RHP this year. Note the number of groundballs to that side of the field. Twins got extremely unlucky, because as biggill pointed out, even if the shift only works 60%… it still works.

Attachments:
    1. spray-chart.jpg

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Painful. Just…… so…… painful

Deuces

Twins got extremely unlucky,

Have your stats all you want, watching Gardner over the years in playoffs knows that don’t work.

Metrics, just more options for management to point fingers at other than themselves.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

And just like that, the Yankees save a run.. thanks to the shift.. vs a lefty.. with a runner in scoring position.. with two outs.

Clockwork.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

And just like that, the Yankees save a run.. thanks to the shift.. vs a lefty.. with a runner in scoring position.. with two outs.

Clockwork.

Here’s the difference. Pitch selection. They didn’t bust Rosario inside like they did Gardner. The pitched him outside and he pulled the ball into the shift. Rosario is one of the most aggressive hitters in the game and they knew he would roll over on an outside pitch. The Twins don’t pitch to the shift. They pitch the same way they would if they didn’t have a shift on. Thats the problem. They negate any advantage the shift gives them with their pitch calling.

Deuces

Clockwork lol.

That’s why that clockwork scored a run on us right? Oh wait that’s just unlucky. And all those other teams who aren’t even in the playoffs, and the ones who are losing are just extremely unlucky too right?

Like I said, just easy excuses. Garnder in his hayday was one of the fastest guys in league, got on base with those slap/choppers all the time. He looks beefy this game, I’m sure he’s lost a step or too and counts more on power, but his roots remain and being probably one of the most big time big at bat playoff guys on that field you can kick those fancy spray percentage junk, matrix crap, and all the other yahoo stuff I can’t stand to listen to anymore out the window.

Respectfully of course grin

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I wonder if epg is watching Oprah yet.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

They’re only as good as their leadoff hitter.

0-9

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Beads this “yahoo” stuff im giving you is factual information. Not an opinion of he said/she said about how much weight Gardner has gained in recent years. I’m just saying the Twins had the advantage in numbers with the shift they employed there. Unfortunately for them, it didnt work out in their favor, even with the advantage they had. It happens.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

You mean the table setter?

Deuces

Numbers are not equal to baseball common sense. Therefore the only advantage is gained by management throwing out cliches in the post game throwing up their hands in how they loss with the “right” numbers.

Chappy comes in, good night folks. Maybe I’ll chime in here again next post season, see how the numbers are working out.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Lol, okay beads. I have no idea what you just said, but I’ll look forward to what you have to chime in with next year too jester

B-man

I’m going to bed doah

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

… and we’ll see you… next spring.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Still a great season. Very entertaining. We all know we aren’t built to go deep in the playoffs, we are built to make money, that’s just the way it is, and it ain’t gonna change. Hopefully next year will be fun.

I was around for 87 & 91, and really life didn’t change because they won it all, and it won’t change if they don’t.

B-man

It was a great season, and it was fun they made the playoffs.

Last night they actually had a shot, but the damn Yankees played some mean defense. Lots of great catches last night.

Ice Cap

That Jake Cave dive in the outfield! How embarrassing. For both him and the fans. Speaking of numbers I think I heard it said last night that 85% of the time with bases loaded and no outs teams will score at least 1 run. Them Twins are just a darn unlucky team I guess.

Say what you will but that playoff performance was a dam embarrassment.

blank

That Jake Cave dive in the outfield! How embarrassing. For both him and the fans.

And that was just after he struck out looking at pitch right down the middle with the bases loaded.

For the series; 3-28 with RISP, 25 runners LOB. Yuck.

Like others on here, I scratch my head at some of Baldelli’s decisions. Why did he pull Odorizzi after pitching a 1-2-3 inning and with just 82 pitches?

Overall it was a very entertaining and fun season, but a big let down at the end (typical MN sports). No sane person honestly thought the Twins had solid pitching, but you could have at least hoped that the offense would produce far better than it did.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do in free agency. A front end starting pitcher should be the top priority. Man, it would be glorious if they got Cole, but I highly doubt that.

JEREMY
    BP

Why did he pull Odorizzi after pitching a 1-2-3 inning and with just 82 pitches?

I was wondering the same thing. Guessing he wanted him ready for game one of spring training 2020 wherever hes pitching at.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The most disappointing part of this series is that even two aces wouldn’t have helped this team win this series. 3 runs in the final 2 games isn’t going to cut it no matter who you put out there.

I thought Rosario and Arraez were their best hitters this series. It’s really too bad Keppler didn’t have more at bats prior to this series. I think he finally started seeing the ball at the end of last nights game.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the Twins need to find some starting pitching this offseason. Not really sure what they can do offensively. They clearly have the tools for offense.

Now that this playoff run is over at least we can look forward to the Vik… Wil… Timber…. Wow, it’s going to be a long winter.

CaptainMusky

The most disappointing part of this series is that even two aces wouldn’t have helped this team win this series. 3 runs in the final 2 games isn’t going to cut it no matter who you put out there.

I thought Rosario and Arraez were their best hitters this series. It’s really too bad Keppler didn’t have more at bats prior to this series. I think he finally started seeing the ball at the end of last nights game.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the Twins need to find some starting pitching this offseason. Not really sure what they can do offensively. They clearly have the tools for offense.

Now that this playoff run is over at least we can look forward to the Vik… Wil… Timber…. Wow, it’s going to be a long winter.

We still have the Gophers!
    Kepler said that he would have been able to play in that last series. I think Rocco was too cautious with him. He certainly should have at least had some at bats to get ready.
    You are 100% right, you cannot win scoring so few runs in today’s baseball.
    Bases loaded and no outs and not a single run? That is really inexcusable.
    I do hope they address starting pitching, but honestly I hope they dont mortgage everything on some FA pickup like Cole. Those types of deals rarely work out. The Division is ripe for the picking for several years, but they have to do something to improve and prepare themselves for October baseball because the Astros and Yankees arent going anywhere.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

We still have the Gophers!

I’m sorry, but it’s really hard to get behind a team with a record like they have.

Unless of course you’re talking about the gopher hockey team. They’re just a terrible team, with a terrible coach, in a terrible arena, at a terrible school, with a terrible ranking.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Put a fork in them, they are done, lock this thread. Start a new Twins 2020 thread, LOL

Viewing 30 posts - 1,381 through 1,410 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.