Twins 2019

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said. “Was it probably his best start as far as execution on the year? No, but I thought he threw plenty good enough to keep us in the game.

Good enough to keep you in the game?:???: You were down 1-zip after the first freekin pitch. After the 2nd pitch to Betts you were down 4.

I’m worried.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Damn. I forgot to use the sarcasm font again.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Damn. I forgot to use the sarcasm font again.

I tried using the sarcasm emoji but your picture just kept popping up. grin

JEREMY
    BP

Why does Baldelli keep taking Schoop out with the bases loaded for guys with no power.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Twins took the lead with that decision

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Exactly. Because Arraez doesn’t strike out and sprays the ball everywhere. Great move.

Also, how about Tyler Duffey being unhittable for the last month? Never saw that coming!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

GREAT WIN!!!!!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

What a freaking throw!

Dan
    Southeast MN

6.5 game lead, magic number is 16.

Blemishes aside, that’s a pretty solid series and just what they needed. Better to be a Twins fan than a Cleveland fan at this moment.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What a freaking throw!

The only bad thing about it was I jumped up and spilled my cocktail. toast

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

Exactly. Because Arraez doesn’t strike out and sprays the ball everywhere. Great move.

Also, how about Tyler Duffey being unhittable for the last month? Never saw that coming!

That was Astudillo PH for Schoop, not Arraez, but point remains true.

Yes, Duffey has been a very nice surprise lately. Heck, the whole bullpen has been solid in the last month, except Dyson is still a little iffy.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

That was Astudillo PH for Schoop, not Arraez, but point remains true.

Yes, Duffey has been a very nice surprise lately. Heck, the whole bullpen has been solid in the last month, except Dyson is still a little iffy.

Ah you’re right! Arraez had the first rbi single. Same goes for Austudillo though. Sprays the ball and doesn’t strike out.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

does Arraez have a chance at the batting title? I haven’t heard anyone talk about it during games so I am guessing not enough plate appearances. anyway nice win by the team!

division may be wrapped up with a couple wins against the Indians. looking at the standings, the twins have the 3rd best run differential in MLB. with that said, the bats may be able to carry spotty pitching? I got nothing to complain about as I have not been watching the garbage they have put out last 5 years but now that #7 is gone and they spent some coin on guys like Cruz, Cron, and Schoop, I can watch some balls leave the infield! meaningful games in september have not been here in a loooooooong time.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I’m going to say this for the third time in this thread and hopefully one person actually reads it…..
    Berrios’ isn’t losing velocity because of arm problems. It’s pitch selection. Bert, Smalley and Morris have said this over the last month as well. When a guy starts using a two seamer over his four seamer (which Berrios CLEARLY has) you are going to see a drop in velocity. It’s a slower pitch. That’s why he’s not busting people inside like he was earlier in the year, it’s why his pitches are coming back over the heart of the plate or 6 inches off the outside corner, and why he’s only throwing 92 instead of 94-95……..It’s not rocket science.

Steps off soapbox.

Your first mistake was actually believing what Bert, Smalley, and Morris had to say. Jack Morris talks about the game like he hasnt watched a baseball game since he retired 25 years ago. Dude is an idiot.

Anyway, I ignored it the first few times because youre flat out wrong and I didnt want to look like an moon (I know, its not the first time- nor will it be the last). Berrios’ average four seamer in the month of Aug was 92.59 mph. Lowest velocity of his entire career. Two seam/sinker? 91.45 mph. Also the lowest of his career. Thankfully it came up a tick in his most recent start, but still well below his career average- even at this point of the season. Clearly something is going on and it has absolutely nothing to do with his pitch selection like those fools like to talk about.

Then the claim that hes “CLEARLY” using his two seam/sinker more now than ever before is also extremely false. As you can see below, his pitch selections %s have remained consistent the entire season, even through August when his velocity really started to dip. Then you’ll notice in his only start in September (BOS) he predominately used his four seamer over his two seam/sinker (38% to 18%) and STILL hit 94+ mph only 9 times. As I mentioned in another post, he hit 94+ 35 times in his last start vs BOS back in June. Over Berrios’ career we have seen his velocity dip at this point of the season each of the last few years, but this is the lowest its ever been. Still, im a lot more concerned with his effectiveness down the stretch and in the playoffs than I am about him needing TJ or any thing else. In my opinion, I still think he just needs rest.

Its baseball, its not meant to be rocket science.

Attachments:
    1. fullsizeoutput_b9.jpeg

2. fullsizeoutput_b8.jpeg

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Oops, for the few of you that are actually interested, sorry the screen shots are a little small.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/landing.php?player=621244

Click “Velocity and Movement” for monthly averages of velocity of each pitch over his career

Click “Usage and Outcomes” for pitch selection percentages of each pitch over his career.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Tbro somewhere along the way it seems you have decided you are God’s gift to the world. I think I’d sooner welcome back Dutchboys grouchiness then your arrogance

JEREMY
    BP

Exactly. Because Arraez doesn’t strike out and sprays the ball everywhere.

Actually when they pinch hit Arreaz in that situation a few games ago he struck out.

JEREMY
    BP

does Arraez have a chance at the batting title?

I believe you have to average 3.5 plate appearances per team games played. He started to late to have a chance.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Actually when they pinch hit Arreaz in that situation a few games ago he struck out.

On a couple called strikes outside the strike zone.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Tbro somewhere along the way it seems you have decided you are God’s gift to the world. I think I’d sooner welcome back Dutchboys grouchiness then your arrogance

I mean, you can dislike the delivery, but he’s absolutely right. The data’s right there. I’d rather look at actual data than listen to Jack Morris and Bert Blyleven, who both absolutely hate baseball and will find any opportunity to rip a current era pitcher.

Related: That’s why I love Jim Kaat. He can critique and occasionally bemoan the differences in today’s game, but he’s not constantly bashing it. If baseball’s struggling to get young fans interested in the game, maybe they should promote broadcasters who actually enjoy it rather than those who just say how bad the game has become all the time.

JEREMY
    BP

On a couple called strikes outside the strike zone.

Obviously its the umps fault he tried to take a pitch a 1/4″ off the inside of the plate with the game on the line.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Obviously its the umps fault he tried to take a pitch a 1/4″ off the inside of the plate with the game on the line.

Obviously.

Maybe they should just leave him on the bench or AAA.

JEREMY
    BP

Ya thats what I said! I think hes is great and will be great what I said is I don’t understand why you would take Schoop out in that situation. Down by three with bases loaded I would think you would leave the guy with 21 homers in thats been a power surge at the time. Last night at least Astudillo got the hit, but Schoops career avg against the pitcher was .385. That’s what I said I don’t understand. I didn’t say anything about the pinch hitters being bad players but think w-t-f you want.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Because you want to put the ball in play for a high percentage opportunity. Not a popup to the center fielder. Why the F wouldn’t you put in your best hitter in that situation? Give the damn kid some big situation experience for Pete’s sake.

I can’t believe I’m arguing about one single insignificant move by Baldelli. You win.

JEREMY
    BP

If you wanna thinks thats arguing okay. I was just asking a question. But hey thanks for making my work day pass by faster.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you wanna thinks thats arguing okay. I was just asking a question. But hey thanks for making my work day pass by faster.

Work?

I didn’t realize the people here actually work. devil

Dan
    Southeast MN

I didn’t realize the people here actually work

I would argue (there’s that work again) that conversations on here see an uptick when people are at work.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Tbro you are God’s gift to the world.

Thanks man! Go Twins!

Viewing 30 posts - 1,021 through 1,050 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.