Twins 2019

• BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>RT wrote:</div>
    Yup, Bremer does a great job.

I like him too waytogo

I was wondering who the two were…well and maybe Biggill, but his post is a little ambiguous jester . I don’t hate Bremer (spoiler alert, this might ruin him for you), but some acknowledgement that fans watching baseball might know some of the basic rules would go a long way. For example EVERY time there’s a 3-2 count with 2 outs, he points out the runners will be going, thanks Dick, we know. Also, for someone who goes to every game he constantly misjudges fly balls, line drives etc. Like the other night Arraez his a soft liner to center that wouldn’t have rolled to the CF position, but that was a “rope”, Rosario takes a huge cut, but obviously mis-timed the pitch and that was a “DEEEEEP flyball” that the outfielder barely moved to catch, and he never admits when he’s wrong. Personally I love when the Twins are on national TV.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

LOLOLOLOL What a Moron!

What a Richard. bawling

Anyone who doesn’t like Dick is insecure.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I was going to go the route Gill went but didn’t have the courage. Now that that can of worms is opened up…

I’m a big fan of Dick and have been my whole life. I just like his demeanor and “announcer’s voice. Ran into him at Twinsfest one year and got a picture and chatted. What started it all was hearing the voice I hear on TV more than anyone else, it’s unmistakable. You know it’s Dick when you hear him.

Jokes (somewhat) aside too, he is somewhat active on Twitter and doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously at all, I think he’s still an average guy who likes to have fun and loves sports. He often posts pictures of ice fishing up north too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

somebody queue the Squirrel…this team needs to wake up today!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’m indifferent towards Dick but I cannot stand that Bert Blyleven recites every pitchers stat line. Dude, I can read the screen. Bert is great but that drives me nuts.

I do like it when they have other guys on the broadcast. I think Roy Smalley does a great job and sometimes he just completely ignores Bremer. That is brilliant.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m sure Dick is a great guy. That doesn’t make him a great announcer. When a slightly above average play is made by a Twin and he says “you won’t see a better play than that” or the other night when Schoop made a backhand play in the hole and threw a guy out on the run and Dick says “you won’t find another second baseman in the league that can make that play” when EVERY SINGLE second baseman in the league can make it. Then a guy from the other team makes a great play and he barely says anything about it. He’s a bigger homer than Paul Allen. Can’t listen to him.

Oh and don’t get me started on the 37 pitches that he incorrectly calls during each game…… mrgreen

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

No one is a bigger homer than Paul Allen……except maybe Greg Coleman. I love it when Coleman is so exasperated in the locker room after a loss.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I like talking about Dick as much as the next guy but I think it’s run its course.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Guys, don’t get me all riled up here. Both Bremer and PA are very good announcers. If you don’t like the fact that they are for the home team – then I think something is wrong with you. Seriously.

Tell me…. who would you like to be the announcer? Who would do a better job?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Guys, don’t get me all riled up here. Both Bremer and PA are very good announcers. If you don’t like the fact that they are for the home team – then I think something is wrong with you. Seriously.

Tell me…. who would you like to be the announcer? Who would do a better job?

I like the radio guy a lot. Corey Provus? He calls the game the way it happens and doesn’t add in a bunch of extra crap that nobody cares about.

And for the record I don’t mind PA when he calls games. He doesn’t think everything the Vikings does is the best thing that’s ever happened to the game. He gets excited which is fine but he acknowledges when the Vikes do something stupid or when an opponent does something well. Bremer has bigger blinders on than a racehorse.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think Roy Smalley does a great job and sometimes he just completely ignores Bremer. That is brilliant.

Says it all right there. I also love Morris. The man know EVERYTHING about baseball and says whatever the eff he wants to. He calls it like he sees it which is VERY refreshing for MN Sports commentators.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Hey look at least we dont have the announcer for the white Sox’s. I wish he would “be gone”. Most annoying catch phrase of all time

RT
    Twin Cities

It’s apparent that the Bremer haters don’t appreciate the man’s positivity towards the team and fans. Is he perfect, no, but better than most.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I like talking about Dick as much as the next guy but I think it’s run its course.

I agree, it pretty much has Petered out. wink

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

For as many dead horses we have lying around this site I thought I’d be able to get a little more run out of that…… doah

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

For as many dead horses we have lying around this site I thought I’d be able to get a little more run out of that…… doah

It started out pretty strong, but now continues to shrink.

JEREMY
    BP

It started out pretty strong, but now continues to shrink.

Are you saying all the talk about Dick started out strong and hard but has now gone kinda limp. (mahtofire14) All jokes aside everyone can have their own opinion obviously I was just saying earlier I watch or at least have baseball on a lot. Yes im probably bias cause hes our hometown guy, but I will take him over most everyone else by far. Gotta remember its his job to talk for 2-4 hours everyday depending on how long the game is and baseball is pretty slow. 2-4hrs 162 times a year if you think you can please and entertain everyone everyday maybe your in the wrong business.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I think one thing that gets lost about home team announcers is that they are trying to “Sell” the broadcast and therefore trying to sell the team. I get the impression a lot of fans completely dismiss the interaction between the announcers and team members over the course of the season. I cant see critical Debbie Downers or wet rags on the fire bringing in ad revenue or getting cooperation out of the organization.

Do a lot of people have regrets about their job that they don’t have the opportunity to work with more jerks?

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I cannot believe how much I’ve been cheering for the BoSox, Yankees, and Mets these past few weeks. Just feels wrong. CLE went 3-7 against those clubs since tying the Twins for the division lead. Twins need to clean up these next 3 series and put CLE out of contention. Unfortunately their schedule is relatively easy from here on out, too.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

So if we make the playoffs does Rocco just do paper rock scissors to decide who the game 1 starter is?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Berrios has been looking really good in his last 4 starts. flame

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

So if we make the playoffs does Rocco just do paper rock scissors to decide who the game 1 starter is?

He will go Berrios. But he better figure out his location before then or his results won’t be any better. It sounds like Graderol will be up in a week or two as a reliever. I wish they’d let him start a few games to see if he can hang in the bigs instead of at reliever. He would be a help in both spots so it’s a tough decision.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The Tigers had a lead off runner every inning except the 9th.
    The Twins now have 251 Dingers.
    I’m not sure if the playoffs are going to be fun to watch or make me cry.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Or go through ALOT of Crown….

FryDog62

The Twins lack of pitching will overcome their ability to hit home runs in key series against quality teams. Could be a lot of homer hankies used as crying towels once the playoffs start…

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

He will go Berrios. But he better figure out his location before then or his results won’t be any better.

A lot of problems with Berrios lately but I think the biggest concern is his sudden drop in velocity in his four seamer. Berrios has sat in the 93.7-94.6 mph range pretty much his entire career, but in the month of August his average fastball has been just 92.74 mph. I’m not overly concerned about it yet, but if its an arm fatigue problem then… yikes.

FryDog62

“A lot of problems with Berrios lately but I think the biggest concern is his sudden drop in velocity in his four seamer. Berrios has sat in the 93.7-94.6 mph range pretty much his entire career, but in the month of August his average fastball has been just 92.74 mph. I’m not overly concerned about it yet, but if its an arm fatigue problem then… yikes.”

It is a concern in that the velocity and his results have dropped, yet he’s out there in the rotation every 5th day trying to pitch through it. If you look at many of the past Tommy John surgery victims the pattern is much the same. In other words, let’s push through the season and let the chips fall where they may when it’s done.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I mean sure, if you want to be the typical MN sports fan then you can assume the worst (dont necessarily blame you). And dont mean to assume you’re wrong, because I simply dont know. But, I’m not ready to convince myself its arm fatigue and a need for Tommy John quite yet. Could be a loooot of different things. More specific on the velocity, he had 3 consecutive starts where velocity was at its lowest all season (starts vs MIA, ATL, and CLE) but in his two most recent starts the velocity was back up a bit, closer to 94 mph. I still think, and hope, its adjustments that had been made or need to be made in the funky windup hes got.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    He will go Berrios. But he better figure out his location before then or his results won’t be any better.

A lot of problems with Berrios lately but I think the biggest concern is his sudden drop in velocity in his four seamer. Berrios has sat in the 93.7-94.6 mph range pretty much his entire career, but in the month of August his average fastball has been just 92.74 mph. I’m not overly concerned about it yet, but if its an arm fatigue problem then… yikes.

His fastball velocity is down because he is throwing almost exclusively two seamers. His four seamer is still 93-95 he just hasn’t been throwing it. He isn’t able to bust anyone inside because he’s throwing that damn two seamer in and it breaks back out over the plate and gets pounded. Throw a four seamer in the same spot it stays inside and breaks their bat.

Perez was going through the same thing, throwing his cutter almost exclusively and was getting pummeled. Smalley talked about it last night. The last few starts he’s looked pretty good again and it’s because he’s using his four seamer.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I mean sure, if you want to be the typical MN sports fan then you can assume the worst (dont necessarily blame you). And dont mean to assume you’re wrong, because I simply dont know. But, I’m not ready to convince myself its arm fatigue and a need for Tommy John quite yet. Could be a loooot of different things. More specific on the velocity, he had 3 consecutive starts where velocity was at its lowest all season (starts vs MIA, ATL, and CLE) but in his two most recent starts the velocity was back up a bit, closer to 94 mph. I still think, and hope, its adjustments that had been made or need to be made in the funky windup hes got.

What do you mean funky windup? He has great mechanics and they aren’t very unusual.

Viewing 30 posts - 901 through 930 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.