Twins 2019

• RT
    Twin Cities

Dobnaks got one of the best stories on the team year. Drove an Uber less than two years ago and now he’s starting in the big leagues at Fenway Park.

But it’s tough to top Smeltzer beating childhood cancer to make it into the majors.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Of course…..I whine about the opener and what do you know they blank the Sox for the first four innings with it….. roll

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Why don’t they show more of the “home run trot” or at least the bat flip?
    Back in the seventies I remember watching Reggie hit a HR and they would show him all the way to rounding 1st. Some of the trots and bat flips were legendary.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

They always make sure they get a shot of the pitcher swearing, or sometimes swearing into his glove. I’d much rather see the flip n trot…..

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

This opener thing though, pisses me off.

This is the least surprising thing I’ll see all day jester

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Cuz they don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. These are all frail millennials now.

JEREMY
    BP

Homerun trots are as stupid as endzone dances. Do your job and quit being so friggen arrogant. Every time I answer the phone at work and sell something doesn’t make me wanna moon walk down the hallway.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Every time I answer the phone at work and sell something doesn’t make me wanna moon walk down the hallway.

You should start, sales would go up almost immediately… waytogo

JEREMY
    BP

To be honest after I said that I thought if I could I probably would.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

Cuz they don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. These are all frail millennials now.

This is sarcastic right? It’s so very obvious that it’s the old farts who can’t handle when someone gets excited about a homerun.

Homerun trots are as stupid as endzone dances. Do your job and quit being so friggen arrogant. Every time I answer the phone at work and sell something doesn’t make me wanna moon walk down the hallway.

How do you feel about pitcher’s fist pumping a big strikeout? Or shooting a bow and arrow after getting a save?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This is sarcastic right? It’s so very obvious that it’s the old farts who can’t handle when someone gets excited about a homerun.

I’m a gen x but I identify and a millennial.

JEREMY
    BP

Im not saying theres anything wrong with getting excited. Maybe I should have thought a little first. I don’t like the fist pump or the homerun trot when your getting your ars kicked. Or in football ball when your down 30-10 and celebrate making a 7 yard diving catch on 3rd and 9. Or when the cornerback makes a tackle after the receiver already burned ya for a 35yd catch. If you wanna shot your bow after a save or flip your bat after a walk off or go ahead homer more power to ya. Who wouldn’t be a little cocky in that situation.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Im not saying theres anything wrong with getting excited. Maybe I should have thought a little first. I don’t like the fist pump or the homerun trot when your getting your ars kicked. Or in football ball when your down 30-10 and celebrate making a 7 yard diving catch on 3rd and 9. Or when the cornerback makes a tackle after the receiver already burned ya for a 35yd catch. If you wanna shot your bow after a save or flip your bat after a walk off or go ahead homer more power to ya. Who wouldn’t be a little cocky in that situation.

That seems like a very reasonable stance, thanks for clarifying!

I personally hate the double standard between pitchers and batters in MLB. The pitcher can throw an absolute temper tantrum or showboat til the cows come home and the batter can’t and wouldn’t do anything about it.

But as soon as that batter takes a fraction of a second longer to get to 1st base than the pitcher thinks he should, he just gets to chuck a baseball 95mph into their back because of ‘unwritten rules’.

Dude, if someone just jacked a 450 foot bomb off of that fastball you just grooved, suck it up. You’d admire the crap out of it too!

It seems like a way more prevalent opinion among ‘old school’ players/fans(could be wrong though). Which is just really bizarre to me.

Old school baseball dude: “Kids these days are such babies/snowflakes, participation trophies, blah blah blah, wimps, blah blah, etc. etc.”

Same dude: “Wahhhhh, that mean batter who just hit one 500 feet wanted to watch it for literally 1 second and that hurt my fragile little feelings. A commensurate reaction will be for someone to throw this baseball 95mph at them, yes, that seems like the right recourse”

Pitchers are the real snowflakes, don’t let anyone tell you different chased I’m glad we didn’t get Madison Bumgarner, he’s the biggest of babies on the mound.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    Berrios……. doah

…..not looking good

X3 What the $@&^!!!

I dont care if he is the future, I dont care if he has the best stuff on the staff this kid cannot be our game 1 starter in the playoffs.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I dont care if he is the future, I dont care if he has the best stuff on the staff this kid cannot be our game 1 starter in the playoffs.

Twins ownership/management says he can, and will be.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Berrios needs to go on the 10 day IL. Dead Arm.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Fake news. He was hitting 94. That’s not dead arm. Can’t believe people are still claiming this.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Dead arm wouldn’t be my first claim, but I agree he needs to visit the IL. Throw the “elbow tightness” or “forearm stiffness” tag on him and let him skip a start. In his last start vs Boston back in June, Berrios threw 35 fastballs 94+. Tonight? Just 9. Mechanics are off, velocity has been down for a month now. Something clearly isnt quite right, not sure rest is gonna fix it, but throwing him out there every 5th day to watch him get rocked again and again sure as hell isn’t.

JEREMY
    BP

I liked listening to im sure it was Jim Kaat on the game the last two nights talking about Berrios. Said it Tuesday and during game last night. If you cant locate your pitches what is an extra day off gonna do. Put him out there on less days rest. You cant fix a problem by watching from the bench.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Put him out there on less days rest. You cant fix a problem by watching from the bench.

Fool proof logic. What could go wrong? hah

FryDog62

“Dead arm wouldn’t be my first claim, but I agree he needs to visit the IL. Throw the “elbow tightness” or “forearm stiffness”

This… the bigger concern is that it’s early signs of ulnar stress that leads to TJ surgery. It can affect velocity some, but more often the pitcher overcompensates and this affects mechanics – and ultimately loses commend/control of their pitches (like Kaat alluded to). It’s a game of inches and when your off just a tad it can show up in the box score.

A ton of pitchers throughout recent history have the nebulous forearm/elbow stint only to end up with surgery within a year… and then lose another year in recovery.

Most teams/players will go as long as they can in this situation – especially if in a playoff run.

…don’t be surprised if something comes out later about his condition (I’m sure they’ve already had an MRI) or early next year that Jose pays a visit to Dr. Andrews..

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Any promising pitchers should get TJ surgery after they leave A ball just to get it out of the way. May had it and now throws 97. This guy they got in the minors that throws 100 plus is guaranteed to need it the next 3 years….book it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

or, he’s just having a bad run. No need to over think or over analyze, many times it may be in his head.

R E L A X coffee , still one of the best years we’ve had in a LONG time, no matter how it ends

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

R E L A X coffee , still one of the best years we’ve had in a LONG time, no matter how it ends

I’m usually the first one to sarcastically recommend that but right now the guy we considered our ace wouldn’t start in the playoffs for any other team. I’ll certainly enjoy the rest of the season but if he’s our game 1 starter, I’m very nervous.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m going to say this for the third time in this thread and hopefully one person actually reads it…..

Berrios’ isn’t losing velocity because of arm problems. It’s pitch selection. Bert, Smalley and Morris have said this over the last month as well. When a guy starts using a two seamer over his four seamer (which Berrios CLEARLY has) you are going to see a drop in velocity. It’s a slower pitch. That’s why he’s not busting people inside like he was earlier in the year, it’s why his pitches are coming back over the heart of the plate or 6 inches off the outside corner, and why he’s only throwing 92 instead of 94-95……..It’s not rocket science.

Steps off soapbox.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Berrios’ isn’t losing velocity because of arm problems. It’s pitch selection

Well he should switch back to the 4 seamer then, because that 2 seamer keeps running into bats! I saw a heat graphic online of Berrios early in the year when he was good, and his last like 8 starts and whatever he’s throwing now is meat on the platter, and he was painting corners earlier in the year.

Viewing 30 posts - 991 through 1,020 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.