Twins 2019

• FryDog62

I try not to look in the rear view mirror very often, but do think if the Twins would have traded Sano for pitching back when his stock was at its highest point – and kept Eduardo Escobar as the permanent 3rd baseman.

Escobar was never thought of here as anything more than an overachieving utility player. But if you look at the past 2-3 years at his stats for fielding, batting average, power, speed and time on the field – have the Twins ever had a better 3rd baseman?

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Agreed on Morneau – I love him in the booth and he’s getting better at it. I also noticed his small ball comment and had to laugh. Plus with Eddie on 2nd base part of me worries he’d try to score on the bunt doah

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Morneau is a natural and super knowledgeable. Looks like they got a replacement for Bert if he ever decides to hang up his headset.

RT
    Twin Cities

Morneau is a natural and super knowledgeable. Looks like they got a replacement for Bert if he ever decides to hang up his headset.

Agreed. Morneau is a great asset in the booth. Add in Jim Kaat with Morneau and the baseball knowledge and ability to analyze makes for ac great listen.

I used to be a big Bert fan, but he seems to be getting grumpier each year. At times this year it’s almost been unbearable.

A great broadcast lineup would include Bremer, Morneau, Kaat, and of course Audra.

blank

Where’s the love for Tom Kelly? Has he even been in the booth at all this year or last? He’s monotone/boring as all get out, but I always chuckle at the fact that he calls Bremer “Richard” instead of “Dick”.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Where’s the love for Tom Kelly? Has he even been in the booth at all this year or last? He’s monotone/boring as all get out, but I always chuckle at the fact that he calls Bremer “Richard” instead of “Dick”.

I love TK and Morris in the booth and I guess I’m in the minority there. Sure they can be crabby old men and bitch and moan about how the game is played these days, but what they are saying is still relevant. But what do I know, I’m just an old school baseball mind stuck in a 33 year olds body.

In other news Paul Allen of all people mentioned trying to use Graderol as an opener for one or two innings today on his show and I actually think that makes a lot of sense. I hate the opener but if you don’t have a decent starting staff I guess it makes sense. So if you did it with Graderol you are getting him some valuable experience in low intensity situations AND letting him warm up before the game like he is used to doing as a starter.

FryDog62

Bremer would have to play referee but Torii and LaTroy would be entertaining together…

…or maybe Torii and Morneau if he doesn’t take another swing at him (and hit Punto)..

JEREMY
    BP

Why is Castro catching tonite. Why the heck can’t we see Garver more we obviously need him in the line up. 30 homers in 280 at bats they said last night I guess I would sit him too. I was hoping with so few games left he would get them all or at least close to it.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Why is Castro catching tonite. Why the heck can’t we see Garver more we obviously need him in the line up. 30 homers in 280 at bats they said last night I guess I would sit him too. I was hoping with so few games left he would get them all or at least close to it.

I’m with you on that. However Rocco doesn’t like over playing people……ever.

Interested to see how they do against Strasburg. He’s been pretty filthy this year.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m just going to say it. Eddie Rosario is a terrible outfielder. Other than a handful of outfield assists each year he jogs after balls down the line, in gaps, and is flat out lazy out there. I don’t care if you are a left fielder playing in right, you catch that ball. Game goes out of reach after that terrible play also.

JEREMY
    BP

I agree that wasn’t much of an effort but why is he in right. If Arreaz is out of position where ever he is in the outfield why not at least let Rosario play his normal spot. I don’t like them saying Perez lost it after the 2 out walk cause those runs should all be unearned cause that ball should have been caught. Not defending Rosario at all.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Rosy charged with 3 runs there for his loafing….weird. I said it would bite the team eventually. It’s as much Rocco’s fault for not ripping his a$$ the other 10 times he pulled that crap! Would be tie game after the Jorge bomba but as long as Rosy looked good loafing after the ball, all is well? Rocco is too soft…I would just give him the death stare for a few minutes since he is non confrontational.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah he shouldn’t be playing right, even though that’s not an excuse for that god awful attempt at catching a fly ball.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Glad Castro was in there to strike out with guys on 2nd and 3rd also……

welliou

lets see what is the twins record right now

JEREMY
    BP

Back to a thought from a week or so ago. if Baldelli pinch hits for Schoop late in the game with the tying or go ahead run at the plate with someone with less power but a supposedly hotter bat. Why the blank not pinch hit Garver for Adrianza with tying run at play in the 8th.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Back to a thought from a week or so ago. if Baldelli pinch hits for Schoop late in the game with the tying or go ahead run at the plate with someone with less power but a supposedly hotter bat. Why the blank not pinch hit Garver for Adrianza with tying run at play in the 8th.

Adrianza in all fairness has been one of their hotter hitters.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I agree that wasn’t much of an effort but why is he in right. If Arreaz is out of position where ever he is in the outfield why not at least let Rosario play his normal spot.

My guess is that Rosario is in RF because he has a better arm than Arraez from the OF. Growing up you put your worst player in RF. That’s not the case in MLB. You need a cannon in RF and your LF can be your worst fielder.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Once again, great stuff from Aaron Gleeman. He tweeted that Rosario’s sprint speed has gone down from 28.5 in 2015 to 27.2 this year. That takes him from ranking 82nd in MLB to 258.

He also states that earlier in Rosario’s career he got a boost in defensive metrics more from throwing runners out than from anything having to do with range or putouts. So take away throwing runners out (which happens less and less once opposing teams realize you can do it) and he’s a very average or below average outfielder.

On top of that, I would say throw in a not-so-uncommon lack of effort and he becomes detrimental to the team in the outfield.

FryDog62

Once again, great stuff from Aaron Gleeman. He tweeted that Rosario’s sprint speed has gone down from 28.5 in 2015 to 27.2 this year. That takes him from ranking 82nd in MLB to 258.

He also states that earlier in Rosario’s career he got a boost in defensive metrics more from throwing runners out than from anything having to do with range or putouts. So take away throwing runners out (which happens less and less once opposing teams realize you can do it) and he’s a very average or below average outfielder.

On top of that, I would say throw in a not-so-uncommon lack of effort and he becomes detrimental to the team in the outfield.

Maybe he’s back to smoking weed again? Wonder if he’s starting to act paranoid or getting a case of the the munchies in addition to being lazy..??

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

You know what makes people overcome average sprint speed? Good routes to the baseball. You don’t need great sprint speed to be a great outfielder. You just need to take the right routes. I’ve not seen Rosario take a correct route to the baseball in his career.

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>

You know what makes people overcome average sprint speed? Good routes to the baseball. You don’t need great sprint speed to be a great outfielder. You just need to take the right routes. I’ve not seen Rosario take a correct route to the baseball in his career.

As a former left fielder I couldn’t agree more… I had to do a double take when I saw Arraez actually go straight back on a ball the other night when he was in Left… funny, Eddie is a former second baseman like Arraez… doesn’t always mean the skills transfer I guess..

FryDog62

…like I was saying – Eddie is the best outfielder ever peace

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Austudillo is the best……

Dan
    Southeast MN

I don’t know where you’d find it but I recommend every one of you try and find the catch Astudillo just made in 3rd base foul territory.

Where do I begin???

Upon seeing where the ball is doing Astudillo takes his hat off (what?) like a catcher would. He makes a great catch and then hurries up to high-five a fan, then pump-fakes like there’s a runner to worry about (there wasn’t) then abruptly tosses it to Polanco.

The reaction from Gibson is priceless. Gibby is usually pretty stone-faced and stoic and he seems like he’s amused and trying to suppress a smile. To see emotion out of Gibby was hilarious.

Then they show even the Nationals hitter laughing and shaking his head at what happened.

Personalities in sports can be fun but usually I’m more of the mindset of I’d rather have production and wins first, then I’ll worry about the theatrics and personalities, but man Astudillo is consistently a spark plug and amusing character.

RT
    Twin Cities

Kohl Stewart… what a dandy of an outing.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t know where you’d find it but I recommend every one of you try and find the catch Astudillo just made in 3rd base foul territory.

Where do I begin???

Upon seeing where the ball is doing Astudillo takes his hat off (what?) like a catcher would. He makes a great catch and then hurries up to high-five a fan, then pump-fakes like there’s a runner to worry about (there wasn’t) then abruptly tosses it to Polanco.

The reaction from Gibson is priceless. Gibby is usually pretty stone-faced and stoic and he seems like he’s amused and trying to suppress a smile. To see emotion out of Gibby was hilarious.

Then they show even the Nationals hitter laughing and shaking his head at what happened.

Personalities in sports can be fun but usually I’m more of the mindset of I’d rather have production and wins first, then I’ll worry about the theatrics and personalities, but man Astudillo is consistently a spark plug and amusing character.

Astudillo is great. What isn’t great is that we are about to witness another historic Minnesota sports team collapse. This team WILL NOT win the division if they keep trotting out lineups like this. Not. A. Chance.

RT
    Twin Cities

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>

Where do I begin???

Astudillo is great. What isn’t great is that we are about to witness another historic Minnesota sports team collapse. This team WILL NOT win the division if they keep trotting out lineups like this. Not. A. Chance.

You’re right. I feel if we don’t take 2 of 3 in Cleveland than we’re done.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

AND WHY THE HELL DO THEY KEEP BRINGING COLE FREAKING STEWART BACK!!!!! flame flame flame

Baldelli just giving games away with his pitcher selection.

FryDog62

I wonder if we concede the division now to Cleveland if they would give us an extra draft pick in the spring..?

Viewing 30 posts - 1,111 through 1,140 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.