Twins 2019

• moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

25 of the remaining 37 games are against CHW, KC, and DET. Add in the fact that September roster expansion means non-contending teams will be running out AA arms and bats and a failure to win this division would take a catastrophic meltdown. It’s MN sports so anything can happen I guess but realistically they should have the division easy.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I think we made the right move by not trading for 1 starting pitcher as we would of needed at least a couple!

Twins front office must love you. Yeah, why even try???

JoeMX1825
    MN

September expanded rosters happen in 10 days, Twins will likely call up their 2 young flame throwers from AAA (Graterol and Alcala) Should be fun watching these two throw some heat…Graterol hit 103.8 on the stadium’s radar gun a few nights ago (video of it is on the net, Catcher almost missed the fastball…)

Dan
    Southeast MN

Lindy I went back and re-read walley man’s post and the way I took it is that the Twins are hurting so bad for SP that making one big move wouldn’t have even helped much. In some cases he could be right. Man they’re rough lately. I didn’t think Gibby was all that bad last night actually, he had quick innings and it helped a TON to have him to into the 7th in a loss.

Having Cruz back is great, and honestly it’s still so funny to say that when everyone is back (like Buxton) they have some tough decisions to make for the roster (depending on when he comes back). At this point you can’t send Tony Gwynn (Arraez) anywhere and Ehire has been a real pleasant surprise this year too.

They’ve gotta rebound and pound the Sox today and tomorrow. Maybe it’s the Twins fan in me but when they get into a day-followed-by-night-game scenario I typically hope for going 1-1 at best, but now they dug a hole and need to win both.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

With Buxton out another 2 weeks from what I’m hearing, it would sure be fun to bring Kirilloff up and see what he can do. I don’t hate Jake Cave and he’s actually been swinging the bat pretty well the last week, but I’d love to see what the kid can do and don’t imagine it would hurt the lineup too much.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleye Man42 wrote:</div>
    I think we made the right move by not trading for 1 starting pitcher as we would of needed at least a couple!

Twins front office must love you. Yeah, why even try???

He really isn’t that far off, as maddening as it was. But given the way the Astros have lined up their rotation with Grienke and the Braves, Dodgers, blah, blah, blah. I was pretty mad after the deadline but really only about Strohman. I felt they had a good shot at them but they got that first offer and didn’t like it, and the Twins turned their noses at the Jays from there on out and missed the steal of the deadline.

It may however turn out to work out in the Twins favor as they kept all their prospects and can (I can’t believe I’m saying this) target pitchers in the off season……..Ok, now you can all bash me for that take…. chased

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It may however turn out to work out in the Twins favor as they kept all their prospects and can (I can’t believe I’m saying this) target pitchers in the off season……..Ok, now you can all bash me for that take….

But, where are the twins going to find the payroll for starting pitching? They’re only down $9M from last season.

I’m sure they’re still paying off their loans from paying Mauer.

Dan
    Southeast MN

But, where are the twins going to find the payroll for starting pitching? They’re only down $9M from last season.

For those that always wanted to use Mauer’s contract as the scapegoat, maybe they’ll blame the ghost of his contract?

Yeah we didn’t make a big starting pitching trade but they still had two free agents who they could’ve signed, well, all off-season, then early in the season (Heavens no, not a 3rd-round pick!), then after that compensation pick deal in June, etc.

Mahto you’re right to some extent that this could work out in their favor. The problem is that as average as their rotation has been this year they’re likely to be missing 2 or more starters of that group and, given Twins strategic history, I don’t see any scenario where those replacements are an upgrade.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

For those that always wanted to use Mauer’s contract as the scapegoat, maybe they’ll blame the ghost of his contract?

Yeah we didn’t make a big starting pitching trade but they still had two free agents who they could’ve signed, well, all off-season, then early in the season (Heavens no, not a 3rd-round pick!), then after that compensation pick deal in June, etc.

Mahto you’re right to some extent that this could work out in their favor. The problem is that as average as their rotation has been this year they’re likely to be missing 2 or more starters of that group and, given Twins strategic history, I don’t see any scenario where those replacements are an upgrade.

I’m hoping the combination of losing 2-3 arms from their current rotation and the effects their poor starting pitching had on this season will force them to make some big moves. It’s a relative because like you said, I think this is the third season in a row I’ve said this so who the hell knows…..

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    It may however turn out to work out in the Twins favor as they kept all their prospects and can (I can’t believe I’m saying this) target pitchers in the off season……..Ok, now you can all bash me for that take….

I’m sure they’re still paying off their loans from paying Mauer.

I heard they made a killing on all those $1 tickets they sold this year……

BigWerm
    SW Metro

“For many years, the Twins cited “50 percent of revenue” as what they would/could spend on player payroll. According to Forbes, their revenue was $261 million in 2017. It figures to approach $300 million this season. Their current payroll is $96 million. Not even close.”
    “I assumed the Twins would sign one or two late-inning relievers. They had plenty of money and it was a deep free agent class. Instead, they watched 10 quality options sign reasonable contracts elsewhere while adding only Blake Parker…”
    And finally his list of relievers among his top 50 free agents:
    “#8 Kimbrel- Unsigned
    #15 David Rovertson-$23m/2
    #21 Jeurys Familia-$30m/3
    #23 Andrew Miller-$25m/2
    #24 Adam Ottavino-$27m/3
    #26 Zach Britton-$39/3
    #36 Joakim Soria-$15m/2
    #38 Cody Allen-$8.5m/1
    #44 Joe Kelly-$25m/3”

Seems like a good time to bump up this post from page 1 of this thread (from Aaron Gleeman’s tweet)

Dan
    Southeast MN

On a positive note, I do believe “fat kid” has been doing well.

Walleye Man42

Thank god we did not sign Keuchel or Kimbrel. We need more than one starting pitcher to win a playoff series. Our best starting pitcher for the last two months is pitching tonight. Hopefully he can go 6. I agree with Mahtofire that this will work out in our favor and we sign some pitching in the offseason.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

On a positive note, I do believe “fat kid” has been doing well.

And “Buston” too, when he’s healthy…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    “For many years, the Twins cited “50 percent of revenue” as what they would/could spend on player payroll. According to Forbes, their revenue was $261 million in 2017. It figures to approach $300 million this season. Their current payroll is $96 million. Not even close.”
    “I assumed the Twins would sign one or two late-inning relievers. They had plenty of money and it was a deep free agent class. Instead, they watched 10 quality options sign reasonable contracts elsewhere while adding only Blake Parker…”
    And finally his list of relievers among his top 50 free agents:
    “#8 Kimbrel- Unsigned
    #15 David Rovertson-$23m/2
    #21 Jeurys Familia-$30m/3
    #23 Andrew Miller-$25m/2
    #24 Adam Ottavino-$27m/3
    #26 Zach Britton-$39/3
    #36 Joakim Soria-$15m/2
    #38 Cody Allen-$8.5m/1
    #44 Joe Kelly-$25m/3”

Seems like a good time to bump up this post from page 1 of this thread (from Aaron Gleeman’s tweet)

I totally agree with what Gleeman wrote, but it’s really interesting to look at each one of those pitchers stat lines for 2019. There are only 2 pitchers on that list with an ERA under 3.00 (Ottavino, Britton) and only 3 under 4.00 (Ottavino, Britton, Miller). And the majority are over 5.00!

Crazy how the season can play out after all the $$ flies during the offseason.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Is a “Rally Squirrel” the new Twins mascot?

B-man

Hell of a fifth inning. Gotta a little squirrelly for the Sox jester

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Did they change brands of bubblegum from last night? Geepers, maybe it was the squirrel, but they teed off tonight.
    No doubt ,if there aren’t yet, we will have stuffed rally squirrels for sale at Target field, and all Targets asap.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Did they change brands of bubblegum from last night? Geepers, maybe it was the squirrel, but they teed off tonight.
    No doubt ,if there aren’t yet, we will have stuffed rally squirrels for sale at Target field, and all Targets asap.

They will if that idiot Bremer has anything to say about it. He wouldn’t shutup about that thing…..

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Is a “Rally Squirrel” the new Twins mascot?

That media will beat that into the ground over and over.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Somewhere in a dark basement right now somebody is gluing a taxidermed squirrel to a helmet…to be seen at your next Twins game..

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Tony Gwynn (Arraez)

Its so interesting you made that comparison cause i was watching him hit last night and thought the same thing. his stance and posture is just like him too and also just like Gwynn he is a tough out who hits to all fields and lacks power.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Doesn’t need power if hitting like that. He will hit around maybe 10-12 homeruns if playing a full season. Fun to watch him each at bat.

B-man

Somewhere in a dark basement right now somebody is gluing a taxidermed squirrel to a helmet…to be seen at your next Twins game..

Oh hell yeah! Love it yay

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pailofperch wrote:</div>

Squirrels named Rocco & Bullwinkle… (insert rim shot)

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

My basement is pretty well lit and I wired it on, but yeah
    #rally squirrel is ready to go smash

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>
    Tony Gwynn (Arraez)

Its so interesting you made that comparison cause i was watching him hit last night and thought the same thing. his stance and posture is just like him too and also just like Gwynn he is a tough out who hits to all fields and lacks power.

But if he starts getting under those singles a bit more AND starts hitting them 200 feet farther in the air, he will be the next Barry Bonds!

JEREMY
    BP

They will if that idiot Bremer has anything to say about it

Call him what you will but I will take him over most every other teams announcers. Just watch an episode of quick pitch and listen to other teams guys make calls. Especially that whats his nuts Micheal Kay from the Yankees. Hate that guy.

RT
    Twin Cities

Yup, Bremer does a great job.

B-man

Yup, Bremer does a great job.

I like him too waytogo

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I like Dick.

Viewing 30 posts - 871 through 900 (of 1,430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.