Twins 2019

• JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tbro16 wrote:</div>
    Twins do this right and they could be real good for a real long time. I’ve got full faith in Falvey and Levine and I think you should too.

Did Lavelle E. Neal create a fake IDO profile?

Nah, I’m no Pohlad pocket protector. That’s for darn sure. But it’s clear to see that Falvey and Levine are doing a fantastic job with the organization right now.

The Polanco & Kepler contracts look like absolute steals! Will be interesting to see what they do with Rosario, Sano and Buxton…

Dan
    Southeast MN

Nah, I’m no Pohlad pocket protector. That’s for darn sure. But it’s clear to see that Falvey and Levine are doing a fantastic job with the organization right now.

To each their own on what they deem as “results” I guess. This year has been great but I’d like to see some meaningful results first. So far it looks like they’re going to win a bad division. I’ve lived through those era’s in the early and late 2000’s, where they’d win horrible divisions and make extremely early exits from the playoffs. I’m loving having meaningful baseball and eagerly watching these games as well as the Indians scores, but I’d like to see something more than a division title. They’ve had multiple opportunities to get better this year and haven’t done much with it. They’ve shown that they’re not willing to part ways with much money, draft capital, or players, so to get much better they’re going to have to change the way they do things. And because of that I’ll wait to have faith in them until there’s proof.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Twins do this right and they could be real good for a real long time. I’ve got full faith in Falvey and Levine and I think you should too.

Did Lavelle E. Neal create a fake IDO profile?

Pitching aside, you can’t say they haven’t done a great job with the position players. The salaries are all team friendly as Tbro said and they have some serious hitter in the lineup.

But yeah, pitching obviously needs to be taken care of this year. Oh and I’d like to put in a request to trade Rosario for said pitching.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Their lineup is solid and awesome to watch. I didn’t say they haven’t done a good job with position players. I’m just hoping to see meaningful results from the team.

But I would argue that “pitching aside” is a pretty big deal, and something they had opportunities to fix.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s going to be really interesting to see what, if anything, the MLB does with the ball in the offseason. Do they want the MLB to be this much of a HR fest? MLBPA’s response will be interesting too. This is probably how it will play out from a contracts perspective:

Pitchers: “Here’s a contract smaller than you deserve, but you’ve been giving up a lot more HRs and your ERA has been rising”

Batters: “Sure, you hit 30 HR last year, but so did half the league, here’s your league average contract, take it or leave it.”

BigWerm
    SW Metro

To each their own on what they deem as “results” I guess. This year has been great but I’d like to see some meaningful results first. So far it looks like they’re going to win a bad division. I’ve lived through those era’s in the early and late 2000’s, where they’d win horrible divisions and make extremely early exits from the playoffs. I’m loving having meaningful baseball and eagerly watching these games as well as the Indians scores, but I’d like to see something more than a division title. They’ve had multiple opportunities to get better this year and haven’t done much with it. They’ve shown that they’re not willing to part ways with much money, draft capital, or players, so to get much better they’re going to have to change the way they do things. And because of that I’ll wait to have faith in them until there’s proof.

100% agree Dan! I’m enjoying this year for what it is, but need to see a lot more before I believe the Twins (Pohlads) have changed their stripes. Also Falvine still have a lot to prove too, for every move that came through this year, they had a similar move that flopped last year, and a lot of the core players were not their picks. The jury is still out.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

According to espn our team era is ninth in baseball. I agree our starters are shaky but according to the numbers we are one of the better pitching clubs in baseball

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

According to espn our team era is ninth in baseball. I agree our starters are shaky but according to the numbers we are one of the better pitching clubs in baseball

The bullpen has been the second best in baseball since August, at least as of last week.

I agree they haven’t won anything yet, but they have set the team up to be good for quite awhile if they EVER go after some real pitching.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I cant argue that “no playoff win” take, but its going to be very obnoxious to come on here after the season, if they lose in 3 or 4 games to Houston, and talk about how this is the same old Twins. The Twins are set up SO well for the future, partially because of the current regime.

They’ve done a great job at limiting the poor contracts that we saw get shelled out on a consistent basis by Terry Ryan and crew. Sure, they’ve swung and missed on Perez, Parker, and Reed but they were all on short deals that will be off the books this offseason. No more 5 yr $60mil deals for guys like Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes (who they are still paying by the way). Oh, and anyone else see Kimbrel give up another homerun in another loss in the heat of a pennant race? Thank the lord they didnt shell out millions to that fool. His near regression was so, so clear.

The bad pitcher take is a poor one. Like mahtofire pointed out, the pitching staff is much improved this year. The depth of the bullpen is unreal. Arguably the biggest offseaon move the Twins made besides Cruz was bringing in Wes Johnson. Several pitchers on the staff having career years.

Also should mention the Twins biggest fault for their poor pitching for the last decade is their inability to draft and develop it. Falvey was high up in the Indians regime when they drafted Bieber, Plesac, Civale on the same day in 2016. Have faith and have patience. This season has been way too successful and the core is way too young to get uptight about a lack of playoff wins in the early 00’s.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

tbro get outta here with your logic. This team is only gonna win 100 games. What a lost season!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

my take is that Perez should be moved to the pen next year. you can’t teach 95 plus these days. Gibby can go away…PLEASE. Buston can be a pinch runner and designated 9th inning outfielder. Cron and Schoop will not get resigned likely even tho I like both. ARRAEZ….what can you say about that future batting champion! This guy may be the greatest hitters I have ever seen in my lifetime even tho it has only been ONE year!

Terry Ryan GONE
    Gardy GONE
    Joey groundball GONE
    Pitch to contact GONE

Dis gonna be fun……FINALLY!

LETS GO!!!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Was at the game last night. Had upperdeck seats. There really isnt a bad seat in the house. What an beautiful stadium! Cant say im thrilled with $12 a beer but thats to be expected.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Cant say im thrilled with $12 a beer but thats to be expected.

That’s just part of the experience! toast

Anyway, anyone else see what Gleeman had to say on twitter this morning? Along with the screenshots below, he mentioned how when Falvey and Levine came to town the twins hit the most grounders and the least homeruns. Three years later they have set the record for most homers in a season, they’ve hit the least number of grounders, and they will have their 2nd best regular season of all time.

Attachments:
    1. B9E8F86C-0680-404D-BB10-3198B3FC54C3.png

2. DBBE7D18-4BE4-4E73-9264-DE75F82ED1C2.png

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Analytics are a sham. Just look at the shift. It only works 60% of the time.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

@eyeguy507

Buxton is a game changer. The stats show how much better the twins are when he is. You can’t just look at his stats. Teams have to gameplan for his speed and his defense is tops in the league.

I’d like to see Cron back as a DH and/or first base depending on how other plays move around.

The only way the twins compete for a series, barring other teams injuries, is if they get a lights out starter. The bullpen is solid but another arm or two would be good. A true number 1 starter, with Berrios as a 2, Pineda as a 3, get a 4 and use Gibson as a 5th or trade him.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I’ll be curious to see what they do with Cron too. Twins could get him back on a super cheap team friendly deal. Is Rooker ready? Also has a lot to do with what they do with their Catchers. Roll with just Astudillo and Garver? Bring Castro back? Get aggressive after Grandal again?

I wasn’t ready for the Twins to drop $150+ mil on a starter last offseason, but I’m all for the Twins doing whatever they need to keep Odorizzi, Pineda, and bringing in Cole. The young core proved they’re ready this year.

JEREMY
    BP

Even though nobody likes my ? I’m gonna ask again anyway. Tyler Duffy’s been a beast. So we all know if he struggled Baldelli would let him work it out if he had to throw 25-35 pithes at least, so why if he comes in and strikes out the side on 12 pitches which has has done at least 3 times lately, why the ?$@k can’t he pitch the next inning or 2.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The bad pitcher take is a poor one. Like mahtofire pointed out, the pitching staff is much improved this year. The depth of the bullpen is unreal.

And we were just starting to play nice Tbro mrgreen ……I never said the staff is much improved. I also disagree that the bullpen depth is “unreal”. I said they have been the best pen in the bigs since August. Yes they have been on a good run the last month but let’s remember, this was the cake portion of the schedule. Not to mention the past week has reminded us that our bullpen depth my be a bit of a mirage. It’s definitely in improvement but the staff still has a long way to go.

Ice Cap

I’m not a in depth analyst like some here but from a casual observer or layman’s point of view I see the Twins having to score a minimum 6 to 8 runs a game to have a chance to win. That’s against some of the middle to lower tier teams. Putting up that many runs consistently against playoffs teams is a tall order even for a power hitting line up like the Twins.

JoeMX1825
    MN

short series will be the key for the Twins playoff success, if it stretches to 6-7 games our bullpen will be overworked by then and the Yankees/Astros will tee off on tired arms…

JEREMY
    BP

Nice to see the Twins cant get a ninth inning out. What did they have 5 walks in the 9th yesterday? You would be better off lobbing it right down the middle and let them hit it to someone. They weren’t gonna hit 6 straight homers so why walk in 2 runs and bring the tying run to the plate. Or wait your major league pitchers throw a G.D. strike.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Nice to see the Twins cant get a ninth inning out. What did they have 5 walks in the 9th yesterday? You would be better off lobbing it right down the middle and let them hit it to someone. They weren’t gonna hit 6 straight homers so why walk in 2 runs and bring the tying run to the plate. Or wait your major league pitchers throw a G.D. strike.

That was mostly via the newer pitcher recently called up and got more and more nervous, Rocco left him in too long…

JEREMY
    BP

When I turned it on it was Romo who couldn’t throw his 75-85 mph stuff over the plate.

JoeMX1825
    MN

When I turned it on it was Romo who couldn’t throw his 75-85 mph stuff over the plate.

He came in with the bases loaded, he had to be careful with his pitches…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ll be curious to see what they do with Cron too. Twins could get him back on a super cheap team friendly deal. Is Rooker ready? Also has a lot to do with what they do with their Catchers. Roll with just Astudillo and Garver? Bring Castro back? Get aggressive after Grandal again?

I wasn’t ready for the Twins to drop $150+ mil on a starter last offseason, but I’m all for the Twins doing whatever they need to keep Odorizzi, Pineda, and bringing in Cole. The young core proved they’re ready this year.

They need Cron at first base. With the terrible throws from Sano and Polanco I bet he has saved at least 20 outs digging balls out of the dirt from those two. Big upgrade from Adrianza, Gonzalez or La Tortuga.

JEREMY
    BP

He came in with the bases loaded, he had to be careful with his pitches…

He had to carefully walk in 2 runs to get the tying run to the plate? Makes sense I guess.

CaptainMusky

To each their own on what they deem as “results” I guess. This year has been great but I’d like to see some meaningful results first. So far it looks like they’re going to win a bad division.

Except they are not just winning in a bad division. Their record OUTSIDE the division is almost identical to Houston and the Yankees. Yes, their division isnt great after Cleveland, but the fact remains they still have done very well against everyone else too.

CaptainMusky

Except they are not just winning in a bad division. Their record OUTSIDE the division is almost identical to Houston and the Yankees. Yes, their division isnt great after Cleveland, but the fact remains they still have done very well against everyone else too.

Here are the records for the Yankees, Twins and Astros outside of their division (non-divisional opponents):

Yankees: 48-35
    Twins: 51-35
    Astros: 51-35

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

On a related but not really note, did anyone else see that Cleveland went EIGHTEEN AND ONE against the Tigers this year? 18-1, that’s ridiculous.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I would honestly say with some of the budget cuts and injuries Cleveland has had this year they have a season they should be proud of and I doubt anyone is real excited to play them in the WC round.

Viewing 30 posts - 1,201 through 1,230 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.